LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Anybody involved SAR?

Old 05-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody involved SAR?

What organiztion/team are you part of and where do you operate? Do you use your Taco for missions? Post up your stories and pics!

I became Search & Rescue qualified in the state of New Mexico last year and I'm now in the process of becoming a full member of Cibola SAR--a volunteer team in Albuquerque. Cibola specializes in low-angle, patient extraction from remote areas. (We're ground-pounders.) I'm also a member of Civil Air Patrol.

I'm sure there are others in the SAR community here... people will always be getting lost and into trouble, and SAR will always be needed.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here are some pictures of Cibola SAR... I'll become a member this Thusday and I can't wait!!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I'm in SAR- but I'm all airborne and not a member of any specialized groups or anything...except the premier maritime SAR organization in the world....
Coastguard!! Nice. I almost went to the Coast Guard Academy, but I opted out for AFROTC instead and kinda got screwed... =/ Are you a pilot?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Coastguard!! Nice. I almost went to the Coast Guard Academy, but I opted out for AFROTC instead and kinda got screwed... =/ Are you a pilot?
That I am. Did 4 years at the Academy and got an Electrical Engineering degree and my commission. Spent two years doing Law Enforcement and SAR on a 210' boat thru out the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico. Two years at flight school...and now I've been flying Search and Rescue in the Gulf of Mexico for about a year.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Über Posre

Quote:
That I am. Did 4 years at the Academy and got an Electrical Engineering degree and my commission. Spent two years doing Law Enforcement and SAR on a 210' boat thru out the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico. Two years at flight school...and now I've been flying Search and Rescue in the Gulf of Mexico for about a year.
Wow, good for you. You've got my dream job, man! Unfortunately, I had mild eczema on my ankles when I was 11 y/o. This is a disqalification for DoDMERB and I no longer have the option to get my comission through the AF or CG. That why I'm joining my local volunteer SAR team--I have the desire to do SAR work but can't get into the big leagues. =/
Old 05-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Wow, good for you. You've got my dream job, man! Unfortunately, I had mild eczema on my ankles when I was 11 y/o. This is a disqalification for DoDMERB and I no longer have the option to get my comission through the AF or CG. That why I'm joining my local volunteer SAR team--I have the desire to do SAR work but can't get into the big leagues. =/
IDK man- Some of that mountain/backcountry rescue stuff is pretty intense too. CAP is a good way to contribute too...So you are picking the right things to do!!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
Über Posre

Quote:
IDK man- Some of that mountain/backcountry rescue stuff is pretty intense too. CAP is a good way to contribute too...So you are picking the right things to do!!
Yeah I know. I guess the military has just always been apealing to me... so it's hard not to be involved. But, I am pretty happy with joining this local team, so I can't complain to much haha.

So, what kind of rescues have you been on? Have you been busy lately?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking at SAR with a strong desire to do K9 and confined space. trying to find time en between job hunting and school/life. Also going for a degree in disaster and emergency management.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
I am looking at SAR with a strong desire to do K9 and confined space. trying to find time en between job hunting and school/life. Also going for a degree in disaster and emergency management.
K9 units are awesome! I take it your not claustrophpoic? lol. Sounds like a good plan.
Quote:
Done a few MEDEVACs from oil rigs and stuff. Got a call out to hoist some folks out of a flooded area in Illinois the other day...but we ended up vectoring a boat team to them instead...Safer alternative. cause they were elderly.
Very cool! and yeah I definately understand why they used the boat team for that situation.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
NINJA BADASSNESS
Stephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helicopter Electronic Warfare - 823 Rescue MXS
Name: Stephanie
Stephanie0051's Tacoma Gallery
I just joned the SAR team here in Alamo last month. I am going to try and help with Mesilla Valley too so I can do K9 :-)

I am trying to get a team together, but as of right now, we are in the Alamo team.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie0051 View Post
I just joned the SAR team here in Alamo last month. I am going to try and help with Mesilla Valley too so I can do K9 :-)

I am trying to get a team together, but as of right now, we are in the Alamo team.
That's awesome, Stephanie! Your team had a mission at Dog Canyon in March right? but I guess you barely missed that one if you just joined last month... bummers Why are you trying to put together another team? A K-9 unit in Alamo?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
NINJA BADASSNESS
Stephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStephanie0051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
That's awesome, Stephanie! Your team had a mission at Dog Canyon in March right? but I guess you barely missed that one if you just joined last month... bummers Why are you trying to put together another team? A K-9 unit in Alamo?

