Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Financial Advisor?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Financial Advisor?

So I currently live in ATL with my wife who is in chiropractor school and will graduate in june 12. We plan on moving to the SLC UT area then. She has a job offer and plans on opening a dance studio. I currently work as a project manager and sales rep for a construction company. The past month or so I've been applying to jobs over there to land something before we move. I have been talking to someone looking to hire a Financial Advisor, I don't know a whole lot about the job, it's most likely comission based which sucks.

I don't really want to stay in my field. I hate sitting at a desk all day reading plans. Anyway just wondering if anyone knows anything about these jobs and if they are any good or not. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Depends who you work for, it can be really good or really shitty. Some companies just have people they call "financial advisors" cold calling and trying to sell insurance/financial products all day.

If you get a job with JPM Chase/Schwab/Scottrade/Fidelity or a reputable company like that, it will be a good position. However, every reputable position as a financial advisor I have applied for requires series 6/63 or 7/66 licenses and experience in the field.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly, you will be cold calling people and be expected to build your own client base, family, friends, etc. In my opinion if they say it is pretty much fully commission based I would stay away. One company that does this is American Express Financial advisors.

They will help you get your licenses but they won't help you gain clients.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
You all sum up my thoughts on it as well.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Taco_Time View Post
Depends who you work for, it can be really good or really shitty. Some companies just have people they call "financial advisors" cold calling and trying to sell insurance/financial products all day.

If you get a job with JPM Chase/Schwab/Scottrade/Fidelity or a reputable company like that, it will be a good position. However, every reputable position as a financial advisor I have applied for requires series 6/63 or 7/66 licenses and experience in the field.
Listen to this guy ^^^

I used to work for Chase and at one point entertained the idea of becoming a financial adviser. All the positions I looked for required certifications as a mandatory requirement.