Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

a little help from fellow engineers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
cstephan [OP] cstephan is offline
Senior Member
cstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
cstephan's Avatar
Name: Carl
Joined: Aug 2011, #61105
Location: western MD
Gender: Male
Posts: 293
cstephan's Tacoma Gallery
a little help from fellow engineers

Hello TW.

I am having some trouble finding jobs that I can get past the automated screening system that companys put in place. I am a product engineer with an extensive mechanical engineering and high voltage back ground. I would like to get into quality control or test engineering. My degree is a bs physics. I have 3 years experience with mechanical engineer and working directly with manufacturing. I would like to move west but I would relocate anywhere also. A little help would be appreciated
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jeckel7234's Avatar
Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
Joined: May 2011, #56533
Location: VA
Gender: Male
Posts: 879
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
good luck
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
cstephan [OP] cstephan is offline
Senior Member
cstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
cstephan's Avatar
Name: Carl
Joined: Aug 2011, #61105
Location: western MD
Gender: Male
Posts: 293
cstephan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
good luck
I don't have a engineering degree, that's what is making this very hard! But physics is just as math and analytical as engineering
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
cstephan [OP] cstephan is offline
Senior Member
cstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
cstephan's Avatar
Name: Carl
Joined: Aug 2011, #61105
Location: western MD
Gender: Male
Posts: 293
cstephan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Perhaps you can start taking a few classes in ME since you already have your general ed and physics done. I know most companies out here require an engineering degree.
I was accepted to wvu master in mechanical engineering, pending 30 hours in gateway classes. But I should be able to get into test engineering with my Physics degree. Any hiring managers want to give me a look?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Member
RAMZAK has a spectacular aura aboutRAMZAK has a spectacular aura about
Name: Mark
Joined: Oct 2009, #23883
Location: Houston
Gender: Male
Posts: 85
RAMZAK's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Looks like you need some schooling son.

As an Engineer and Business Development Manager for all of TX, OK and LA for my manufacturing company. I have $10+ million dollars of revenue and about 50 employees under me. I can tell you one thing for sure NO ONE gets a "real job" calling any type of automated B.S. or from monster.com or any other thing like that.

You truely have to become outgoing and go to networking events, tradeshows, and organzational events(like ISA, ASME, etc...) to meet people. This is typically very hard for the "engineer type" person as they usually are introverted and do not communicate well. It is a skill than CAN be aquired with a little effort.

This is where you will meet people that can go around the automated stuff and just tell their HR dept, "interview this guy."

Lastly, you must not only communicate well but you must present well. Engineering companies usually produce or design some sort of "widget" there will come a time when a customer has to ask a very technical question and they will need an engineer to answer it. I cant tell you how many times I have dreaded sending my customer to one of our engineers because these guys look ridiculous!

Some people will flame me for the following comments but I dont care. I know who I am, what I make, and what is right. The people that get mad at the following probably work at the mall or if they are succesful, they own their own business.

1. Shave!
2. Cover your tatoos. DONT get anymore
3. Black Jeans ARE NOT APPROPRIATE, they are NOT to be worn instead of slacks. People come to interview with me in black jeans, I immediately will not see them.
4. Wear a suit. Make sure your tie is less than 5yrs old and does not have its own beard from fraying.
5. Come prepared with questions for the interviewee.
6. NEVER say ANYTHING NEGATIVE. Abuot a previous employer, about the weather, about politics, about cats, about anything! EVRYTHING that comes out of your mouth should be POSITIVE!
7. DO NOT give the same resume to evry job you apply for. A resume has to be "optimaly tweaked" for every specific job.

You said that you would consider moving? My wife here in TX is a recruiter for Engineers and she dozens of unfilled jobs. PM me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
graymaurer is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2009, #14840
Location: Santa Rosa
Gender: Male
Posts: 125
graymaurer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZAK View Post
Looks like you need some schooling son.

As an Engineer and Business Development Manager for all of TX, OK and LA for my manufacturing company. I have $10+ million dollars of revenue and about 50 employees under me. I can tell you one thing for sure NO ONE gets a "real job" calling any type of automated B.S. or from monster.com or any other thing like that.

You truely have to become outgoing and go to networking events, tradeshows, and organzational events(like ISA, ASME, etc...) to meet people. This is typically very hard for the "engineer type" person as they usually are introverted and do not communicate well. It is a skill than CAN be aquired with a little effort.

