1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

any aircraft mechanics??

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by dayNnite4, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Sep 27, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 [OP] We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    im taking my last class to graduate college and have my general and airframe license and passed my written powerplant test and im just waiting to schedule my oral and practical. as im getting ready to get out into the field, im just wondering wat the job is like, wat the employment market is like, and the route u took to becoming an AMT. lots of ppl start at baggage handlers and such to get a good reputation with the airline but others get the job w/o any experience as some sort of apprentice at small, general aviation and corporate airports. and advise/stories is much appreciated!!!

2. May 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    i wish someone would have answered you man. I am looking to go this route. so its been a long time since you posted this. how did it go? dream job? pay is good?

3. May 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    dayNnite4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    got my A&P after tons of studying. i have my own little landscaping gig so im finishing up some summer projects b4 closing that down but ive been hearing about alottt of openings. my school had a program to take all ur necessary classes and all that in just 16 months.. u should def look into it.. its a good license to have even if u dont end up working on planes

4. May 21, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    aaronatl

aaronatl ©1975

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron Nrsa
    In A Big Country
    Vehicle:
    it hauls tostitos
    congrats on getting your a&p, and a degree goes along way with it, but
    you are well on your way to a good start

5. May 21, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    I was a crew chief on C-17 for four years at McChord AFB in WA, i worked with a lot of boeing/dod employees that had their A&P, they virtually did the same things we did, i cant really tell you what the job market is like but the job consists a of plenty of inspections and typical maintenance (tires, oil, refuel) but then i would say it really would depend on what jet you will be working on as to how often and what your replacing due to wear and tear. But i still pretty good saying that you will complete a lot of inspections. I have a few bodies that had gotten their A&P while in and didnt seen to have a big issue getting a job with boeing i just now the interview process was pretty in depth. Let me know if you have any other questions i can ask some of my buddies

6. May 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    dayNnite4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    thanks alot!!

thanks for the heads up. i was speaking with a crew chief and he was telling me about a company called aero tech looking for civilian mechanics for military cargo planes. gave him my resume to forward along but its in atlanta, ga so im gonna try my luck up here. ive been hearing about and following up on alot of opportunities at this private/corporate airport in my area so im keeping my fingers crossed for a job there

To Top