Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Anybody involved SAR?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #21
Molon Labe
CoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: now Paramedic/Firefighter
CoalMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Does being a volunteer firefighter in a rural area count? We have to go fetch stranded hikers and whatnot a few times a year. If it doesn't count as SAR, then I'll go bugger off.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalMedic View Post
Does being a volunteer firefighter in a rural area count? We have to go fetch stranded hikers and whatnot a few times a year. If it doesn't count as SAR, then I'll go bugger off.
lol Sure! Why not? I didn't know volunteer firefighters had to do that though.... I'm guessing it has to do with the rural area.

So have you ever had to perform a high-angle evacuation for a kitty in a tree??? Or do you guys leave those rescues for the city FFs.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #23
Molon Labe
CoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
lol Sure! Why not? I didn't know volunteer firefighters had to do that though.... I'm guessing it has to do with the rural area.

So have you ever had to perform a high-angle evacuation for a kitty in a tree??? Or do you guys leave those rescues for the city FFs.

Never had a kitty...had an iguana once...seriously.

We've had to go fetch stranded hikers when they go out and get lost. Apparently they've never heard of this thing called a "compass", "map" or even a "GPS." They usually go out with a minimum of water on the hottest day of the year, fall off a cliff and break their femur while drunk.

The county where I live has a rope rescue team that ties in with the ambulance service whom we assist in searches, and my FD assists Department of Natural Resources with searches/body recovery. We also work hand in hand with the sheriff's office to find the lost idiots.

Most of my firefigher's have a basic knowledge of rappelling, mostly because we've all been climbers or rappellers at some point in our lives, but we don't take the lead role in high angle stuff, simply due to training and budget constraints.

We have an absolutely beautiful area of the world down here where I live, Giant City State Park. My FD covers this park and a lot of other hunting/wilderness land.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #24
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
I use to be apart of our Mountain Medic team with work.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #25
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalMedic View Post
Never had a kitty...had an iguana once...seriously.

We've had to go fetch stranded hikers when they go out and get lost. Apparently they've never heard of this thing called a "compass", "map" or even a "GPS." They usually go out with a minimum of water on the hottest day of the year, fall off a cliff and break their femur while drunk.

The county where I live has a rope rescue team that ties in with the ambulance service whom we assist in searches, and my FD assists Department of Natural Resources with searches/body recovery. We also work hand in hand with the sheriff's office to find the lost idiots.

Most of my firefigher's have a basic knowledge of rappelling, mostly because we've all been climbers or rappellers at some point in our lives, but we don't take the lead role in high angle stuff, simply due to training and budget constraints.

We have an absolutely beautiful area of the world down here where I live, Giant City State Park. My FD covers this park and a lot of other hunting/wilderness land.
Lol!!! The iguana rescue must've been interesting....

I know exactly what you mean about the usual victims... Idiots keep SAR in business. Every time I go hiking, I'm bound to see at least 1 or 2 people dressed in flip-flops and wife-beaters with a 20oz bottle of water heading up the steepest trail they can find... and yeah, a GPS is out of the question completely! haha

I'm hoping to get into some high angle stuff in the future. It's just that I've never had any real experience with it right now. It is a lot of training.

Your area of the world looks very beautiful!!! Makes me a little jealous... If I'm lucky, I'll get a mission in the mountains:

But it usually looks like this:
(lol. Pretty in it's own way, I guess.)

Old 08-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #26
Molon Labe

I spent two years stationed at 29 Palms, CA, at the entrance to Joshua Tree National Park. That area has its own beauty few can appreciate. I see a lot of the same geography/topography in your pics. Good luck with the job!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #27
Über Posre

Thanks!! You as well.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #28
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Been dying to do something around here like SAR or vol. firefighting. Dunno if it's possible being a single parent though?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #29
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I use to be apart of our Mountain Medic team with work.
Sweet. Got any "war stories" to share?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Been dying to do something around here like SAR or vol. firefighting. Dunno if it's possible being a single parent though?
I'd imagine that would be kinda hard.... at least while the kid is young. If you're called out on a mission, there isn't really much time to get a babysitter. Of course, the nice thing about it being volunteer, is that you don't HAVE to do anything if you aren't able or don't want to... It could be possible!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #30
Shoeless
jessea1a is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: SAR!
Name: Jesse
jessea1a's Tacoma Gallery
Coast Guard! STA Neah Bay, WA. Heavy weather SAR. Looking forward to fall/winter when the 20'+ waves will be back.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #31
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessea1a View Post
Coast Guard! STA Neah Bay, WA. Heavy weather SAR. Looking forward to fall/winter when the 20'+ waves will be back.
Awesome!! Got any pictures of the equipment you guys use or your area?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #32
Shoeless
jessea1a is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: SAR!
Name: Jesse
jessea1a's Tacoma Gallery
I'd upload from photobucket but can't on my work computer...
47' Motor lifeboat, primary SAR response vessel (not ours just pulled off google)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lqcapwW1Ck...s800/47MLB.jpg
25' Response boat (LE)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...RB-S_25583.jpg
I'll find ya some better pics when I have my laptop.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #33
Über Posre

Nice! Sounds good.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #34
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
CSAR...does that count? We also do SAR here in the state and have been called outside the state as well. I just make sure the helicopter does not hit anything in addition to looking for the soul who we came to get! The "J's" do the ground work.

...that others may live.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #35
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I was in mine rescue down here in Carlsbad for 5 years....1 year of that as team captain.
Mine Rescue=SAR underground
Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #36
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Gunner View Post
CSAR...does that count? We also do SAR here in the state and have been called outside the state as well. I just make sure the helicopter does not hit anything in addition to looking for the soul who we came to get! The "J's" do the ground work.

...that others may live.
Heck yes it does! Nice. I know a couple CROs and I can tell you for a fact that I envy their job!!! I have a tremendous amount of respect what you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigk View Post
I was in mine rescue down here in Carlsbad for 5 years....1 year of that as team captain.
Mine Rescue=SAR underground
Nice. That must've been pretty crazy working a mine rescue!! So many things that could go wrong....
Old 09-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #37
swollen member
covefrog08 is on a distinguished road

covefrog08's Tacoma Gallery
im a member of our local sar group up here in canada. PEMO SAR (Peninsula Emergency Measures Organization) I'm going to take the team leader course next summer. we dont get alot of call outs since we are on the tip of an island. mostly old people or drunk teenagers. but we have had a few where we got to trek off into the bush or search shore lines. i'v been involved for about 2 years now.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #38
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by covefrog08 View Post
im a member of our local sar group up here in canada. PEMO SAR (Peninsula Emergency Measures Organization) I'm going to take the team leader course next summer. we dont get alot of call outs since we are on the tip of an island. mostly old people or drunk teenagers. but we have had a few where we got to trek off into the bush or search shore lines. i'v been involved for about 2 years now.
lol Awesome! Good luck on your team leader course!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #39
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
I thought about joining SAR here, but after seeing the volly SAR team here I decided that the SAR team here isn't exactly what I was going for. It's full of Geeky teenagers that just want to feel important. I would opt for something a bit more professional.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #40
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretacoowner View Post
I thought about joining SAR here, but after seeing the volly SAR team here I decided that the SAR team here isn't exactly what I was going for. It's full of Geeky teenagers that just want to feel important. I would opt for something a bit more professional.
Ah, sorry to hear that. Trust me, I know that type...... some good experience in the field usually humbles them a bit though..... or they just get even bigger heads.

Maybe there are some other teams in your area that are more professional? I know there are at least 6 or 7 different teams just in my town.