1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Engineers?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by jeckel7234, May 28, 2011.

1. Jun 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    finecamaro69

finecamaro69 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD sport 4WD
    2" spacer Suspension lift, Dakar Leafs
    Thanks, I'm just glad that part of my career is done. No more 8 hour exams.

2. Jun 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    Relik

Relik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport PreRunner-Auto-Magnetic Gray
    Bilstein 5100s (Front & ext. Rear), Eibach coils @ 0, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing UCAs, 1/4" lean spacer, All-Pro 3" Standard leafs, u-bolt flip kit, SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, 33" (285/70/17) TreadWright Warden A/T tires, extended lines
    I'm a Mechanical Engineer working for Navy. I got into ME it because I always loved seeing how things worked and gettin my hands dirty (All my toys would come apart at some point :D). Even think those Discovery shows through H.S. got me more into designing, fabrication, & manufacturing (Monster Garage, American Chopper, etc..)

Now I design mechanical systems for airbourne instrumentation in a confortable government job. After 4.5 years of pushin through college its nice to be making a good salary for creating custom mechanical assemblies.

Also opened a restaurant with my father in which I mainly designed (Nonna's Empanadas in West Hollywood,CA) This was a great opportunity that Architecture and CAD software aided my design

Think I'm going to have a lot of patents ;) Got few side designs in works.

Hm tips through college: get in societies (ASME, IEEE, etc...), competitions, projects and try to get 1-2 summer internships (experience)....and make friends! lot of disciplines are mixed in intermediate courses.... It's nice to know that you have connections in other fields for whatever you go for later :cool: I was lucky enough to learn this my last 2 years and I've met so many people, made many friends and got to experience competitions and conventions around the country....for free!. Me and 2 friends even won 1st in a national design competition.

Anywho theres my story :D ME represent! haha

3. Jun 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    just got through my first year of college at sac state as a ME and because of all the cuts i was only able to get into one class which we used CADD which I didn't enjoy too much but then we were able to make something for our final project which made the class worth it

4. Jun 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    M.E. here. Working at Carrier in NY in Compression Technology. Its a great job, the majority of the time I'm doing hands on work which I love.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is to get as many internships throughout college as you can.

5. Jun 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM
    Fenrisulfr

Fenrisulfr Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW-VA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra w/ TRD 5,7L V8 4x4
    I was studying electrical engineering but decided against it on account of the poor quality of education received thus far. The universities seem to abide by a regulation whereby there must be at least two professors who cannot speak English teaching critical courses.

In addition, I ran the numbers and determined if I can get a 5% on the tuition money, given the prevailing labour market, it would be better invested. Thus far, I managed to get 30%. The risks surrounding student debt and the inability to discharge it via bankruptcy also warranted caution.

Addendum - my stepfather has a BSEE and an MBA from the halcyon era of Anglophone professors; he now works in finance. Diplomas can and do travel so do not discount the value of connections outside of one's speciality.

6. Jun 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Senior civil student.

7. Jun 28, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    Xshark

Xshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mechanical Engineer -1996.

I design specialized pan & tilt camera systems for the military.

8. Jun 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    awesome thanks for all the advice so far. A few more question, is there any advice on getting internships? and one other thing ive been having some difficulty with is im at a two year college now, and planning to transfer to a 4 year (Old Dominion U), and at my two year school they offer Mechanical Engineering Technology which is geared more towards CAD, materials and Design. And then the have just Engineering which has more math, chemistry, and physics. What are the differences between the two, are they both "Engineers", same pay...... Thanks in advance for any future info

9. Jun 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    RoyR

RoyR Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Billies, TSB
    Is this you truck? Looks great btw!!!

DSC06932.jpg

10. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    Shetto24

Shetto24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Tapps, WA
    Well said. I'm also a service engineer for R/F XRay machines. I've been trying to get a lot of OJT on CT/MRI equipment as eventually I'd like to work on the higher end stuff. A lot of chaos in my job the last 2 years and I'm ready for it to settle down a little so I can go get a B.A. degree.

11. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    Xshark

Xshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    They both are NOT engineering. Mechanical Engineering Technology is NOT an engineer. With that degree, you'll be taking orders from an engineer. You'll end up being a CAD Jockey. (not that there is anything wrong with that.) Doing drawings, detailing prints, possibly limited design, but NOT an engineer, nor is the pay the same.

However, every school is different, and I don't know the particulars of your school. Most 'technology' degrees around here are 2 years. Any engineering degree is 4.

Do get a real answer, contact the university and ask them, or get a handbook and read thru it.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

12. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    BSME UW-Platteville '86.

11 years in the Meatpacking industry with IBP.

Bailed on that for the craft brewing industry and I'm now the Plant Engineer at Avery Brewing Co.

:cheers:

13. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    Good luck with the schooling. If I could go back, I would have definatally payed more attention to math because I think this wouldve been what I wanted to do for a carrer, now that I know what I want. You guys sound like you have some b.a. carrers

14. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    I appreciate it, ive always been pretty good at math, but i havnt done it in about 5 years, took my placment test today and got put in algebra 2 so, ive still got a long way to go

15. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Rashnu

Rashnu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 T4R TEP
    Stock
    CE here! Working for a structural firm in Riverside. 3/4 complete with my MSCE in Structural.

16. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    gatorboyy13

gatorboyy13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Corvallis, OR
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Black
    CustomCarGrilles Small Perf & "TOYOTA" Grille Insert CaliRaised 31" Light Bar w/ ApexFab Stealth Mounts Header Rail w/Bike Mount
    Im getting done with my core classes now at a smaller school, hopefully transferring to Georgia Tech, next fall. Ill have up to calc 3 done and linear algebra, Phys 1 and 2. and computer science. Anyways I wanna study civil, but im still unsure. All i know is I am going to be an engineer, i love all the fields.

17. Jun 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    Rashnu

Rashnu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 T4R TEP
    Stock
    Which field do you enjoy more? Might want to start thinking about it a little more before you transfer. How well did you do in your physics classes?

18. Jun 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    AuburnTaco

AuburnTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Auburn
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 4x4 SR5 DC
    Wind deflectors, bug and stone deflector, RollBak Tonneau Cover
    Chem E here. I'll be a junior this fall at Auburn. Absolutely love it. Work load can be a pain in the ass but the stress just fuels me

19. Jun 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I'm a future one I'm hoping... Starting college this fall and majoring in ME at South Dakota School of Mines

20. Jun 29, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    i'm a meche, school was a bitch but i'm glad i stuck through it. huge payoff

To Top