1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any roofers on here? Roofing question

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by thebigk, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Sep 21, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    thebigk

thebigk [OP] 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I have a flat top house with parapet walls. It's a built up tar and gravel roof. (Joys of living in NM....damn Southwest style)

The roof is divided in 4 parts by these walls....garage, laundry room, front porch, main living area. It's a sideways T shape...garage left arm of the t....living area the long part....laundry room the other arm of the t.

My gas hot water heater is in the garage corner where the laundry room, garage and living room meet.

Well last year the roof leaked around the hot water heater and the leak traveled along a joist I'm guessing to the laundry room. I found some deteriorated asphalt on the parapet walls righ there and I thought the vent wasn't sealed to the roof. So I tarred the piss out of it and laid that fiberglass mesh....tarred over it.

Long story short....it leaked again

NOW THEN

I had 3 roofers come give me an estimate.....they all 3 said the roof is in great shape.

2 said the parapet walls in that area need work
    1 said he could just fix the leaky area...he knew what the problem was
    All 3 are VERY reputable roofers in the area. The first 3 names you hear when you hear roofer.

2 estimated roughly $1500 to build up the walls and retar and gravel the whole garage.
    1 estimated $180 dollars just to fix the leak area.

My question is......does that $180 even sound like a repair?
    None of them put aguarantee on repairs. Does that sound right???

Just looking for some input....I don't want the roof to leak again!

Sorry for the loooong post :eek:

2. Sep 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    While usually what costs less will cost more in the long run when it comes to home improvement and repairs, the guy who estimated $180.00 might know exactly what the problem is and fix it fast. He also could be full of shit and cost you an extra $180.00 in the end. However, it would be to your benefit to use him as a first option, seeing that it is a much cheaper option. If in the end it does not work, you did not lose much. It is better than paying $1,500 when it was not needed.

You do need to ask him the following questions though:

1. Is that a final estimate or is he going to raise the estimate as he works?

It is fine if he finds something unexpected, but try and make sure that what he quotes you, is what you will end paying. I've seen 1 too many times where someone who get quoted $300, ends up paying $1000.

2. What exactly is he going to do and how does he know that is the problem?

Be honest with him. Tell him you are worried about the problem and need it fixed, and that while you want to save as much as possible, you do not want to have to redo it later on.

3. Ask why they don't guarantee it.

There are works I personally do not guarantee sometimes. However, there are specific reasons each time. Check out what he tells you and think about it. It might make or not make sense. Usually people do not guarantee what will be a repeat problem area. Try and see if this is why they do not guarantee it and then ask them how they can make the problem go away permanently.

I'm a construction contractor, hence why I'm telling you the specifics of what to ask.

As a side note: Sometimes the higher estimate is really the best choice. This might not be your situation though.

3. Sep 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Good advice ^

To Top