Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

first responder/EMT

Old 09-25-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
first responder/EMT

Just curious if anyone on here is one? I finished my nationals for EMT-B last week and am waiting on the state and national registry to finish my paperwork. I am also trying to get on the local first responders group. If u have a light/siren set up on your trucks I would love to see them so I can get an idea of what to put on mine.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
There are a few I'm one in training.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ask-medic.html
Old 09-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Me! but im not 21 one so i cant work on the ambulances here
Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Zombie Killer
surferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of lightsurferkid is a glorious beacon of light

EMS: EMT
surferkid's Tacoma Gallery
if your not als or transporting is there reason to drive code to a call? as a basic all you can really do is push O2 so why is there a need to drive around code with a trauma bag when als should be there in 15 min? ems is different in SD so just kinda curious cause ive never heard of first responders doing that to there personal vehicles. would be cool to see though and thanks for your service OP!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Me! but im not 21 one so i cant work on the ambulances here
It says your 25???
Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferkid View Post
if your not als or transporting is there reason to drive code to a call? as a basic all you can really do is push O2 so why is there a need to drive around code with a trauma bag when als should be there in 15 min? ems is different in SD so just kinda curious cause ive never heard of first responders doing that to there personal vehicles. would be cool to see though and thanks for your service OP!
IT's more for the fire side of the house. Where I'm at in order to be a medical first responder you have to be on the FD. If it's not a "hot" medical call we generally don't run code, even in the engine.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Retired from Fire/EMS now, but running lights and sirens on a POV alters your protection from traffic laws. Do your research- not every state will be the same, but many states consider someone running code in their POV to be at fault in any accident, even if the other driver clearly caused the accident. Running code in a POV doesn't even allow you to speed, so the perceived time that you save is minimal. Take your time and fully inform yourself before doing this. Besides, do you know what a light bar does to your MPG's?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #8

I fully understand the risks involved with running code, my main reason for wanting this is to be able to get through intersections faster. I am not in a busy metro area so my biggest "obstacle" is the 3-4 cars in line ahead of me at a 4-way stop, or 2-way for that matter. I dont run any faster when going on a call than I normally do because we all know that you are doing no one any good if you are in/cause an accident on the way.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomery_30824 View Post
I fully understand the risks involved with running code, my main reason for wanting this is to be able to get through intersections faster. I am not in a busy metro area so my biggest "obstacle" is the 3-4 cars in line ahead of me at a 4-way stop, or 2-way for that matter. I dont run any faster when going on a call than I normally do because we all know that you are doing no one any good if you are in/cause an accident on the way.
As it's been mentioned...

You're BLS... Not ALS...

You do not have the capability to transport a patient...

There is a hugely increased danger and personal liability when driving code 3 in a POV... Most regular insurance would deny any claim, as personal vehicle insurance doesn't account for the increased risk associated with lights/sirens driving... You get into any accident... Full liability on you, personally, and/or the registered owner of the vehicle.

Is getting past 3-4 vehicles at a stop sign, to respond as a BLS, non transporting responder worth you risking everything?

... To be honest... I have a very hard time taking a person seriously when they code 3 outfit their POV, with the exception of chiefs or other high ranking officials, (or a medic under extremely rare circumstances), ... And most if them don't even do it...

This is in regards to responding to medicals... If you're in a volunteer only fire department, and you have to respond to FIRES in your POV and meet a unit there, that's a different story as well...

But BLS to a medical in a POV... No way.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan DCFS View Post
As it's been mentioned...

You're BLS... Not ALS...

You do not have the capability to transport a patient...

There is a hugely increased danger and personal liability when driving code 3 in a POV... Most regular insurance would deny any claim, as personal vehicle insurance doesn't account for the increased risk associated with lights/sirens driving... You get into any accident... Full liability on you, personally, and/or the registered owner of the vehicle.

Is getting past 3-4 vehicles at a stop sign, to respond as a BLS, non transporting responder worth you risking everything?

... To be honest... I have a very hard time taking a person seriously when they code 3 outfit their POV, with the exception of chiefs or other high ranking officials, (or a medic under extremely rare circumstances), ... And most if them don't even do it...

This is in regards to responding to medicals... If you're in a volunteer only fire department, and you have to respond to FIRES in your POV and meet a unit there, that's a different story as well...

But BLS to a medical in a POV... No way.
Please excuse my delayed response, Unless you have equipment in your vehicle (why would you), a chief or officer, or medic is unable to provide anything more than BLS, so your argument is invalid. Second my dept is 90% volunteer fire, and on occasion I do respond to the fire ground in my POV.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
My department is 100% volunteer, and we are permitted to respond POV. I respond POV quite a lot to medical calls, because 75% of our district is between me and the station. As for BLS not being able to do much, I have been first on scene many times when I had to start cpr myself or take over for someone else, so I feel like getting to a call fast as POV can be important on some occasions. No my truck is not lit up with lights, and we aren't permitted to haul ass even if they are. I have a simple green LED visor light, and I drive as fast as needed to get to a scene.