Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

West Virginia Members?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Flagtown Taco is on a distinguished road
Flagtown Taco's Tacoma Gallery
West Virginia Members?

Any WV members on the site?

AZ native here and I'm looking at taking a job in Huntington, WV in May 2012 and checked it out on google maps. Area looks pretty nice as far as hills and open spaces go! Anybody here familiar with the area/from there/live there? Never lived outta state before so it's gonna be pretty nuts to just pick up and move

Post if you've got any input folks!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
NO!!! I mean a job in Huntington is fine.. (where are you going to work at if you don't mind me asking?)
But do NOT live in Huntington. VERY few places left that are worth a crap. You wouldn't think WV would be that bad about being ghetto but huntington is bad. At LEAST one shooting/stabbing a week. Having a major issue with people from MI moving down and dealing/moving drugs.

Now outside of Huntington is nice. Barboursville is very nice and quiet... Milton is a bit more country but still good.. on the other side you have kenova and ceredo which are small but quiet and cheap.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
taco king
snoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
snoozeworm's Tacoma Gallery
^^ What he said. Wv is a beautiful place to live. The people are friendly and it feels generally safe. Then there is Huntington... Just find a house 20 to 30 minutes outside of the city and you will be good to go. I may be going to Hunting area with my wife in 2013 so that she can get her masters degree at Marshall.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #5
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozeworm View Post
^^ What he said. Wv is a beautiful place to live. The people are friendly and it feels generally safe. Then there is Huntington... Just find a house 20 to 30 minutes outside of the city and you will be good to go. I may be going to Hunting area with my wife in 2013 so that she can get her masters degree at Marshall.
If you want a major f-ing headache go to Marshall.. otherwise WVU is where it's at!
I wasn't the only one with issues with MU. Seems they can't keep their student loans/grants in order. I was suppose to have a full grant... it came time to finish classes up and I get a thing in the mail stating I wouldn't "graduate" if I didn't pay $2,400 for my summer classes.. wtf?! THEN I had to call 3 million people to find out wtf went wrong and where i'd have to pay. They "forgot" to file the paperwork to cover my summer classes.

They screwed up my friend's student loans... she had to drop one class and just about got screwed on her entire program.

Another friend's class sched got really screwed up..

I'm just not impressed.

I worked in EMS in Huntington and wow there are some INTERESTING creatures out there! lol
Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
NO!!! I mean a job in Huntington is fine.. (where are you going to work at if you don't mind me asking?)
But do NOT live in Huntington. VERY few places left that are worth a crap. You wouldn't think WV would be that bad about being ghetto but huntington is bad. At LEAST one shooting/stabbing a week. Having a major issue with people from MI moving down and dealing/moving drugs.

Now outside of Huntington is nice. Barboursville is very nice and quiet... Milton is a bit more country but still good.. on the other side you have kenova and ceredo which are small but quiet and cheap.
The job is a hybrid steel mill. Its going to be somewhere on the Ohio River with a major construction company that I just hired on with. Huntington isn't where the job is, its just the closest city i guess.

I appreciate the info! I was on city-data.com and you'd never think of anything that you said just going off statistics. Glad I posted to TW! I looked at Barboursville too and it looked pretty nice. But I could definitely do small and quiet like Kenova/Ceredo. Hard thing is trying to find a good place to rent in the area.

Just by looking at maps, it looks like there's some decent wheeling/hunting/fishing up there. True story or no?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
If you want a major f-ing headache go to Marshall.. otherwise WVU is where it's at!
I wasn't the only one with issues with MU. Seems they can't keep their student loans/grants in order. I was suppose to have a full grant... it came time to finish classes up and I get a thing in the mail stating I wouldn't "graduate" if I didn't pay $2,400 for my summer classes.. wtf?! THEN I had to call 3 million people to find out wtf went wrong and where i'd have to pay. They "forgot" to file the paperwork to cover my summer classes.

They screwed up my friend's student loans... she had to drop one class and just about got screwed on her entire program.

Another friend's class sched got really screwed up..

I'm just not impressed.

I worked in EMS in Huntington and wow there are some INTERESTING creatures out there! lol
Speaking of interesting creatures..something like 43% of their population is obese I hear?!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozeworm View Post
Definitely not opposed to commuting if it means no dealing with crime and low-lifes on a daily basis. Speaking of which, what are your gun laws like?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
Huntington is pretty horrible. Honestly I hate that town.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
if you're looking for a nice small town with low crime (other than high schoolers smoking pot) then go for Teays Valley, quiet not much going on ever. I lived there.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagtown Taco View Post
Speaking of interesting creatures..something like 43% of their population is obese I hear?!
Huntington was the fattest city in America a few years ago.. while I was working EMS... which is why I have back problems.. lol "Oh honey you're so little you can't lift me!" Ok.. then walk to the ambulance! "oh.. uh I can't do that now.." Ok then shut up and lay down... hah

Hurricane/teays Valley would be a good drive to Ohio.. at least 35-40 min. I'd stick to kenova/ceredo/b-ville. Look on craigslist huntington for rentals. It's normally cheaper out that way than here in putnam county where i'm at (I'm paying $800 a freakin' month for an itty bitty damn house. If I could find cheaper that would let me have my pets and not be a town house/apt i'd be there!!! Or if I could only find a room mate who is never home.. hah)

Gun laws are just like everywhere else. For your concealed you just take a class and pay for the class plus $75 for permit. Just have to keep that permit with you. As far as not concealing as long as it's visible.. although cops will take you out of the vehicle if they see it. Which is to be expected... But there are MANY out here with their concealed! I know.. I run backgrounds for them every damn week And that's just for putnam county...

Wheeling and fishing.. yes.. just have to find those who do it to show you the roads. I only know Lincoln county since that's where my ex was from.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...need-help.html

dis dude
Old 12-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
WVUStrick44 is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
WVUStrick44's Tacoma Gallery
WV is an awesome place to live but the Huntington area is the worst part of the state.....Stay away from Huntington.....I would recommend living closer to Charelston....Miles of woods and trails for riding, 4wheeling, and hunting....Good Luck and Welcome to Almost Heaven!!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
ACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of lightACBWV91 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Adam
ACBWV91's Tacoma Gallery
You make a move yet OP?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 AM   #15
Hollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud ofHollywood Ball has much to be proud of
Name: Steve
Hollywood Ball's Tacoma Gallery
Yep - Good advice from everyone here! I'm from Morgantown, originally. Huntington (and Marshall) suuuuucks.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Op,

I hate to say it, but everybody here is right. Huntington is the worst. I was there for 4 years. It was terrible. 29th street is aweful. Hal Greer is terrible.

30 min drive and you can literally be out by yourself in the country somewhere.

WV is awesome. But in huntington, everything is 45 mins away if you want wheelin and outdoor type stuff.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
Outsider is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Honorabally Discharged Staff Sergent
Name: Nick
Outsider's Tacoma Gallery
I know exactley the steel mill you are going to be working on....The engineering company that i used to do the work for, we did the site grading design/layout/stormwater design/etc...Huntington is a crap hole...move outside of town like everyone else said and you are good.