This is where you will meet people that can go around the automated stuff and just tell their HR dept, "interview this guy."

Lastly, you must not only communicate well but you must present well. Engineering companies usually produce or design some sort of "widget" there will come a time when a customer has to ask a very technical question and they will need an engineer to answer it. I cant tell you how many times I have dreaded sending my customer to one of our engineers because these guys look ridiculous!

Some people will flame me for the following comments but I dont care. I know who I am, what I make, and what is right. The people that get mad at the following probably work at the mall or if they are succesful, they own their own business.

1. Shave!
2. Cover your tatoos. DONT get anymore
3. Black Jeans ARE NOT APPROPRIATE, they are NOT to be worn instead of slacks. People come to interview with me in black jeans, I immediately will not see them.
4. Wear a suit. Make sure your tie is less than 5yrs old and does not have its own beard from fraying.
5. Come prepared with questions for the interviewee.
6. NEVER say ANYTHING NEGATIVE. Abuot a previous employer, about the weather, about politics, about cats, about anything! EVRYTHING that comes out of your mouth should be POSITIVE!
7. DO NOT give the same resume to evry job you apply for. A resume has to be "optimaly tweaked" for every specific job.

You said that you would consider moving? My wife here in TX is a recruiter for Engineers and she dozens of unfilled jobs. PM me.

Agreed, for the most part. Posting your resume online is not a waste of time. I've seen it work. Why not put it out there if you already have your resume(s) and cover letter(s) complete? Never hurts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Member
RAMZAK has a spectacular aura aboutRAMZAK has a spectacular aura about
Name: Mark
Joined: Oct 2009, #23883
Location: Houston
Gender: Male
Posts: 85
RAMZAK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by graymaurer View Post
Agreed, for the most part. Posting your resume online is not a waste of time. I've seen it work. Why not put it out there if you already have your resume(s) and cover letter(s) complete? Never hurts.
Not so much posting, but applying for jobs listed online.

My wife DOES find candidates online.

Check out:
www.rigzone.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
graymaurer is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2009, #14840
Location: Santa Rosa
Gender: Male
Posts: 125
graymaurer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZAK View Post
Not so much posting, but applying for jobs listed online.

My wife DOES find candidates online.

Check out:
www.rigzone.com

Ah, I see what you mean.

As to what you said about being personable, ABSOLUTELY AGREE. Engineers work in teams, learn how to interact/socialize/communicate!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Feb 2011, #51331
Location: GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 796
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Great info right there ^ especially 5-7.
AND 1 -4 probably equally important.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,310
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstephan View Post
I don't have a engineering degree, that's what is making this very hard! But physics is just as math and analytical as engineering
A degree is physics does not have the option of moving forward to a PE License. If that's what you want to do, you might want to consider going back to school.

Also, I don't know how old you are or how far out of college you are but networking is by far the best way to find a job now days. It's not what you know, it's who you know (within reason). Most companies can train you to do the work as long as you have an adequate background. Look for alumni of the college you attended in the area you want to work and just get talking to people. Headhunters can be affective and can tell you what areas you'll have better luck finding work in. Most of them get paid by the prospective employers also, so going through a headhunter is no cost to you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
derekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to behold
 
derekAV's Avatar
Name: derek
Joined: Nov 2009, #25921
Location: A.V. / Fairfield CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 575
derekAV's Tacoma Gallery
great info. I will remember. Im still a student, getting my BS in ME. thanks for the info!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:14 AM   #15
cstephan [OP] cstephan is offline
Senior Member
cstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
cstephan's Avatar
Name: Carl
Joined: Aug 2011, #61105
Location: western MD
Gender: Male
Posts: 293
cstephan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
A degree is physics does not have the option of moving forward to a PE License. If that's what you want to do, you might want to consider going back to school.

