Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Associates Degree....

Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
Associates Degree....

Heres the deal: This coming December I will have my Associates degree, I thinking about transferring to a University to go ahead and get my Bachelors degree. The main question I have is What types of Jobs do some of you guys have with just an Associates Degree? Any comments will be helpful!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I will have my associates next october and am trying to decide if I want to continue and get my civil engineering degree after that.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
What is your associate's in? This is a very field- and job- specific question.

For example, I'm in computers, and a computer science associate's if you want to be in software development... you may as well wipe your ass with the degree, because it isn't any good for anything else.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
What is your associate's in? This is a very field- and job- specific question.

For example, I'm in computers, and a computer science associate's if you want to be in software development... you may as well wipe your ass with the degree, because it isn't any good for anything else.
My degree is called Associate in Arts, in NC it is a degree that will transfer 100% into any instate college, knocking out all the bs classes that bachelor degree requires. It pretty much consists of all your general classes from English, math, science, history, religion, psychology, sociology, and has about 8 business classes.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I'd absolutely go for your bachelors in something specific, depending on what you want to do.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerretxx View Post
My degree is called Associate in Arts, in NC it is a degree that will transfer 100% into any instate college, knocking out all the bs classes that bachelor degree requires. It pretty much consists of all your general classes from English, math, science, history, religion, psychology, sociology, and has about 8 business classes.
I'd get a bachelor's if you have a specific career as a goal. That doesn't sound like much of a degree on its own.

If you don't know what you want to do when you grow up yet, you can always wait a year or two, get some internships, and try to figure it out.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Some do, others talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
I'd get a bachelor's if you have a specific career as a goal. That doesn't sound like much of a degree on its own.

If you don't know what you want to do when you grow up yet, you can always wait a year or two, get some internships, and try to figure it out.
Im more than likely going to get the bachelor, im just exploring other options. With my job now I do outside sales, which I really enjoy, just not sure if I want to do this forever
Old 08-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerretxx View Post
Im more than likely going to get the bachelor, im just exploring other options. With my job now I do outside sales, which I really enjoy, just not sure if I want to do this forever
I would. Sounds like a good associate's to get gen-ed out of the way at community college prices, which isn't a bad thing at all. That being said, I think that's what the degree is really for... I don't think it gains you much on your resume.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
I have an AA in Electronics technology and do Field engr work. I love it. work from home, service/install C.T. scanners. make good money. dont need a 4yr unless I want management in future which I DO NOT.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
Some do, others talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Go as far as you can with your education, you will appreciate it down the road.
thank you, I am pretty sure im going to go ahead and transfer since I only lack 2 years, but I was just curious on other options.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
D13 is a glorious beacon of lightD13 is a glorious beacon of lightD13 is a glorious beacon of lightD13 is a glorious beacon of lightD13 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: D
D13's Tacoma Gallery
I had only my associates for a few years it helped me out .. ZERO.

Take a year off, and then get your Bachelors...

the benefit of transferring is ...
1. your GPA resets, so whatever you get your first semester is your GPA.. so make sure to get a 4.0 your first semester.
2. Most of your classes will be your "core" classes, so it will be much more interesting and involved without having to take history before 1877 and all the fun general ed. classes.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
MistaLos is on a distinguished road
MistaLos's Tacoma Gallery
I too am debating this move...I have an A.S. in information technology and have reached a system administrator level so far which isn't bad at all. But now I cant decide if I want to pursue my bachelors or get a couple of certifications under my belt
Old 10-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaLos View Post
I too am debating this move...I have an A.S. in information technology and have reached a system administrator level so far which isn't bad at all. But now I cant decide if I want to pursue my bachelors or get a couple of certifications under my belt
In IT, reaching SA level is a great step, but to be honest, you are severely limited without a bachelor's (or higher) degree or substantial experience in the field. Don't bother with certifications unless they are critical to a specific career path you want to take. Degrees mean more than certifications under nearly all circumstances.

