Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any roofers on here? Roofing question

Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Any roofers on here? Roofing question

I have a flat top house with parapet walls. It's a built up tar and gravel roof. (Joys of living in NM....damn Southwest style)

The roof is divided in 4 parts by these walls....garage, laundry room, front porch, main living area. It's a sideways T shape...garage left arm of the t....living area the long part....laundry room the other arm of the t.

My gas hot water heater is in the garage corner where the laundry room, garage and living room meet.

Well last year the roof leaked around the hot water heater and the leak traveled along a joist I'm guessing to the laundry room. I found some deteriorated asphalt on the parapet walls righ there and I thought the vent wasn't sealed to the roof. So I tarred the piss out of it and laid that fiberglass mesh....tarred over it.

Long story short....it leaked again

NOW THEN

I had 3 roofers come give me an estimate.....they all 3 said the roof is in great shape.

2 said the parapet walls in that area need work
1 said he could just fix the leaky area...he knew what the problem was
All 3 are VERY reputable roofers in the area. The first 3 names you hear when you hear roofer.

2 estimated roughly $1500 to build up the walls and retar and gravel the whole garage.
1 estimated $180 dollars just to fix the leak area.

My question is......does that $180 even sound like a repair?
None of them put aguarantee on repairs. Does that sound right???

Just looking for some input....I don't want the roof to leak again!

Sorry for the loooong post
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
While usually what costs less will cost more in the long run when it comes to home improvement and repairs, the guy who estimated $180.00 might know exactly what the problem is and fix it fast. He also could be full of shit and cost you an extra $180.00 in the end. However, it would be to your benefit to use him as a first option, seeing that it is a much cheaper option. If in the end it does not work, you did not lose much. It is better than paying $1,500 when it was not needed.

You do need to ask him the following questions though:

1. Is that a final estimate or is he going to raise the estimate as he works?

It is fine if he finds something unexpected, but try and make sure that what he quotes you, is what you will end paying. I've seen 1 too many times where someone who get quoted $300, ends up paying $1000.

2. What exactly is he going to do and how does he know that is the problem?

Be honest with him. Tell him you are worried about the problem and need it fixed, and that while you want to save as much as possible, you do not want to have to redo it later on.

3. Ask why they don't guarantee it.

There are works I personally do not guarantee sometimes. However, there are specific reasons each time. Check out what he tells you and think about it. It might make or not make sense. Usually people do not guarantee what will be a repeat problem area. Try and see if this is why they do not guarantee it and then ask them how they can make the problem go away permanently.

I'm a construction contractor, hence why I'm telling you the specifics of what to ask.

As a side note: Sometimes the higher estimate is really the best choice. This might not be your situation though.