1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Financial Advisor?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by sammy87, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    So I currently live in ATL with my wife who is in chiropractor school and will graduate in june 12. We plan on moving to the SLC UT area then. She has a job offer and plans on opening a dance studio. I currently work as a project manager and sales rep for a construction company. The past month or so I've been applying to jobs over there to land something before we move. I have been talking to someone looking to hire a Financial Advisor, I don't know a whole lot about the job, it's most likely comission based which sucks.

I don't really want to stay in my field. I hate sitting at a desk all day reading plans. Anyway just wondering if anyone knows anything about these jobs and if they are any good or not. Thanks!

2. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    Its_Taco_Time

Its_Taco_Time Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    CST spindles, Magnaflow, TRD intake
    Depends who you work for, it can be really good or really shitty. Some companies just have people they call "financial advisors" cold calling and trying to sell insurance/financial products all day.

If you get a job with JPM Chase/Schwab/Scottrade/Fidelity or a reputable company like that, it will be a good position. However, every reputable position as a financial advisor I have applied for requires series 6/63 or 7/66 licenses and experience in the field.

3. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Any "financial advisor" position that would hire someone just looking for something new would be suspect to me unless they are talking about a large training program before you start working.

4. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    bgsmith

bgsmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ATX Mojaves with 265/75 16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover, Rockford Fosgate Punch Speakers.
    Exactly, you will be cold calling people and be expected to build your own client base, family, friends, etc. In my opinion if they say it is pretty much fully commission based I would stay away. One company that does this is American Express Financial advisors.

They will help you get your licenses but they won't help you gain clients.

5. Nov 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    You all sum up my thoughts on it as well.

6. Nov 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Y u dubble quote me? :facepalm:

7. Nov 13, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Listen to this guy ^^^

I used to work for Chase and at one point entertained the idea of becoming a financial adviser. All the positions I looked for required certifications as a mandatory requirement.

To Top