Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Anyone good with resume's?

Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone good with resume's?

My dad got laid off and asked if I could help him get a resume done, he's got all his job history down but building a good looking resume, im clueless. Anyone good with making them and feel like helping my dad out?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
are you asking about how to make them, or what should be in them/how to word them? and the resume is important, but the interview is where it matters.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
there are probably better sites, but I just went to a lecture on this and we had to make our own resume. There are plenty of good examples on here if you click on whatever college is related to your dads work.

http://www.careerservices.calpoly.ed.../sample-resume
Old 11-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Does he have a "format" down?..

might go w/ something like this (in a non-literal way):

-------------------------------

<Name>
<Address>
<Contact Info>

Professional Summary
<here you write down a paragraph about what you've worked on, and here you can "tweak" it to highlight things pertinent to the industry/trade/etc you are going after...>

Education/Training
<here list, in chronological order, beginning w/ highest degree/training attained...>

2001. Bachelors in Everything. School of Thought. 3.0 GPA.

2006. Mgmt Training Course 101, 102. Corporate Skills College.

Experience
<here list in chronological order, list the date range you worked there, the company name, and your "title/position">

Apr 2005-present. Company XYZ, Head Hancho.
<list normal duties performed>
<then, list highlights of accomplishments/awards>

July 2001-Apr 2005. Company ABC, Low man on totem pole.
<list normal duties performed>
<then, list highlights of accomplishments/awards>

Skills/Credentials
- Microsoft sucks 2010, computer aided design, ...etc.
- Circuit prototyping, TIG welding, etc...

Associations/Awards
- Best Damn Worker, 2009.
- American Society of Overachievers.

---------------------------------------------------------

Now, the key is figure out the format, and then make sure you are "consistent" w/ your punctuation, capitalization of words, use of phrases, indentation, use of bullet marks, etc. Be "consistent"!!!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
are you asking about how to make them, or what should be in them/how to word them? and the resume is important, but the interview is where it matters.
Yes and no. Interview is obviously important. But without a good cover letter and resume you won't even get the interview. They're really equally important. First part gets you in the door, then you have to seal the deal at the interview.

x2 on the above statement about format. All the experience in the world doesn't do you much if it isn't laid out and looks like crap.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Yes and no. Interview is obviously important. But without a good cover letter and resume you won't even get the interview. They're really equally important. First part gets you in the door, then you have to seal the deal at the interview.
X2
Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post

x2 on the above statement about format. All the experience in the world doesn't do you much if it isn't laid out and looks like crap.
oh yeah i totally feel you dude. and thats cool for you to work on it for your dad. the book "how to win friends and influence people" is a sociological masterpiece and a time tested book. the most important thing i learned from it (read it for a class a few years ago) was simply "people love to talk about themselves". i know your pops will mainly be the one being asked the questions, but that's always something i keep in my head when i meet new people and try to make good impressions. . . i'll try to find the website i used to make a resume one time. most importantly, honesty is key of course.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
^^ I no longer have a PreRunner
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
99PreRunner.'s Tacoma Gallery
The key for a great resume is to make it have eye appeal, easy to read format, a great header, etc.. AND MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS SPELLED CORRECTLY!! And DO NOT use regular paper (20# 88 bright copy paper). Any office supply store will have a great selection of paper, they actual have "resume" paper. 32# 96 bright laserjet paper would be nice. There are plenty of websites that show proper format... Also places like Office Max can make resumes for you (the Impress department).
Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
finishing up a career development class and although the resume is important, the cover letter is also very important for the specific job hes gonna apply for
Old 11-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
^^ I no longer have a PreRunner
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
99PreRunner.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayNnite4 View Post
finishing up a career development class and although the resume is important, the cover letter is also very important for the specific job hes gonna apply for
x2 forgot to add that as well.. I think it's funny how a lot of people think that resumes do not matter that much as long as they do well in the interview. BUT YOU HAVE TO GET THE INTERVIEW FIRST