Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

New Job Starts Tomorrow! Long Flight Tips?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
New Job Starts Tomorrow! Long Flight Tips?

Hey everyone,

Any tips for the long flights? I was lucky enough to get a camp job in Alberta for high pressure pipe welding and I live in N.S. I Leave tomorrow morning and after 6 stops picking up other people I get there 12 hours later . My shift is 13 on 8 off so I get do that flight every two weeks.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the new job. Good luck.

I make a couple of international flights each month for my job. I like to have my MP3, a book, a magazine or two, and I also have my laptop. I don't have a Kindle, Nook, or Ipad type gizmo, but people seem to like those also.

Try to drink plenty of water during the flight. Get up often and stretch the best you can to prevent cramps.

Sign up for the airlines frequent flier program. The points add up faster than you'd think.

I always keep a toothbrush and paste in my carry on bag. Also a change of shorts and socks.

You'll figure out what works best for you pretty quick. Enjoy.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
DUDE MAN BRO
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant future

Air Force: A.G.E.
Name: Hot Carl!!!
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
ipod, and netbook with an external hard drive filled with movies and shows is what i use during my deployments. also tylenol PM helps too...and take snacks cause I know I hate airline food.

edit: also an extra change of clothes and a toothbrush/tooth paste is a very good thing to have in your carry on...ya never know where you might get stuck and for how long.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
On my second taco now....
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
kindle and sleep is all I need.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
Since your on a Canadian flight and can probably get away with anything become part of the mile high club. I cant think of anything better to do on a long flight. Girls like men drink at airports before long flights start at the bar and carry it over to the plane. If your game is solid you wont have any problems. I really miss international flights
Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sound deadening headphones I have the Bose QC15's not trying to make it sound like an ad for that particular product.... but they are the best headphones out there. I mix that up with my laptop or ipod and I am good.... plus they will enable you to listen to the inflight movie too....
Old 06-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
pcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of light
pcledrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
I was lucky enough to get a camp job in Alberta for high pressure pipe welding
You have the worst understanding of luck.

Just kidding, congrats on the job, what site are you on? I've probably been there, or am there, depending. As for the flights? I did some trans-pacifics before, 13+ hours each way. Three things to remember:
1. Take the time to improve yourself: read, do puzzles, take trivia tests, etc., then again, if you're a welder, reading is a puzzle in and of itself. [too far? sorry, it had to be done ]
2. Move: keep your blood flowing. Get and walk to the bathroom even if you don't need to.
3. Drink water: this will help with #2. or, #1, depending on what we're talking about.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Excercise...routinely of course, not on the flight. That helps me a lot, and managing my coffee.

Unfortunately I don't have the advantage of planning, they just call me and tell me to get on a plane within 2 hours...then I'm stuck somewhere for the next 3-6 months.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #9
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
Since your on a Canadian flight and can probably get away with anything become part of the mile high club. I cant think of anything better to do on a long flight. Girls like men drink at airports before long flights start at the bar and carry it over to the plane. If your game is solid you wont have any problems. I really miss international flights
Laying pipe, then welding pipe. I like where your head is at.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
Did the mile high last year on a trip to florida And unfortunately no drinks for 2 weeks till i get back home, dry camp and we do breathalyzer before we get on the plane lol
Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcledrew View Post
You have the worst understanding of luck.

Just kidding, congrats on the job, what site are you on? I've probably been there, or am there, depending. As for the flights? I did some trans-pacifics before, 13+ hours each way. Three things to remember:
1. Take the time to improve yourself: read, do puzzles, take trivia tests, etc., then again, if you're a welder, reading is a puzzle in and of itself. [too far? sorry, it had to be done ]
2. Move: keep your blood flowing. Get and walk to the bathroom even if you don't need to.
3. Drink water: this will help with #2. or, #1, depending on what we're talking about.
thanks for the advice, on the kearl oil sands site
Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with posters above. I used to rack up 250K miles a year. Here's a few tips:

1. Hydrate well: before (days before too), during, and after flight. Always buy a bottle of water once you get through security. No matter how long your flight is, if there is bad turbulence, the pilot will order the flight crew to remain seated and that could be a long time before that drink cart makes it way around.
2. Pack snacks... never know when the plane will be delayed (on tarmac), or diverted.
3. Stay off junk food (empty calorie types)... spend the extra money on fruits/nuts, etc, if you find yourself in need of something in the airport.
4. Get up and stretch often, especially your legs/feet. Keep yourself in shape... it helps with long flights.
5. Wear loose fitting clothes, slip on shoes (like Crocs... they may look stupid but are perfect for long flights)
6. Pack at least a change of clothes in a carry on, especially underwear. A great brand is Ex Officio... $25 a pair but they are the most comfortable and made for endurance travel.
7. Pack small toiletry items (TSA-approved containers)
8. Pack a roll-up, quality pillow. REI sells some nice ones.
9. Baby wipes... buy 'em, pack 'em, use 'em. Trust me.
10. Luggage: Don't buy a black suitcase. Everyone has one, therefore making yours tough to distinguish among hundreds of others. Get something that will stand out so you can spot it right away and get the hell out of the airport faster.
11. One more: Use a site like SEATGURU.COM to look at the seat you are assigned and it will tell you if there any problems with it on a specific type of aircraft. For example, if your seat happens to not recline or some bullshit like that.

Good luck... sounds like a great new adventure for you.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
^ thanks for the tips. I wish i could use # 11, i'm on a charter plane all the time so no assigned seats
Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
ambien
Old 06-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. I used to (and still to some extent) do lots of flying and long flights. All I ever needed was my iPod. I never slept on them, rarely ate, and there was only one flight from LAX to Sydney, Australia, where I drank a lot on lol I put movies on my ipod in case I got tired of listening to music. The last international one I did, there was a power outlet on my seat that allowed for me to plug my ipod in, so it was charged for the connecting flights or to keep it going (since movies can drain the battery). That's all I needed to last me. Watch 4 movies in a row, and mix in some music, and the flight will be over like that! On the next flight, which I'll be doing in a few weeks, I'll have my MacBook Pro I'll probably be using a lot on. Mainly for work though. Maybe it's just me, but I find the long international flights easy and relaxing. Airports are a hassle though. Next year will be fun though, when I'll be visiting at least 30 different countries.