Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

toyota techs

Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
03DBLCABTACO's Tacoma Gallery
toyota techs

Are there any Toyota techs on the forum that used to be general motors techs? I am considering changing jobs if the opportunity presents itself. Any advice as to ease of diagnosis and being similar? Also do you like it better?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The other techs I worked with all agreed on one thing, Stay Asian. Domestic doesn't pay and has more warranty work than asian's do.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sorry meant to say in op that I am a Gm tech now. Looking to move as the "goodwill work is getting out of hand as Gm is scared to lose even one customer. Also warranty time is always going down.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota information system makes diagnosis easier, everything is computer based. I don't know what gm uses. If you can learn the specifics of Toyotas compared to GMs, you'll be fine.
Troubleshooting problems is universal. Find/duplicate problem, find cause, fix problem!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
cab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to all

Name: Corey
cab4you26's Tacoma Gallery
Don't become a GM tech. I'm an apprentice at a GM dealer and although I'm not yet on commission I will be after I graduate (one week). From being with the guys at work you lose your ass on almost everything. Warranty doesn't pay you anything, and a lot of the stuff that comes in IS warranty. Standard times are okay but you'll be hard pressed to get a full 40 a week.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I sold my sub box to a member on here and he's a Toyota tech. I'll wait to see if he responds.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #7

Am currently a Gm tech. Ten years. Looking to change to Toyota. Currently average 69 to 72k a year. Is this possible at Toyota? Also what are the chances of a Toyota shop having specialized departments. I am a trim/electrician now.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
Master Toyota Certified Technician
red yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to behold

Name: brandon
red yoda's Tacoma Gallery
I worked for the largest GM/chevy dealership in MI for 2 years before i worked for toyota. I'll never go back to domestic's. Asian's are simple to work on. chevy has alot of warr work were we have maintenance and recalls. they don't like the word recall. so they just hope that the cust will bring the car back to the dealership. but to each is own. good luck with your decisions.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Master Toyota Certified Technician
red yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to behold

Name: brandon
red yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03DBLCABTACO View Post
Am currently a Gm tech. Ten years. Looking to change to Toyota. Currently average 69 to 72k a year. Is this possible at Toyota? Also what are the chances of a Toyota shop having specialized departments. I am a trim/electrician now.
That kinda pay is possible it all depends on the shop. The bigger the shop the better the chance for higher flate rate pay. In most of the toyota shops I know of and talk to other tech at training. everyone does everything. theres no light, heavy, or trim guys. however the most heavy and all hybrid goes to the master tech, mainly cause of warr and certs. but like i said every shop is different. I personally came from chevy to toyota and i love it. there so much easier to work on. well good luck, hope this helped.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #10

Thanks for the reply. Still considering the change.