Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

How to Become a Mechanical Engineer?!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
YoungTacoLover is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
YoungTacoLover's Tacoma Gallery
How to Become a Mechanical Engineer?!

Okay so i was thinking about becoming a GM Mechanic... Though i thought about it and i would really like to be a M.E... I love designing stuff, loved to take apart all my toys and put them togethor haha, I had designed trailers and trucks all through Elementary school! ( Got good at them too lol for an 8th grader )... Anything and everything that had to be done with making something, i did it... I made gokarts in 8th grade, out of big wheels, tires and rims, car battery. and some other metals! ( Got good at them too lol for an 8th grader )... I loved watching people make things, and i loved actually doing things even more! Im also VERY good with computers ( was going to be a Systems Software Engineer ). And now im getting ready to go to college soon, and i need a set plan so i dont mess up.

So... What would be the proper steps in finding the right college, classes, internships... etc????

I know i need a 4 year school for an Engineering Degree, and should take lots of math... But what classes specifically would help me the best?? And if you have any input about any schools in Arizona that would help ALOT

Thanks alot for helping
Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Also... Do i have to Attend a University?? i Live 10 mins from the UTI in Arizona... Can i become a M.E There?? Or do i have to attend a 4 year community college or University?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
There is Mesa Community College ( 4 year ) that has a class called:

Electromechanical Technology/Electromechanical Engineering Tech

Is that the class i want? or will this make me the " CAD Jockey " <--- ( Other recent thread )
Old 07-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
cdstelly is on a distinguished road

cdstelly's Tacoma Gallery
The college that offers you the most scholarship based on act or sat... Aka the cheapest with that offers M.E.

In the math dept, you'll have to take calculus 1,2 and 3, and Differential Equations. Maybe a basic Stat class too.

Obviously your intro to physics, maybe a chemistry.

You'll have to take a couple thermodynamics classes, a vibrations class, a couple more physics, and classes called simply Mechanics.

You'll have a couple labs where you get to use lathes and CNCs.

And that's ME in a nutshell! Best of luck to you.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdstelly View Post
The college that offers you the most scholarship based on act or sat... Aka the cheapest with that offers M.E.

In the math dept, you'll have to take calculus 1,2 and 3, and Differential Equations. Maybe a basic Stat class too.

You'll have to take a couple thermodynamics classes, a vibrations class, a couple more physics, and classes called simply Mechanics.

Ive already used those... My Highschool had a Woodshop class, i was in it for 2 years, and i passed it on the top %5 of the class for both years.

Also i heard that UOA in Arizona is one of the Easiest schools to get into... Though its a hardcore PARTY School... Its always an option if i cant get into ASU, but it has Mechanical Engineering as a class...
Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Though ASU Has a %95 acceptance rate... The ME Class itself is hard to get into... I dont have a good GPA in Highschool because i played around the entire time. I have like a 2.0 maybe even lower... I still need to complete my Senior year, so i will try my absolute hardest to get my GPA up as much as possible... Im good at school, just chose to slack ... I regret that now :/
Old 07-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
asu is way more of a party school than uoa haha

but im sorry i cant really help on this topic..
Old 07-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
Im in my first semester now, and w/e school you decide should have a degree plan for engineering online so you can see exactly what classes but so far at my 2 year school, as far as math goes MTH 291 Diff Equation is my highest level, and then of cousre theres other calculus classes, chemistry and physics. I dont know how high it will get when I transfer to a 4 year school, but like i said you can look up degree plans for different fields of engineering, just know that Engineering Technology is not Engineering. Good Luck
Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
good schools 4year college. get ur general education done then transfer. im taking classes next semester once i get done with my fire certs. cal poly and stanford are pricey but im gonna go to poly. to ways to go though.mechanical u can get more hands on vs software engineer more technical computer based. you'll take bio classes, physics, mechanical basically how things work, auto cad, im basically doing the same job as a mechanical engineer but without the degree=less money. get that degree and easily make $60k year. u go to stanford and its $100k year
Old 07-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Thanks alot guys And what do you mean by get your general education done first? Do you mean go to a 2 year college for 2 years and take all the physics, chem, alll that stuff?? Then transfer to a 4 year school and go there for another 4 years studying Mechanical Engineering??
Old 07-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am doing mechanical engineering with am automotive concentration at Arizona state university and I'm wally happy with the classes and what iv learned about the automotive market. This is muxh different than uti which only teaches how yo work on cars but no theory and engineering behind it, from what iv heard from people who got a uti degree and are now Im my classes at asu doing my same degree.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
I am doing mechanical engineering with am automotive concentration at Arizona state university and I'm wally happy with the classes and what iv learned about the automotive market. This is muxh different than uti which only teaches how yo work on cars but no theory and engineering behind it, from what iv heard from people who got a uti degree and are now Im my classes at asu doing my same degree.
Mind if i PM you about the classes and stuff? Someone who is going to the school i want to, and the same stuff would help me SOOOO MUCH!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ya man NP, I'm at work all day but ill shoot you a pm back when I can
Old 07-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
How old are you? I origional life plan was to become an ME. Can you find a job at a shop somewhere? That's what i did. A company near where I live had a grunt shop opening. I would sweep the floors, do some assembly work of machines they designed that low level type stuff. Then ocassionally I'd get thrown a job that didn't require a ton of experiance and would get put on a mill or lathe to 'play' Maybe get something like this while you go to college? My situation was different than most though. I was part time school full time job because I also had a child and gf to support.

Good luck man
Old 07-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Second year mechanical engineering here.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch14 View Post
How old are you? I origional life plan was to become an ME. Can you find a job at a shop somewhere? That's what i did. A company near where I live had a grunt shop opening. I would sweep the floors, do some assembly work of machines they designed that low level type stuff. Then ocassionally I'd get thrown a job that didn't require a ton of experiance and would get put on a mill or lathe to 'play' Maybe get something like this while you go to college? My situation was different than most though. I was part time school full time job because I also had a child and gf to support.

Good luck man
I am 17, and yeah i know someone close who works at a shop, they are really chill people, so i may be able to do that there. but idk. I will probably be doing the same... Full time student, part time job. Because id need to pay for a truck and things that, also my family is pretty broke so no one is going to be paying for college for me, i will need to make money on my own... but idk too much of the student loan thing... so im not completly sure about the job situation
Old 07-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Join the service. They will pay for college, even if you don't go ROTC.

I thought you didn't want a desk job ME's make better money than most techs though.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdstelly View Post

this^^^

I had to take calc1-3, diff eq, and linear algebra. Also chem 1 and 2 as well as physics 1 and 2. Im now getting into the fun labs and mechanics/thermo/fluids classes.

OP, be ready to completely devote at least 4 years of your life to studying because that is what it takes (at least at my school, New Mexico Tech). Also to be honest, you need a masters degree nowadays to guarantee a good secure job for the future.

good luck.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #19
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Join the service. They will pay for college, even if you don't go ROTC.

I thought you didn't want a desk job ME's make better money than most techs though.

I hate to pimp the service as a way to get free schooling; but it is a great way to get some experience under your belt and money for school. IF your smart and do some classes while you are in you can use your GI Bill to finish your Bachelors or advance to a Masters.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
P-Hill Tacoma is on a distinguished road

P-Hill Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I am a ME. Going on 19 years. You should start talking to your high school counselor as soon as possible. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. Getting a degree from a accredited school is important which usually means a university. If your grades cant get you accepted out of high school, some 2 year colleges offer engineering classes that will then transfer to a university so you can complete your degree there. You want to be absolutely positive they will transfer or you may be taking them over. Good luck.