1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

unemployment?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by stratton, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Nov 11, 2008 at 8:07 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Its getting real though in Mexico, Chihuahua City has a lot of American Factories, which are closing or laying off a lot of people, so people has no money or is not willing to spend... im in the construction business and this year has been very slow, not much work to do... its a sad panorama....

2. Nov 11, 2008 at 8:13 AM
    stratton

stratton [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well the good thing out of this whole mess is that when it is all over with and we are back on our feet, We all will be use to cutting back on luxury items. It will seem like we have extra money. I hope anyways.

3. Nov 11, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......

I think a whole lotta people hide the fact that they are broke and are living from paycheck to paycheck with massive debt. Lots have been hiding it for years and its finally catching up to them. Cant help but feel bad for people that have been living beyond their means.

4. Nov 11, 2008 at 8:45 AM
    stratton

stratton [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have to admit I am guilty of that. I dont have any high debt, But i should have been saving more. Instead I was buying to many toys. I really wish I had some money stashed on the side. I always figured that i could cash in some stocks if I need to. HAHA I look at my stocks now and just cry.

5. Dec 17, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I'm sorta guilty of that... But my debt comes from school loans (NEEDED to get a decent paying job around here), new truck (wanted something reliable for the family, no used vehicle I'd be dumping more money into fixing), and house.

We probably could've rented instead of buying the house, but it was a steal and renting is just pissing away money IMO. Can't make any improvements or sell it later to get the money back. Not to mention, we have 3 times the room, an acre of land, barn, and no neighbors I'm ready to kill for $100 more than the last apartment. :D

I wish I could've saved up money, but things kept happening. Car needed new cat ($360), heating oil/propane/gas prices shot waaaaay up, and we'll need to put a lot more money into the house to fix it up. Mostly to save money later in energy bills, but it'll also make it more valuable when we sell it. It was appraised at $95k a few years ago, we bought it for $47k, and it was recently assessed at $65k so I'm confident that we'll make money in the long run.

Then there's the whole job situation. Was fired from one job a year ago for no good reason (many of you know about that), took 6 months to find another one, and just recently switched again. Current job has better benefits, higher pay, better hours and more of a future for me (3 man company to a national corporation). Unfortunately, corporate office cut all sub contractor hours in half for December so I'm trying to get partial unemployment now. Seems like no matter how hard I work we never get ahead. Oh yeah, AND we found out the father of a girl my wife babysits got laid off so she won't be babysitting and making an extra $100/wk for us until he gets another job. :( Ironic part is he got laid off because the oil prices dropped. :rolleyes: Company he worked for makes coal stoves and demand dropped with the oil prices.

Some of you might be interested in www.mint.com though since we're talking money here. Free, online, syncs bank accounts, loans and credit cards to help track money and create a budget. Can email/SMS alerts for low bank balances, high credit balances, unusual spending and more. Even weekly summaries of all accounts added. I have 15 accounts in it now. :D Including mortgage, truck loan, student loans, credit cards, and bank accounts to give my wife and I an overall view of all our finances in one spot. :thumbsup:

6. Dec 17, 2008 at 6:51 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I'm guilty too......now paying the price.

7. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:26 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Been laid off for 2 months now. Still looking for work. Stuff I can do isn't hiring, and stuff that is hiring sees me as far too over qualified.

8. Dec 17, 2008 at 10:47 PM
    CheeseWithTaco

CheeseWithTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRun DubCab Lunar
    grrr...
    i havent worked in months now. ummm im not looking for work. i clicked on one of those "work at home" ad's and here i am... :D

PS: i didnt click those STUPID ad;s....

9. Dec 18, 2008 at 9:33 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been on medical EI since June, now my job has laid everyone off, not unusual for this time of year tho. Hopefully it will get busy again in the new year.

10. Dec 18, 2008 at 9:38 AM
    Mz_TazComa

Mz_TazComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 D-Cab TRD Sport LB
    <---out of work 6 1/2 months now.

The first 2-3 were good. It was the summer and I got to work on my tan and do alot of fishing and relaxing.

But now the severance stopped and unemployment only goes so far. It sucks and doesn't seem to be getting any better. :mad:

I even went to bartending school so I can make some xtra cash on the side. I'm hoping I find something full time after the holidays.

11. Dec 18, 2008 at 12:20 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    so far it has not affected me or anyone i know. the area i live in continues to grow despite the economy. we are getting new business's by the boat load.

12. Dec 18, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    Lucky!!! ^^^ I just got a phone call for work too! Hooray!!

13. Dec 18, 2008 at 1:11 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    i'm still waiting for my call. as of last friday i had the job, but they were supposed to call me monday. then tuesday, then wednesday. i called them this morning and still no word. i'm running out of fingernails to chew!

14. Dec 19, 2008 at 2:05 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    I didn't get the job. The place was going to hire four techs, ended up only hiring one. WTF? Even the guy from the headhunter shop is pissed, they drove all the way from Orlando up to here for nothing.

O well.

15. Dec 19, 2008 at 2:05 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Sorry to hear it.

16. Dec 19, 2008 at 2:10 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dang man....not the news I was hoping to hear......

With what you've been through, your determination is awesome, keep trying, it'll happen for ya...:)

17. Jan 5, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    The one remaining tech from the office I used to manage called me today. There was a young (22 I think) woman working there who's job it was to greet customers, write their machine complaints up, and collect the payment when they picked up.

She was VERY pregnant when I got laid off. Was due last Friday but didn't download, so they induced labor today.

This prick of a boss (1/2 owner) told her not to come back after having the baby.
    So she's got a 2 year old, a brand new baby, and a husband who works the counter at a gas station.

I thought I had it rough.

It's personal now, I want to put this bastard out of business. Any suggestions how? I've already taken about a half dozen machines from him doing them on the side. Going to do some serious advertising of the free type (self printed flyers, ads in the free paper). How else can I spread the word while being broke?

18. Jan 5, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    CheeseWithTaco

CheeseWithTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRun DubCab Lunar
    grrr...
    damn that some f-ed up ish right thurr. boss's like that, makes me hope i dont have to work this year. :mad:

19. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Lucy, can you get in with a local radio station? Maybe have them put a word out for ya?

20. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    That's a good idea, there's a "free access" station around here.

Gonna have to build a Web presence also. Already own FrontPage, may as well put it to use.

To Top