Also, I don't know how old you are or how far out of college you are but networking is by far the best way to find a job now days. It's not what you know, it's who you know (within reason). Most companies can train you to do the work as long as you have an adequate background. Look for alumni of the college you attended in the area you want to work and just get talking to people. Headhunters can be affective and can tell you what areas you'll have better luck finding work in. Most of them get paid by the prospective employers also, so going through a headhunter is no cost to you.
I would like to correct you on the PE license. It is determined by the state you live in, or employed in. I was accepted to take the FE exam when I was living in VA, and I just got my application back from MD telling me I was accepted to take it in MD. The only difference is, with a BSME you don't have to apply to take the test, you are already granted the opportunity to. I will be taking the FE exam in April, once I pass I will be a EIT, then I have to work for a PE for 4 years, and then take the PE exam. The PE exam is not just limited to those who have a BSME. You can apply for it with 10 or more years experience as a mechanical engineer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #16
\m/.....\m/
ph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedph16drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ph16drive's Avatar
Name: Paul
Joined: Jan 2008, #4360
Location: Clevelandish
Age: 43
Gender: Dude
Posts: 560
ph16drive's Tacoma Gallery
So much good info here. Especially from Mark (RAMZAK). I can't offer anything that hasn't already been said but STUDY, LEARN and LIVE Mark's post #6! He's given you a lot of great tips!

+Network! Network! Network! Most of my engineering jobs have been from friends, acquaintances or people I know (and I know how that sounds or what it implies but it's not like that). I'm thankful to have a job right now considering all that's going on. Maybe you already did this but you have to start with your friends, family and people you know. Having a wife/girlfriend also doubles the number of people you can network with. I've had offers from people my wife knows.

+Get your Eng. degree, fortunately or unfortunately (however you look at it) you won't get an engineering position w/o an engineering degree. Other than finding work to support yourself, your degree is your #1 priority. And most universities/colleges have placement resources to help you once you have that degree ~ use it!

+Becoming a PE is NOT the pinnacle of engineering IMO. Neither is getting your masters. I've worked with PE's who came and went at our company and I can tell you that out of the 4 I've worked with, only 1 had any practical not-so-common knowledge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,310
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstephan View Post
I would like to correct you on the PE license. It is determined by the state you live in, or employed in. I was accepted to take the FE exam when I was living in VA, and I just got my application back from MD telling me I was accepted to take it in MD. The only difference is, with a BSME you don't have to apply to take the test, you are already granted the opportunity to. I will be taking the FE exam in April, once I pass I will be a EIT, then I have to work for a PE for 4 years, and then take the PE exam. The PE exam is not just limited to those who have a BSME. You can apply for it with 10 or more years experience as a mechanical engineer.
Sorry man, I had never heard of such a thing!

In that case, that should increase your odds quite a bit I would think!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #18
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Feb 2011, #51331
Location: GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 796
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
1-4 is usually a given unless your a hermit.

A given if you time travel back to 1955. Take a look at all the crap that goes under the umbrella of "free expression" and "diversity" nowadays.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #19
Senior Member
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Boerseun's Avatar
Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Joined: Jul 2011, #60538
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,225
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstephan View Post
I would like to correct you on the PE license. It is determined by the state you live in, or employed in. I was accepted to take the FE exam when I was living in VA, and I just got my application back from MD telling me I was accepted to take it in MD. The only difference is, with a BSME you don't have to apply to take the test, you are already granted the opportunity to. I will be taking the FE exam in April, once I pass I will be a EIT, then I have to work for a PE for 4 years, and then take the PE exam. The PE exam is not just limited to those who have a BSME. You can apply for it with 10 or more years experience as a mechanical engineer.
In some states you can, in others not. I have a BS in Civil engineering, but it is not an ABET approved curriculum, so I can not do the FE or PE in Florida. Florida is very strict about it. In Georgia and a few other states, including MD, just like you, I can take the test. I am thinking about doing it in Georgia, because not being able to become a PE puts a lot of stumbleblocks in my way of advancement. I have been able to work myself up as construction manager, but have reached a ceiling that I can only overcome if I have a PE. But I will have to move to another state then, which I don't want to do.
Anyway, I am glad you are able to at least get your EIT and then PE. Good luck. Networking, even on this thread, is very important to find that perfect opportunity.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #20
Senior Member
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Oct 2009, #25015
Location: bay area, california
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,762
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
good luck. if the california economy wasnt about to implode, i could get you in.

we are about to get a tunnel online in about a year. getting the (scada) control system online is giving me nightmares..

i am not so sure california is hiring non-engineers for positions, but our contractors do.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Engineers? jeckel7234 Jobs & Careers 82 11-19-2011 10:30 PM
For the Engineers jdkeller Entertainment 5 08-23-2011 09:20 PM
how many engineers in here? sctrdtaco03 Jobs & Careers 73 10-11-2010 01:07 PM
Engineers SilverStreak05 Jobs & Careers 37 05-20-2010 12:15 PM
Any engineers? jcayce 2nd Gen. Tacomas 8 04-21-2010 08:27 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.