Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

need to re think my course of study...

Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
tim allan has a spectacular aura abouttim allan has a spectacular aura about

tim allan's Tacoma Gallery
need to re think my course of study...

any suggestions, I was going for associates in civil engineering but thats not going to work, no one will look at you with just an associates in civil around here

open to pretty much anything
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
trowlan1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
trowlan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim allan View Post
any suggestions, I was going for associates in civil engineering but thats not going to work, no one will look at you with just an associates in civil around here

open to pretty much anything
I'd consider a bachelors in Construction Management. It's a really popular field to get into right now. I've received 6 job offers since last March. I just graduated with my 4 yr degree last May from Georgia Southern University, and I loved it. Right after graduation I took a job on the new Nuke project in Waynesboro, GA and it was really cool (Made around 49-50k/yr. "monthly equivalent" ). You get to see alot of cool things in construction that you wouldn't see elsewhere. Major was made for me. I now work for a Project Management firm as scheduler/ project controls (Make around 58k "monthly equivalent") Thought a/b Civil Engineering or Civil Tech., but don't really like the math, and never wanted to do design work. Clemson also has a good Constr. Mgnt. program. I had a friend that worked at the Nuke site that did Construction Engineering at NC State. I think he liked it there.

If you have any more questions PM me.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
LEEP is on a distinguished road
Name: LEE
LEEP's Tacoma Gallery
NURSING
Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
eckcessive is on a distinguished road

Name: Ken
eckcessive's Tacoma Gallery
My bro. has Bachelors in Construction Management and lost his job and couldn't find one. Been outta work from that for 1.5yrs.

Most anything you do, you'll want higher than an Associates. The only 2yr type program I can think off that gets you good money is nursing. I'd say buckle down and get a 4yr degree, computer field is always an option.

I'm in computers (servers/databases) btw...
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Complete the BA in Civil Engineering. I've got a Civil Engineering degree and a concentration in construction management. If construction goes downhill, I've always got the civil degree to fall back on. If you've got an engineering degree, a lot of people are willing to hire you, even if it's not in your field.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever you REALLY want to do. Contruction Management is a good field, but the only guy I know who did it said you pretty much had to have a Master's to get anywhere.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckcessive View Post
My bro. has Bachelors in Construction Management and lost his job and couldn't find one. Been outta work from that for 1.5yrs.

Most anything you do, you'll want higher than an Associates. The only 2yr type program I can think off that gets you good money is nursing. I'd say buckle down and get a 4yr degree, computer field is always an option.

I guess it depends on where you live. Like I said I've got 6 job offers. Civil Engineering is a great field as well, I just hated math/physics, so it wouldn't work for me. It's not a bad idea either though. You can get a job in the same locations as a CM major, but you have broader options in the industry. However, I feel Construction Management gives you the option to ease into other management fields easier. It's all a matter of perspective. Regardless, I love the Construction Field.

Also, I have mostly worked in the Highway/Heavy Civil markets, which seem to be more stable than commercial/residential markets. A civil degree could probably go farther for me in my current job.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Computer Science. There are a lot of jobs in my area available for people with an Associates in Computer Science. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
Whatever you REALLY want to do. Contruction Management is a good field, but the only guy I know who did it said you pretty much had to have a Master's to get anywhere.
I'm considering getting a Masters in Construction Science and Management from Clemson. I don't feel like it's something I really "Have" to do, but I think it will probably yield better results faster. Certifications also help alot: PMP from PMI (Project Management Professional), CCM from CMAA (Certified Construction Manager), etc.

Hope this thread is helpful to the original discussion......
Old 02-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting my degree in Computer Science.... It's a good area to major in.. The possibilities are endless.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm working on an Associates in Manufacturing Engineering. I've been looking at jobs, and most want a Bachelors degree or related experience. I'm hoping my 30 plus years in manufacturing will be enough to get my foot in someones door. We'll see.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
fishnhunt is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
fishnhunt's Tacoma Gallery
Take something you enjoy!

FWI- unemployment is highest among young people who have educations.

The labour force lacks people tho, Im in the same seat

GOOD LUCK
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #13
Thank you to all our miltary personnel for serving
TyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
TyT's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Bachelors in Business/Computer Science! The opportunities are endless!

Ty
Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #14
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
medical field...Especially in technical/engineering, cant ship that to India or china, at least not yet.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #15
eckcessive is on a distinguished road

Name: Ken
eckcessive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckcessive View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowlan1 View Post
I guess it depends on where you live. Like I said I've got 6 job offers. Civil Engineering is a great field as well, I just hated math/physics, so it wouldn't work for me. It's not a bad idea either though. You can get a job in the same locations as a CM major, but you have broader options in the industry. However, I feel Construction Management gives you the option to ease into other management fields easier. It's all a matter of perspective. Regardless, I love the Construction Field.

Also, I have mostly worked in the Highway/Heavy Civil markets, which seem to be more stable than commercial/residential markets. A civil degree could probably go farther for me in my current job.

Very true. We're in AZ which was hit hard by the economic downturn and the housing plunge. He ended up getting his lineman's certificate (whatever you call it) and is now in a position at local power company trying to get apprenticeship... so I agree it depends on where you live.