1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about going to Vet school

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by tex41, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    tex41

tex41 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2002 Xtra cab 4x4 TRD
    Lift, tires, toolbox, Alpine H/U, Borla exhaust. Still looking it over to get specifics.
    Well, I've done my time in the military and my date to being a civilian again is approaching fast. I joined the military, because I was tired of going to school just to go, and changed majors about 6 times :(. I've enjoyed my time in service, but it's time for me to move on. So, I've been looking at schools and career fields. I'm looking into going to Texas A&M (WHOOP!) finishing my Bachelors (about 1 year left) and then applying to Vet School. Still trying to weed through all the specialties, but I'm wanting to do large/food animal medicine and surgery on the local farms and ranches. Anybody here a vet? Or have any insight/advice? :cool:

pics are encouraged :D

2. Nov 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Good friend of mine was a prof at A&M. Is a vet and master in agronmy (spelling?). Anywhot, he's now a (research) prof at another university dealing with agronmy.

Another good friend wanted to be a vet (and she's smart as shit) and couldn't get in...believe it or not she did qualify to be a doctor (which she ended up being).

Sounds tough and from what I hear does not pay as well as other multi year degrees.

3. Nov 21, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    LilTuffGirl

LilTuffGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    3" rough country lift leather
    Yea it's a lot of schooling for not always a heck of a lot of money.

Have you worked in the animal hospital/clinic setting?

When I was younger I wanted to go the vet route but was totally tired of school by the time I was out of high school. I became a vet tech later in life and am VERY happy I didn't go to school to become a vet!!!!!

I worked EMS and it wasn't even CLOSE to being as hard as a vet tech. But I feel a LOT of compassion for animals. Watching a grown man cry as the vet put his long time friend/companion/dog down KILLED me! I don't cry easily but that made me do so :( I had to walk out of the room. And when dogs came in shot it pissed me off like no other. Or dumb people who breed dogs after being told they shouldn't and the dog has to be put down and puppies die as well.
    Oh and putting down animals because the owner can't afford treatment blows too. Just the way the animal looks at you before hand .. yea...

4. Nov 22, 2011 at 1:32 AM
    R o C C o 5 7

R o C C o 5 7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    Pro Comp 6" lift.Icon Coilovers,Total Chaos UCAs,Magna Flow muffler,N Fab step bars,front windows titnt
    At one time I was also looking into becoming a Vet for my love for dogs.But when I found out that I would have to work on chickens,snakes maybe even a frog or two,I said forget this deal.Don't get me wrong,I like all kinds of animals,but I was going in it mostly for dogs.And as far as watching a grown man cry;My last dog lived for 15 yrs,brought me to my knees when I had to put him down.Anyways,good luck to you and a BIG THANK YOU for your service in our armed forces!!!

5. Nov 22, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    tex41

tex41 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2002 Xtra cab 4x4 TRD
    Lift, tires, toolbox, Alpine H/U, Borla exhaust. Still looking it over to get specifics.

:thumbsup: Hey thanks Frank, my pleasure!

Yea, I've been looking at this for awhile. My "girlfriend" is a vet tech, at a 24 hour emergency clinic. So I've been talking to her a lot and asking questions. I dont want to go into small/pet animal practice, because honestly... most people are dumb when it comes to the care for their pets. I'm looking into large/food animal medicine. I'm from Texas, and it looks like there's a pretty big need for farm animal vets. There's only a few, and spread waaaay too thin. Money's not great, but I think I would enjoy the work, and Texas is cheaper as far as cost of living :thumbsup:

Any other thoughts?

6. Nov 22, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    R o C C o 5 7

R o C C o 5 7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    Pro Comp 6" lift.Icon Coilovers,Total Chaos UCAs,Magna Flow muffler,N Fab step bars,front windows titnt
    That's what I hear about the cost of living in TX.In a previous post I write about my neighbor selling his house for $685thou...bought a huge house in TX for $280thou...cash.Can't remember who it was that said "If you love what you do for a living,you will never work a day in your life" I'm sure the animals would love you for it.What about your girl,How does she feel about TX?

7. Nov 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Certainly there is a need for large animal vets. No, the financial return is normally not as great as a human doctor and in many ways you have to be smarter to work on animals, animals don't talk. Around here, most vets partner up so they can have an "Off" weekend and they also will often treat small animals for the love of animals and the additional income in the practice. If you have not done so as yet, read the "James Herriot" stories about the English country vet in Pre-World War II.

Before undertaking the schooling, know in your heart that this is something you want to do. Best wishes.

8. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    GIG'EM!! and thank you for your sevice.

9. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    thank you for you’r service man! and i know the university of Tennessee at Knoxville has a really good yet school. i know this because i’m like 25/30 min from the school. lol

10. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    my advice, is go for an animal concentration and have a fallback plan for vet school. My college, NC State is jammed pack with animal science majors. the NC vet school takes 90 students a year. in my freshman intro class deal for my major there were 75 students "planning" to go to vet school. and that was just my class. there were 2 others that semester. and 3 more the next semester...and that's just my college. there are 4 more in NC with animal science majors. so like 1200 people all going for a 90 person slot. yikes!! . . . that being said, i know tons of people that did an animal science concentration after not getting into vet school and did well with themselves. . . . . . . . . amongst all that rambling, i guess im just saying have a fall back plan. good luck dude.

To Top