Hint: A mix of a degree + certs + experience = B.I.N.G.O.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
MistaLos is on a distinguished road
MistaLos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmgt View Post
In IT, reaching SA level is a great step, but to be honest, you are severely limited without a bachelor's (or higher) degree or substantial experience in the field. Don't bother with certifications unless they are critical to a specific career path you want to take. Degrees mean more than certifications under nearly all circumstances.

Hint: A mix of a degree + certs + experience = B.I.N.G.O.
Thanks for the input. I've been in the sys admin position for almost 6 months now and prior to that I was helpdesk for 1yr and 1/2 so I'm gaining some decent experience. I've only been out of school for 6 mo. so I'm thinking about waiting another 6 and go after the bachelors. Lot's of opportunity for advancement too which is nice! BTW what do you do??
Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Mostly, I think an associate's is just a stepping stone to getting the bachelor's degree. I'm pretty sure you can get just about the same amount of jobs with related work experience as you can with an associate's degree but not so much if the job requires a bachelor's or higher. Things are much tighter nowadays so the further you can take it, the more options you'll have but yes, it is a personal decision to weigh the importance of how far you take it with the time, expense and other things in life shuffling your priorities.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
an associates in arts is worthless in the job market IMO. Go for a real bachelors in the field of your choice. If that field is any type of science you'll need at least a masters if you want a decent job.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #18
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I'm only about a year out from my bachelor's degree, and from seeing today's job market, I feel as though a Bachelor's is BARELY enough to be competitive in this market. More and more signs are leaning towards a Master's if you really want to have a good job right out of school. I work with so many people even now that are doing the same job I am, and they all have Bachelor's degrees... You need to get your foot in the door early and get your name out there often. Long story short... Stay in school, at least until you get your Bachelor's.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
yarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Yuri
yarik83's Tacoma Gallery
Based on whom you ask associate degree means nothing or something. Associate degree usually comes from insert name here technical institutes that offer you a 8 months-2 year program. In most cases associate is good for something like Wyotec where they teach you how to work on cars and motorcycles. Outcome of that is that you will be a mechanic. You can also be a lab technician, a phlebotomist or any one of those short term careers paying no more than 30 grand per year.

Most 30K+ jobs seek at least a bachelor degree or associate with like 20 years field experience. Unfortunately that implies just that... a 4 year degree will go a longer way.

Here is something most people have a hard time coming to terms to:
You go to community college and take a bunch of credits. You then transfer some (could be all, could be half, could be some) credits into higher institution. Unfortunately your GPA resets like pointed in post above AND you have absolutely nothing to offset your GPA with. In other words unless you are a scientific genius any bad grade (below B) will negatively and permanently affect your GPA. Taking and retaking failed classes will cost you more than if you would have taken all classes in a 4 year college.

Perfect example: 127 credits required to graduate with a degree in lets say computer engineering.
80 credits taken in a community college GPA 3.7 upon finishing
47 credits required by major. Starts off with GPA of 0 and ...
4.0=A
3.5=B
3.0=C
2.5=D (possibly put on probation)
2.0=F (put on probation or expelled)

That is a huge gamble as most students do not get straight A's and significant percentage gets between B and C average.

Downside is that on your first semester you can flunk lets say 2 classes and it will haunt you until you graduate and will really suck to have a bachelor degree with low gpa to show for it.

A thing to consider is that most 4 year colleges will come up with a really good reason of why they will not allow you to transfer all of your classes or if they do they will find a way to make you take more classes (ie english 101, 102, 103).

I had 48 credits from community college. Only 24 transferred to 4 year college. In 4 year college they constantly made tweaks to my major which required me to take more classes just because.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
New Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Retired
Name: Fred
New Mexico Taco's Tacoma Gallery
AA degree

I got an associates in Digital Electronics and make in excess of 55 grand a year working on Kirtland AFB.