1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Don't know what to do!!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by futuretacoowner, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Nov 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    alright guys and gals here's the deal, I am trying to choose a new career path. I currently have a diploma in hospitality and tourism management specialized in culinary. This also gives me 2 years credit to get my degree in HTM at a few universities. my past employment was usually in kitchens though I was also a snowboard instructor and coach while in High school (still my highest paying job). I have 3 ideas I am looking at for careers. The first is to continue on with HTM and hope to eventually run Ski resorts or hotels. the second is to join the Coast guard and become a navigations officer, another 2 years of college but they are paid by the Canadian coast guard. The last is become either a flight medic or a flight nurse. 3 very different career paths,what are your opinions?

2. Nov 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    What is your passion? Enjoying something is great, but being truly passionate about something is completely different.

Fink

3. Nov 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    x2

4. Nov 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    Sport11

Sport11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Ram 1500
    The flight nurse/medic option takes a long time. Nursing school 2-4 years (Medic school 2 years). Most flight services require 5 years experience as a nurse (3 years in ER or ICU) before they will consider you. So, you are looking at a minimum of 6-7 years to be a flight nurse. I am just starting with my second Med-Evac service.

If you really like HTM then I would say to stick with that.

There is a lot of burnout in healthcare, so if you are not 100% sure that you want to become a nurse/medic, then don't do it. You will be unhappy while you are waiting for a job as a flight nurse and there is never a guarantee that you would get that job.

5. Nov 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    It's tough to decide what to do for the rest of your life - I know - been there, done that. However, you will be the only one who can make that decision, since only you know what you like (or are passionate about, as mentioned above). Keep in mind that some careers are only dreams - if there are a lot of people fighting for the same job and only so many opportunities available, then you might never be able to get that dream job. This could apply to all the options you have mentioned - not all HTM graduates will end up working in a ski resort, not all nurses who want to be in flight end up there. I am not saying that it won't happen, but you have to be realistic about it; make sure that if your dream does not work out the way you wanted it, you will still be able to enjoy the alternative, i.e. working in HTM but not at a ski resort, or being a nurse in a hospital or EMT instead of flight. That can change your decision drastically. The Coast Guard almost sounds like the most definate option that will work out the way you want it. Question is just, what are you willing to accept as alternatives to your dream jobs in the same field, but not quite there.
    Good luck!

6. Nov 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    The idea of becoming a flight nurse came with being on the scene of a couple of emergencies, I didn't like that an emergency happen but was glad I was on scene and able to help. That led me to joining the Canadian Ski Patrol System, and I love it, and want to go even further. Put my love of helping people in emergencies and my fascination of flight together and I figured that was the outcome. When I was younger I wanted to be in the pilots seat of a coast guard helicopter. Navigations Officer would be may way onto a ships bridge. I have a strong fascination with ships. I also love things like SAR though I am not implicated with the local SAR for a few reasons. These are the options I am considering.

To Top