Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

About to start Fire Academy

Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
About to start Fire Academy

My dad has been a firefighter for over 25 years now and is Deputy Chief here in our home town. I am 27 and just finished my EMT Basic class and am about to attend Fire Academy to get my EMT I, Firefighter 1, 2, Wildland, Hasmat, and so on. I am really excited to go through this academy and Join a brotherhood. I have been married for a couple of years now and we have an 11month old boy.

What are some better paying areas for Firefighters around the U.S.? Any tips while I'm in the academy, other than work my ass off and study like theirs no tomorrow? Thanks!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJump View Post
My dad has been a firefighter for over 25 years now and is Deputy Chief here in our home town. I am 27 and just finished my EMT Basic class and am about to attend Fire Academy to get my EMT I, Firefighter 1, 2, Wildland, Hasmat, and so on. I am really excited to go through this academy and Join a brotherhood. I have been married for a couple of years now and we have an 11month old boy.

What are some better paying areas for Firefighters around the U.S.? Any tips while I'm in the academy, other than work my ass off and study like theirs no tomorrow? Thanks!
California has some VERY HIGH PAID FFs. Orange County, LA city, Frisco area..
You can start your academy without EMT I first? I did the entire Paramedic program, Academy, then volunteer FF, now I am a mechanic/ fabricator, where did I go wrong, lol..FML.

Do it and you will be glad you did, trust me.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
TacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud of
TacoSurf4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Best of Luck Buddy... Every FF I know loves their job!
Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
You can start your academy without EMT I first? I did the entire Paramedic program, Academy, then volunteer FF, now I am a mechanic/ fabricator, where did I go wrong, lol..FML.

Do it and you will be glad you did, trust me.
Thanks, I think I will be happy with the result once I am done

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSurf4x4 View Post
Best of Luck Buddy... Every FF I know loves their job!
Yeah same here, my dad does. I just hope I can find an area that pays what Firefighters are worth you know. Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
BaNgArAnG
06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Caleb
06TACOFIREMAN's Tacoma Gallery
im a probie myself! got out of the academy in august and this is the best job in the world! we need a firefighter thread on TW
Old 12-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck, stay safe and have fun.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #8

Anyone have any pointers on the EMT B National registry aside from the obvious read my book, do the workbook etc. haha maybe answered my own question. Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
practice your pt assessment for trauma and medical. the random skills are easy.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
next on my list is emt..I gotta join a squad first tho..Damnit
Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomery_30824 View Post
practice your pt assessment for trauma and medical. the random skills are easy.
I have been hitting those hard. Thanks for the input
Old 01-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJump View Post
Anyone have any pointers on the EMT B National registry aside from the obvious read my book, do the workbook etc. haha maybe answered my own question. Thanks
Read the question carefully and go with your gut answer, take the practice tests online, and if your instructors are like mine don't listen to what they say about 'proper' timeframe for being done. We had people pass after 45 minutes and after 2 hours.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Read the question carefully and go with your gut answer, take the practice tests online, and if your instructors are like mine don't listen to what they say about 'proper' timeframe for being done. We had people pass after 45 minutes and after 2 hours.
Thanks man, I take it friday. I have taken a ton of practice NREMT exams and am doing very well on them. I feel confident about it, you either know it or you don't I think. Wish me luck, prayers, crossed fingers whatever!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #14

I passed my NREMT!!!! stopped me at 70 questions so I did pretty well! Super pumped!!!! Now ready to start Firefighter 1, 2. Wildland etc. Extrication! Then on to find a Job.....