I havnt done anything yet, I just BARELY started getting information on the meetings and how everything works. We had our ORI week before last, so things have been nuts here.

They dont have a Holloman team, so I thought we could have our own base run team... and K9 would be awesome. I have an in with the master handler here at Holloman, so that would be a great start if we can get it done.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
man that sucks you cant do military. Its great that your still trying though. I would love to do SAR, do you need to have any special qualifications or does it just depend on the local team?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #16
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie0051 View Post
I havnt done anything yet, I just BARELY started getting information on the meetings and how everything works. We had our ORI week before last, so things have been nuts here.

They dont have a Holloman team, so I thought we could have our own base run team... and K9 would be awesome. I have an in with the master handler here at Holloman, so that would be a great start if we can get it done.
Oh gotcha, that's pretty much where I'm at too. I'm turning my membership check, getting some SAR goodies, getting my pack checked off, and turning a bunch of paperwork on Thursday.

A Holloman team would be pretty cool! I tried to start a small team with some buddies of mine through CAP, but two of the guys were Lt's at Kirtland (a SFO, and a CRO) and they never had enough time lol... It would have been the epitome of bad**s though!!! hahaha If you could get a K-9 team organized, that would be sick.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
man that sucks you cant do military. Its great that your still trying though. I would love to do SAR, do you need to have any special qualifications or does it just depend on the local team?
yeah... ah well. Awesome, man I found this website for you that might help: http://www.vasarco.org/ I think it varies state to state on training and tests you have to take and then there's some general national (FEMA) online tests you'll probably take. For NM, I just had to take the NM SAR Field Certification Test which covers gear, com/radio etiquette, safety, search techniqes, and map/compass. My team requires that I take the the IS-100, IS-200, and IS-700 which are on-line (FEMA) courses and tests that take a couple hours to complete. I also have to do some other training events that I don't know of off the top of my head.

I have a feeling that if you contact a local SAR team they can walk you through the whole process. You don't really need any qualifications up fron, just a will to learn and work hard.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
NINJA BADASSNESS

Quote:
Oh gotcha, that's pretty much where I'm at too. I'm turning my membership check, getting some SAR goodies, getting my pack checked off, and turning a bunch of paperwork on Thursday.

A Holloman team would be pretty cool! I tried to start a small team with some buddies of mine through CAP, but two of the guys were Lt's at Kirtland (a SFO, and a CRO) and they never had enough time lol... It would have been the epitome of badass though!!! hahaha If you could get a K-9 team organized, that would be sick.

hell ya, Im hoping that the people that say they want to do it, really do.... cuz it looks like a fruckin blast!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #19
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah... ah well. Awesome, man I found this website for you that might help: http://www.vasarco.org/ I think it varies state to state on training and tests you have to take and then there's some general national (FEMA) online tests you'll probably take. For NM, I just had to take the NM SAR Field Certification Test which covers gear, com/radio etiquette, safety, search techniqes, and map/compass. My team requires that I take the the IS-100, IS-200, and IS-700 which are on-line (FEMA) courses and tests that take a couple hours to complete. I also have to do some other training events that I don't know of off the top of my head.

I have a feeling that if you contact a local SAR team they can walk you through the whole process. You don't really need any qualifications up fron, just a will to learn and work hard.
sweet thanks man! ill definitely look into this more. good luck with all your training!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #20
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
sweet thanks man! ill definitely look into this more. good luck with all your training!
No problem, man. Thanks, good luck to you as well!