Notices

Firefighter

Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Snoyota will become famous soon enoughSnoyota will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Taylor
Snoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Firefighter

I'm 19 and just got hired full time as a firefighter emt for Tiburon, CA.
I'll be on probation for the first 18 months. Ant body have any good advice?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my advice i gave to someone a long time ago.

congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
If you're a Paramedic you can pretty much get on anywhere. A lot of places have thousands of people applying for a 20-30 person academy, sometimes more, sometimes less. Lets say 2000 people apply for an academy of 40 positions. Thats a 2% chance that you will even get selected. Then you have the attrition rate. Say 20 people drop out or get fired and you are one of the top 20 that graduated with a job. Congratulations, you made it and finished in the top 1% of people that applied for your job. These numbers are crazy (if I did my math correctly ) but this is how it is.

I got on at 19. I went and got my for FF classes and EMT shit done before I applied to my FD. I was two weeks out from finishing up my certification academy through a community college when I was selected and hired on for a transitional academy through my FD.

Get on wherever you can. Do not think you are too good to work at a certain department. Get your foot in the door and go where you want. Who knows, you may end up loving where you end up.

Its more important who you work with, than who you work for. And the grass isn't always greener on the other side, the brown patches are just in different spots.

Respect everybody, especially guys with time on and experience. I am close to five years on which is nothing. I have recently become the most junior guy on my crew that I have been with for over two years. I do not let them do any of the station duties and I go completely out of my way to make their job easier. Know your place. Keep your mouth shut and ears open at all times when you're the new guy.

Everything thing you do from making coffee, rolling hose, folding towels, washing the rigs, you are signing your name next to it. Do a half-ass job and you will get a bad rep. Be proud of everything you do and make it obvious through your work ethic.

I work about 11 days a month. I get full salary and benefits. I don't know what to do with all the time that I have off. I would have no problem supporting myself or a family. Its been my dream job ever since I could remember. You get paid to help people, fight fires, cut cars up, and to just be there for the community.

Good luck.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
My advice, pay attention to the small things. They can come back on you.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
wolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wolfdog2314's Tacoma Gallery
Bring ice cream to every shift.

Cook some good dinners.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
tommyc is on a distinguished road
Name: tommy
tommyc's Tacoma Gallery
Watch your back, fires can be tricky, they can sneak up on you if your not careful
Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
Watch your back, fires can be tricky, they can sneak up on you if your not careful
So will EMS people...lol
Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
What Andrew said times infinity; respect is EVERYTHING.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have any tips but I do want to say congrats on the new job. It takes a lot of guts and dedication to do what you do. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
backtrix is on a distinguished road
Name: Marc
backtrix's Tacoma Gallery
I thought tiburon just highered two young adults that go and train a few times a month. And after they go through school and get a paramedic license they will have a good shot at getting on as a full time firefighter there. Is that what you got or did they actually higher full time firefighters?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
Snoyota will become famous soon enoughSnoyota will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Taylor
Snoyota's Tacoma Gallery
My title is trainee firefighter, but i work full time and do all the same things, I just get paid less and after 18 months I will be a career firefighter. I only needed EMT to get hired. They are putting me through their academy and you dont have to be a medic