Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any Lawyers?

Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Any Lawyers?

Lawyers, I have a law internship in NYC this summer with a firm that works with low-income families pro-bono and the Deaf which is awesome.

But, I don't know much about law. My internship starts June 1st and I don't want to walk in there knowing nothing. What should I read about? I am told that I might be going on mediation sessions and possibly even going alone!

I know the basic outlines of:
Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Title VII
ADA
FLSA

But, I don't know much about laws that have to do with housing, anything specific about NYC, and stuff like that. I think this is to be expected from an Under Graduate, but I don't want to be "average". I don't know anything about court room proceedings or how things work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Canadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kim
Canadian Girl's Tacoma Gallery
I am not a a lawyer nor do I live in the states but..... just read up on things....go back to school or ur local legal library.......and read up on case law. Case law can help any case. but you did something right to land an internship. Just use it for every bit of knowledge and learn as much as u can. Might land a job after

Good luck
Old 05-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
watch

A Few Good Men
old JAG episodes
and Liar Liar

you'll be good
Old 05-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
On my second taco now....
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
Lawyers, I have a law internship in NYC this summer with a firm that works with low-income families pro-bono and the Deaf which is awesome.

But, I don't know much about law. My internship starts June 1st and I don't want to walk in there knowing nothing. What should I read about? I am told that I might be going on mediation sessions and possibly even going alone!

I know the basic outlines of:
Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Title VII
ADA
FLSA

But, I don't know much about laws that have to do with housing, anything specific about NYC, and stuff like that. I think this is to be expected from an Under Graduate, but I don't want to be "average". I don't know anything about court room proceedings or how things work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
What kind of law does the firm practice mainly? Can I guess civil law based on your mediation reference?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Girl View Post
I am not a a lawyer nor do I live in the states but..... just read up on things....go back to school or ur local legal library.......and read up on case law. Case law can help any case. but you did something right to land an internship. Just use it for every bit of knowledge and learn as much as u can. Might land a job after

Good luck
Thanks. I'll definitely look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
watch

A Few Good Men
old JAG episodes
and Liar Liar

you'll be good
Hahaha watched them all and then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral View Post
What kind of law does the firm practice mainly? Can I guess civil law based on your mediation reference?
Yes, civil law. Hardly ever criminal law.