LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Police Academy Application Submitted!!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Police Academy Application Submitted!!

Well after many days of reviewing, writing, researching, writing, reviewing, phone calls, paperwork etc, my application went in the mail today to Aims Community College in CO for the basic police academy. I'm a bit apprehensive about it, I feel like I forgot something even after having 3 people review it with me!

Now all thats left is the waiting game. Wish me luck fellow TW LEO's and friends!

I will hear back from the Director of the program in the mail the week of May 16th.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Ange is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Police, Vietnam, Europe, DC
Ange's Tacoma Gallery
A wise decision. Congratulations! You won't regret it. It was the best 30 years of my life. Your going to a great time. Continue with your education and take every promotion you can.

Good Luck! Let us know when you get accepted - stay positive.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Banned
Sixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kreg
Sixfeathers's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck and the most important thing is to stay in shape and do a lot of jogging.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck, Aaron...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck!!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixfeathers View Post
Good luck and the most important thing is to stay in shape and do a lot of jogging.
Definitely been maintaining my fitness, but thats at sea level. Not sure how I'll hold up at 5000 ft in the middle of summer! But at least I am in shape!

Its a 2 semester class, Tuesday-Thursday, and Saturday, Sunday. I feel one of the challenges I'll face is taking on a part time job to maintain life. The Post 9-11 GI Bill (I have my COE in hand) is covering the tuition and and other expenses but its not quite gonna cut it. Any ideas? I've thought about security positions but not really sure where to start.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #8

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Taco? View Post
8 years for me. Tips: refrain from posting on social sites with your name.... it can hurt in the background process. If you don't run now, start!! Good luck.
Do you accept PM's? I have a question for ya!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
vball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Steven
vball6pac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1mcc View Post
Definitely been maintaining my fitness, but thats at sea level. Not sure how I'll hold up at 5000 ft in the middle of summer! But at least I am in shape!

Its a 2 semester class, Tuesday-Thursday, and Saturday, Sunday. I feel one of the challenges I'll face is taking on a part time job to maintain life. The Post 9-11 GI Bill (I have my COE in hand) is covering the tuition and and other expenses but its not quite gonna cut it. Any ideas? I've thought about security positions but not really sure where to start.
If you are going to school full time(12 ch), you get a housing stipend. Check the VA benefits site. It is basically BAH for an E-5.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
vball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud ofvball6pac has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Steven
vball6pac's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck, and like the others, fitness is key.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #11

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vball6pac View Post
If you are going to school full time(12 ch), you get a housing stipend. Check the VA benefits site. It is basically BAH for an E-5.
Yea the academy is 2 semesters and 41 credits, its gonna be a full load!! I will be getting the BAH for the area, but I want a little more to play with
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea the academy is 2 semesters and 41 credits, its gonna be a full load!! I will be getting the BAH for the area, but I want a little more to play with
congrats dude. good luck

i'm going to school full time right now, using my Post 9/11 and working part time as a personal trainer. it's super nice cause i can be very flexible w/ school and work cause i make my own hours.

think about it, i know you know your health and fitness stuff... i bet you would be happier doing that than working security somewhere... that stuff is lame and boring.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Taco? View Post
8 years for me. Tips: refrain from posting on social sites with your name.... it can hurt in the background process. If you don't run now, start!! Good luck.
X2- stay anonymous online. And dont post stupid shit/pictures on your facebook.

Another thing- when you start applying to different PD's make sure all your app's have the same info. And if you disclose something on one app (drug use, childhood stupidity, etc.), make sure you disclose it on ALL apps.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #15

Law Enforcement:
I've already taken care of the Facebook and Myspace accounts, they no longer exist.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
Noob-ish
LT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LT1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
X2- stay anonymous online. And dont post stupid shit/pictures on your facebook.

Another thing- when you start applying to different PD's make sure all your app's have the same info. And if you disclose something on one app (drug use, childhood stupidity, etc.), make sure you disclose it on ALL apps.

^^^ great point, you have to try to be as consistent as possible. I was fortunate enough to only apply for one agency and get in, but many of my buddies applied to several places. Be consistent in your alibies (truths). In terms of finding a second job for "play money" be careful, drinking or playing around doing stupid shit will get you kicked out fast. At least it my dept they didn't tolerate it, but then again our academy was kinda over the top in some aspects, everyone got paid to be in the academy, and we had to sign paperwork saying it was our full time job. It wasn't great pay, but it was enough to feed us, house us, and continue the academy. I'm glad it was that way, it kept me outta trouble.

Good luck, and so long as you don't have anything real fishy in your past, you should be fine. And even if you don't have anything fishy, sometimes it takes a few apps to get in, so don't be discouraged if your first app doesn't get you in right away, it's a great job and everyone knows that so there's plenty of qualified applicants to choose from.

In the meantime keep that PT/spirit up and the Facebook down.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #17

Law Enforcement:
Play money is for truck mods! I've been in the business about 2 or so years and been thru one prior federal academy so I kinda know what to expect. At the same time, I'm excited to get outta the military side of the house! The big thing about this academy is that its put on by a college, I'm not guaranteed a job with anyone afterward.

One piece of advice I got from a prior officer that I work with is, fill out your first app, and make a copy...then follow that copy on the other apps you submit, but make sure its true and accurate! I don't have a history of anything so I'm not too concerned about that.

A word on social networking sites, where does TW fall?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
Noob-ish
LT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LT1's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and one more thing, if you don't have any family/friends in law enforcement, stand by. It is a different life. It's not like the military where you can be proud of your service and show it. In law enforcement, you're constantly concealing your profession. If you're all about recognition and your wardrobe has nothing but clothing to reflect that, join the fire dept. As a cop, they pretty much don't like you until they need you, and when they're done with you, you need to disappear again. It's more "serve" than "protect" these days, remember that.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but no one warned me about this aspect of law enforcement (1st gen LEO). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't do anything else. I love what I do, even if no one else does.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
Noob-ish

LT1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Play money is for truck mods! I've been in the business about 2 or so years and been thru one prior federal academy so I kinda know what to expect. At the same time, I'm excited to get outta the military side of the house! The big thing about this academy is that its put on by a college, I'm not guaranteed a job with anyone afterward.

One piece of advice I got from a prior officer that I work with is, fill out your first app, and make a copy...then follow that copy on the other apps you submit, but make sure its true and accurate! I don't have a history of anything so I'm not too concerned about that.

A word on social networking sites, where does TW fall?

TW falls into a category of "wobbler." You're fine until you post something that can be iffy. I read once that "you should never fail the Washington Post test" basically, if what you just did showed up on the front page of the Washington Post, would you be proud or embarrassed?

You're probably fine posting everyday stuff, but as soon as you post stuff that was kinda fun at the time but after reflection can be misconstrued, it might be a good idea to delete the post. And a good rule of thumb is not to put any pics of yourself ANYWHERE on the internet. Cause once its on there, its on there forever!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
WASTE MANAGEMENT is on a distinguished road

Name: Travis
WASTE MANAGEMENT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 View Post
Oh, and one more thing, if you don't have any family/friends in law enforcement, stand by. It is a different life. It's not like the military where you can be proud of your service and show it. In law enforcement, you're constantly concealing your profession. If you're all about recognition and your wardrobe has nothing but clothing to reflect that, join the fire dept. As a cop, they pretty much don't like you until they need you, and when they're done with you, you need to disappear again. It's more "serve" than "protect" these days, remember that.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but no one warned me about this aspect of law enforcement (1st gen LEO). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't do anything else. I love what I do, even if no one else does.

I agree, I tell people I work for Waste Management, it works well when people think they know me.