1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone LEED Certified?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by jdkeller, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 31, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller [OP] How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    When I was at my internship at a big General Contracting company in L.A. a few years back, they had all the Project Managers and the rest of the team studying for and trying to get LEED certified. I am about to graduate next year and will probably apply to a similar company and would like to stand out a bit from the rest of the folk by getting certified as well. Is it something anyone can do? How hard is it? I believe there are two levels, the associate an the AP correct? Just looking for some advice on where to start and get study material. I have three week winter break coming up and would like to get started then. Thanks for the help.

2. Oct 31, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You can't get LEED Certified, the buildings you construct get LEED Certified. The individual, like yourself, would be LEED Accredited. Sorry, but if you're going to have the letters after your name, you gotta know the difference.

We have several people in my company who are LEED Accredited and I'm next in line to sit for the test. I believe they provide you study materials, I could be mistaken about that. I hope you're good with remembering numbers and specific useless info (such as which LEED Credit a particular item falls under). IMO, it's a great thing to have this day and age but the whole LEED thing in general is a crock. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

Also, I believe they just changed how the test is taken. You now have to pick a particular area you want to be accredited in. It used to be just LEED AP, now you see LEED AP, BC+C for example.

3. Oct 31, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    LEED is a flawed system IMO .

4. Oct 31, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I concur.

5. Oct 31, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Very much so... but unfortunately a lot of corporations are bought in so if you're going to build for them, they look for LEEP AP's on your staff. There are also some incentives for building LEED Certified buildings in certain areas.

6. Oct 31, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    LEED certified/accredited same thing kind of? I see what You're saying though. These big contractors like to have as much staff accredited as possible because it looks good and helps them get the contract. I work for a general contractor doing residential right now part time. Finishing up my BSME. I plan to get my general license next summer as well.

7. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I think it is a great idea to be certified etc , but it is a whitewash akin to " green " building

8. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Like I said, if you're going to have the letters after your name, you should know what they mean. Only buildings are LEED Certified, the individual is LEED Accredited. When speaking, you should know the difference and use them the correct way. It sounds like something really stupid but if you're presenting to a potential client, you should use the correct terminology.

^^ This... Unless you have a reason to do it, I wouldn't waste your time with the actual exam. You can build a 'green building' without the intervention of the LEED people. The reason I'm going through it is we build for larger commercial clients who care very much about their image in the public eye and will therefore pay for their buildings to be LEED Certified. The Green Building stuff is good to know for general construction, but the industries that have made a business out of it I think are walking a fine line when it comes to ethics.

9. Oct 31, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I'm only doing it because all the buildings are 100M + jobs. A lot of them for the city. I worked with the GC that did the Pasadena City Hall Rehab, the Pasadena Convention Center, and the 1 Billion dollar LA live project. I wouldn't get accredited for residential stuff. Like I said. Just looking to stand out so I can get hired. I came here asking for help because obviously I know nothing about LEED right now. And of course I will learn the material.

10. Oct 31, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    TroutBum

TroutBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 AC 4x4 Sold, 17 Sport 6MT DCSB, 2020 OR DCSB
    Leer 100R
    LEED AP since 2007. Just finished my first round of credential maintenance. I pretty much feel like it's a waste of time and money, but don't feel like retaking the exam.

Mike

11. Oct 31, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    which specialty?

i'm still just a LEED Green Associate. i'm deciding which specialty to go towards. with my background (landscape architecture) i'm leaning towards neighborhood development but the economy is telling me noooooo

12. Nov 1, 2011 at 6:01 AM
    Outsider

Outsider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB Tacoma Off-road Cement AT
    I wanted an MT.
    I got the books, studied, my old job paid for me to take the exam, then laid me off, cancelled my test, and now i dont work in the engineering industry any longer. GO figure.

13. Nov 1, 2011 at 6:02 AM
    Outsider

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I wanted an MT.
    Landscape architecture!!! Me too....I work for the natural gas industry doing the permits for the Marcellus Shale Drilling sites now...If LEED is worthless, My B.S. Landscape Architecture is Super worthless, as i will never work with it again...ever...ever ever ever...puke.

14. Nov 1, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    WVU BSLA?

i'm a 2008 graduate, and where i work (full service engineering firm) we are HEAVY into the marcellus shale doing permitting and well site design etc...

15. Nov 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    TroutBum

TroutBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 AC 4x4 Sold, 17 Sport 6MT DCSB, 2020 OR DCSB
    Leer 100R
    BD+C. I work for a general contractor.

Mike

16. Nov 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    i've been thinking of switching to that specialty. it seems that is the majority of the LEED projects (at least from a LARCH/engineering standpoint). i've also read that it is probably the most to get that specialty.

17. Nov 2, 2011 at 4:07 AM
    Outsider

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I wanted an MT.
    I had a few classes with you! I graduated in 2009 wvu

18. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    :cheers:

19. Jul 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    So I graduated last December and work with an MEP firm. They will pay for my test. Looking to take the Associate test maybe sometime the year or beginning of next. What study material did those of you that passed use to prepare?

To Top