1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

engineering internship

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Zimaura, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    Zimaura

Zimaura [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nj
    San jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Double Cab. level Kit, 33 inch BFGs
    Level Kit, 16inch Moto Metals, 33 BFGs, Flowmaster, tinted taillights, silver billet grills
    Hello fellow Taco and Toyota owners,i am a third year mechanical engineering student at San Jose State University.
    I am starting this thread because i see lot of engieers and engineering students here, so lets talk about internship opportunities. Well i need one. As an engineering student it is important to network with other students as well as professionals in the same field.
    So for students, have you done your internship? If yes where and how did you find the opportunity?
    For the professionals, is the company you are working for hiring interns?
    If yes, would you please leave some info of it so that the students can explore them.
    I hope many people will participate in this thread, and hopefully many will benefit from it as well.
    Thank you guys in advance,
    Nj

Love and respect each other!
    :)

2. Nov 12, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    nj, looks like you are on the right track, as experience in the real world helps and will be good on your resume when you gradutate ;)

...you might try joining a couple professional societies - i.e. ASME, IEEE, AFCEA, ..etc.. many offer "junior" memberships, ..and probably have internship-finding netork... other opportunities might be found if you are in an honor society as well...

worth a try ;)

3. Nov 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    Zimaura

Zimaura [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nj
    San jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Double Cab. level Kit, 33 inch BFGs
    Level Kit, 16inch Moto Metals, 33 BFGs, Flowmaster, tinted taillights, silver billet grills
    Thanks, hehehe just joined SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). Not so much familiar with the program, but seems interesting so far. hopefull there will be more networking opportunities. heheh i guess everyone else is in different field or already set with their internships lol.

4. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    Nj, i think SAE is a good group to join! Should expose you to opportunities in the auto/SEMA industry... i don't know why i never joined as a junior SAE member when i was in school, ...i was thinking of going into automotive engineering, ...but never turned out that way...

5. Nov 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    getting an internship was the single best move of my life. it landed me a job when i graduated.

i'm a civil, so i would be of little help.

are you participating in things like the Mini Baja? i did when i was in school, (full civil team, with a ME team leader - came in 16th). i got a job offer at the last event. with Halliburton. i turned it down.
    also ZERO shame in turning to your professors. it you are a good student, ask them. mine got me several job interviews, and i landed my internship thru one.

6. Nov 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    hpvds

hpvds Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manie
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 4x4 Doublecab
    Ironman 4x4 FCP lift, ARB bumper, NL Dual bats, Skids and sliders
    The internships/co-ops i had def. taught me a lot and gave me a lot of insight in to what I would rather be doing... Between the 3 that I have completed i was in manufacturing, drafting and finally design and testing all with various divisions of GE Energy.

One piece of advice I can give is to make it easier to obtain one (especially if you have the time) go for a co-op. They are slightly easier to get since its a longer time commitment, and you get to the point where you know what needs to be done everyday on the job and start getting more real work/your own projects than you would as an intern.

Good luck on your search for an internship

7. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I am an M.E. in my junior year at Iowa State University, and I am taking this spring off for a co-op. I used the campus career website where companies post job opportunities for students to get my job. This is my second internship and I highly recommend them because I've learned way more than in any class.

To Top