Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any Engineers?

Old 05-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
Any Engineers?

So Im in my first semester of college after leaving the AF as an Aircraft mechanic and I'm pretty stuck on engineering i enjoy mechanics and creating, but im not sure which field im breaking it down to either mechanical, auto, or aerospace. As of right now im just pursuing a mechanical design degree plan at a community college then tranfer to a four year, does anybody have any advice as to which field you would recomend or just what a day to day life of an engineer is? Thanks alot
Old 05-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
IrishAmerican is on a distinguished road

IrishAmerican's Tacoma Gallery
Im a petroleum engineer. I work for a very large oilfield service company. There is alot of opportunity in this field. I have traveled all over the country and to different parts of the world for work. I enjoy it most of the time but I am married with two kids so the work load can be a little much at times. The money is excellent and the opportunities are very vast. Good luck with your education.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
EE here!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks alot, I considered Petroleum because of the pay, but i wasnt convinced it was my kind of thing, what kind of work do you do?
Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

How do you like EE
Old 05-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Civil Engineering ... never used it directly ... but did use some of the general engineering principles later.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
I love it, best job to date. I work at a Laser company called Photon Machines. Engineering is all encompassing. Day to day activities can vary greatly. If you got the math skills, i highly recommend. The coolest part is you are alway abreast of all the cutting edge micro controllers and gizmos. At least i am. There is always a high high demand for EE's. There is no place you cannot work.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
IrishAmerican is on a distinguished road

IrishAmerican's Tacoma Gallery
I operate logging tools for welbore formation evaluation while drilling. Pretty cool stuff IMO. We use these tools that look similar to a joint of drill pipe but are packed full of sensors and electronics to steer the drillbit to the target at the same time this tool is also logging data from downhole and sending realtime data to our computers so we can inform the customer of the formation that we are drilling in. It is refered to as MWD (measurement while drilling) or LWD (logging while drilling). Its a very laid back job and I stay clean and cool in my office. Then I get to hit some awesome trails and such with the Tacoma afterwards lol.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAmerican View Post
I operate logging tools for welbore formation evaluation while drilling. Pretty cool stuff IMO. We use these tools that look similar to a joint of drill pipe but are packed full of sensors and electronics to steer the drillbit to the target at the same time this tool is also logging data from downhole and sending realtime data to our computers so we can inform the customer of the formation that we are drilling in. It is refered to as MWD (measurement while drilling) or LWD (logging while drilling). Its a very laid back job and I stay clean and cool in my office. Then I get to hit some awesome trails and such with the Tacoma afterwards lol.
lmao very nice, i think ill look into it a lil bit more

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
I love it, best job to date. I work at a Laser company called Photon Machines. Engineering is all encompassing. Day to day activities can vary greatly. If you got the math skills, i highly recommend. The coolest part is you are alway abreast of all the cutting edge micro controllers and gizmos. At least i am. There is always a high high demand for EE's. There is no place you cannot work.
yea i was pretty good at math when i wasnt fucking off in high school, but it has been about 5 years since, im not taking any math classes this semester, i have to go take a placement test, the only "engineering" class im taking is on Materials
Old 05-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
Civil Engineering ... never used it directly ... but did use some of the general engineering principles later.
That's what I'm currently studying...might change it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
Considering EE, or Mechanical. Everyone seems to be doing Mechanical right now though...idk I have a couple others in mind as well...I've got a little bit of time to decide if I want to change my major to a different type of engineering. My academic advisor told me it shouldn't be too difficult of a switch if I do it within the next year or so.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
apotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shedapotter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

apotter's Tacoma Gallery
Mechanical Engineer, but I'm working more in a civil enviroment building stormwater/wastewater equipment. Straight Engineering isn't bad if you don't mind the bean counters constantly standing over your shoulder letting you know that that you need to cut costs. Finding solutions is great..dealing with accounting and other engineers with huge egos, not that great.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Thucker is on a distinguished road
Thucker's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a mechanical engineer/project manager. I'm more on the construction side. I design/manage mechanical construction of new and remodel of big comercial buildings. I'm the conflict resolution guy, I usually look over the design drawings and 3D models to make sure everything will fit within the building and all the systems will work the way they're drawn.

I use to work in an off-road fabrication shop as a design engineer, that was fun, but left it for my current job because I wanted to work more on the management side, and they pay at a big company is better and much better benefits compared to a fabrication shop.

Before the off-road shop, I worked at a performance shop. I built motors, fabricate custom parts, and tune built motors. I left that job for higher pay and benefits. Performance shop had no benefits other than you get to have fun building cars and get to test your finished product.

As you can see, I've jumped from different industries that are not related. Just shows that you can do a lot with a mechanical engineering degree and work in all sorts of industry. If you're mechanically inclined, mechanical is the way to go.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
webb323 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
webb323's Tacoma Gallery
Im studying Nuclear Engineering at the University of Tennessee. It's pretty sweet because its a five year masters program ranked 9th in the country and 100 percent job placement rate.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:02 AM   #14
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
CDMA/LTE
Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #15
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i went to school for EE but am currently a service engineer fixing MRIs worldwide. (currently in Vietnam) i love the hands on...

One suggestion i can make is to add some management to your curriculum. that is where the big bucks are when you get older and want to slow down. I know Field service engineers in there 60s that want out but got stuck. Management in the portfolio can prevent that
Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #16
Stock Radiant Red
gorilla33 is on a distinguished road

gorilla33's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by webb323 View Post
Im studying Nuclear Engineering at the University of Tennessee. It's pretty sweet because its a five year masters program ranked 9th in the country and 100 percent job placement rate.

This guy has it figured out! Studying at a fantastic university! Go Vols!

btw, Civil Engineer here, 2008. Working at Watts Bar Nuclear Plant.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
civil here. i built this and i am building this..i administer the project.

i have a great job!
Attached Thumbnails
Any Engineers?-ba-slide07_ph_0498569477.jpg   Any Engineers?-cellphone-pics-045.jpg  
Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Silly-villian
battlegeek is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Geek
Name: Eric
battlegeek's Tacoma Gallery
So, does Computer Engineering count? LOL
Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
I got one year left of ME. It's a tough major. For me at least. Everyone I know in my major has failed at least 3 or 4 classes. But it will pay off. If you go full time make sure you know how to say no to friends that want to hang out. Lol
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #20
finecamaro69 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
finecamaro69's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my PE in civil a few weeks ago. Working in Rock Hill, SC with a Transportation and General Civil firm called Campco Engineering.