Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any P&C engineers on TW?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a specialty field?.. what does a P&C engineer typically entail?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
sounds like a specialty field?.. what does a P&C engineer typically entail?
In my case, it's a job typically found within electrical power utility companies. We commission and maintain equipment that keeps the power system components (lines, transformers, remotely-controlled switches, telecom equipment and the like) working away.

When these components do fail, "protections" operate to disconnect the faulted equipment from the rest of the grid. No-one likes to see a live conductor from an overhead distribution line, flopping around on the ground, spitting and sparking away! "Protections" could include simple fuses or more complicated circuit breakers with electronic "brains."

I'm sure specific tasks vary from person-to-person, but our goal is the same - make sure that people/equipment are protected from faulted power system components, while keep the power system stable and ultimately: keep the lights on.

I love it.

Of course, there are many other people involved - linemen/women, operators, mechanics... but our protections take over when someone runs into an HV tower and that 230 kV transmission line hits the ground
Old 11-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
sounds pretty cool! i'll be a lot of people have no clue what goes into these huge power distribution networks/systems! ...but as you say, the technology and engineering that goes into them should be much appreciated
Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
johnanm will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Pilot
johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
Is this a degree (i.e. actual Engineering) position or just another technical job with engineer in the title? Lots of those popping up these days
Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
so are you saying you could have prevented our huge so cal blackout this summer?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
nobackhair is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
nobackhair's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
so are you saying you could have prevented our huge so cal blackout this summer?

That was good. Don Rickles saw a man in the audience and asked him what he did for a living? He replied, "Custodial Engineer." (Janitor)
Old 11-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #9

johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
We commission and maintain equipment...
Commission and maintain sounds exactly like a technician's responsibility to me

Quote:
Of course, there are many other people involved - linemen/women, operators, mechanics...
Forgot to mention the actual EEs who design and oversee the whole shebang.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 AM   #10
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Any P&C engineers on TW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanm View Post
Is this a degree (i.e. actual Engineering) position or just another technical job with engineer in the title? Lots of those popping up these days

Yes, it's a degree position. I have a four year Bachelor of Engineering degree. Others have the same or a Bachelor of Science degree, also four years.

In Canada, it's illegal to use the term engineer unless you have a license to practice professional engineering. So it's not just another technical job with engineer in the title.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:47 AM   #11

Any P&C engineers on TW?

Quote:
Commission and maintain sounds exactly like a technician's responsibility to me

Forgot to mention the actual EEs who design and oversee the whole shebang.
We have technologists and engineers working side by side. Historically engineers would provide the technologist/technician with designs to implement. We are field P&C Engineers.

Major design work is done at head office. Our office implements the design and makes changes to the original design based on what we find wrong. We have "actual electrical engineers" in the field.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #12

johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, it's a degree position. I have a four year Bachelor of Engineering degree. Others have the same or a Bachelor of Science degree, also four years.

In Canada, it's illegal to use the term engineer unless you have a license to practice professional engineering. So it's not just another technical job with engineer in the title.
Gotcha, not trying to condemn or anything, but it's really become an epidemic down here.

My father worked 30+ as a EE in substations and line design, so he handled a lot of the same stuff you do. Great position for those who love being outdoors part of the time! Lot of truck owners in the electrical business
Old 11-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Gotcha, not trying to condemn or anything, but it's really become an epidemic down here.

My father worked 30+ as a EE in substations and line design, so he handled a lot of the same stuff you do. Great position for those who love being outdoors part of the time! Lot of truck owners in the electrical business
No problems! I know what you mean. I was born and raised in the UK and the mis-use/over-use of the title is bad there too. I even have a neighbour here in Ontario that uses the title incorrectly!

Yeah I'm fortunate enough to have one of those indoor/outdoor jobs. Rain or shine, snow... I don't care! Just as long as I have a tarp