Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Firefighting

Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
oregon.country is on a distinguished road
Name: Mackenzie
oregon.country's Tacoma Gallery
Firefighting

I just recently decided to pursue firefighting as a career and will be stating next month at Chemeketa Community College in Oregon. I did two years of civil engineering and didn't enjoy it a bit. I had always wanted to be a firefighter, but chose to do civil engineering because of the great job opportunities out there and the great $$$. The program I am going to be entering is through Chemeketa Community College in Salem, Oregon. The program doesn't start until March so I will be doing EMT courses for fall and winter terms until the program starts. What I was wondering was what kind of higher education is there in firefighting after the associates and what can I do to be more sought after as a employee. I really want to hear from firefighters all over on their knowledge of the fire science field and any recommendations they have. Thanks a ton.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Go to paramedic school.

I went to fire school and emt school (florida) in 2009, and haven't been hired yet. I have been really close (made it to final 3 people for a job....but no dice) and so far it has been because I wasn't a medic.

I just finished medic school and am starting to look for jobs again (hard to during medic school)

Being a medic makes you much more hire-able because there are very few people that are willing to go to medic school because its pain in the ass. A good way to look at it is that here in FL last year 40,000 people tested for their EMT-B, and 2000 tested for their medic....

Volly somewhere, its good on a resume and gives you some experience.

Keep going to school, it makes you look like a more serious candidate to potential hiring departments.

The economy sucks right now, so it will be hard to get hired anyways.(and the first thing any govt cuts is fire/ems/police...right??) Just keeping going to school and DONT GIVE UP!!