Notices

Need help from all law enforcement members on here

Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
UpstateTRDTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
UpstateTRDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Need help from all law enforcement members on here

Hey TW,
Im in the process of graduating my 2 year criminal justice degree here in NYS this May. I have an oppurtunity to join the VT state troopers, assuming i pass the tests, because they recruit right out of my college. I really want to end up as a NYS trooper but the state economy is so shitty here they havent even hired people from the 2008 test they had. And no test is in the near future for NYSP. Is a 2 year enough to make my career and be successful? or should i suck it up and do a 4 year?
I know i know all that stuff about knowledge is power and yadda yadda, but i just want to get out and work and serve my community and protect and help, grades are a 3.5 at this point so that shouldnt be a problem. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no expert on your subject, but from a purely education stand point, the 4year program would benefit you in the long run, even if there are no jobs for that degree you'll have the qualifications to do the job that a 2yr degree requires, and when a job comes along you'll be a good candiate because you'll have the proper education, as well as field experience! Personally I'd do another 2yrs.

Also, I think you'll get to a point where you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Also, for next time...if you PM a Mod they can move your previous thread from category to another...I'd PM one and have them delete your other thread so you don't have to going at once!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Noob-ish
LT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LT1's Tacoma Gallery
Well, there's a lot of things that come into play here. You're kinda rolling a few important decisions into one.

Q: Do you take the job that's available now or your dream job later?

A: One in the hand is worth two in the bush. In this shitty economy, take the job that's available, not too many people have the opportunity you do. Most Police/Sheriff's Depts love laterals, they didn't have to pay for the training, and now they have a fully trained officer! Unless of course you have to go through another academy because it is a whole different state. (which is common)

Q: Do you complete your education now or continue later?

A: For most people as soon as they take a break from their education its pretty much over. (purely numbers) Are you going to be more attractive as a candidate over the other guys with a 4 year degree? Who knows, it depends on the dept you're applying for. Some value experience over education; some vice versa. What you need to do is talk to the people within the organization you're applying to. See what they're looking for and go accordingly. If they want more Spanish speakers, you'll probably get hired on faster taking Spanish courses than going through another 2 years of criminal justice courses.

Find your career path first (VTST now or wait for NYSP), then take whatever courses necessary to realize that path.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
UpstateTRDTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
UpstateTRDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks LT1 thats a huge help!