1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

College soon...

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Forster46, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 [OP] Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    So I am eighteen, and I will be graduating high school this year, and I honestly have no idea what I want to do after high school. I am not one of those kids who just plans to live off his parents and find a job and do nothing. I worked for my grades and I just am not as smart as others. I don't have the grades to get into a nice university like WSU or CWU (WA), nor the foreign language requirements.... failed.

I am currently a volunteer firefighter and have been for almost four years. I have not gone through the academy yet, but I do respond to all calls and do everything everyone else does, (besides working with patients as an EMT). I could persue this as my career and try to find a job with this, but I am not sure if I wanna to do that forever.

Sorry to dump this on TW for people who could probably give two shits. But I am honestly just looking for suggestions at this point.

Right now I am thinking Community College, Trade School, or military.

So basically, if anyone wants to throw up suggestions of jobs you are involved with, or have done in the past, and how you liked it?

I am a very horrible decision maker, otherwise I would have something by now.

Thanks guys for any input you may throw in, it really helps.

2. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    man i was in ur same position.... u gotta just go with what ur interests are. go to school for something your passionate about not something u think will make alot of money.... money will come eventually. the way i look at it........IF U DONT LIKE IT NOW U DEF. WONT LIKE IT WHEN ITS A JOB.... plus dont have it in ur mind that once u pick a career, ur stuck there. not true. i plan on going back to school and broaden my horizons.... my bad about spelling i know ill get shit lol

3. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    Do Community College and the Reserves.

4. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    ACBWV91

ACBWV91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Charleston/Motown WV
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4
    I am in the middle of my third year at WVU and its a good life experience but I am like you and have to work harder than most others to get my shit straight.... but you sound like you really dont want to do the whole school thing. I think this may be the best option for a stable future but you have to pick something that you can find a job with. Dont go and do some sports management and pay money to go to school and get out and not be able to find a job...

Looking back I prob would've done the military thing. I could potentially hate it but the whole not college thing looks pretty good.

I had a few buddies go to a trade school into a welding thing and dont think any of them have held a stable job with welding. I may be completely off base but i feel as though if you do a trade school thing you would be set up to be on stretches of unemployment from time to time so i dont think i would do that....

My pick is a college or military/air force.

5. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Thanks for the input guys!

6. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    rhion82

rhion82 El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    TN/GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco
    Best way to start off is by going to a Community College. I was in the same shoes you are in (well kinda still am). I've changed my majors two times so far but think I found something finally that I'm gonna stick with (Business). Still got two or three years left of school.

7. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    i'd say start out at college, cant go wrong starting there.

i have not changed my major once, love it.
    (business)

8. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    You'll never regret having a college degree. Ever.

Though if you know that higher education isn't for you, DONT waste your time or money. College expenses rack up quick, but are worth it in the end. The last thing you want to do is get loans for school and take classes that you don't like and end up leaving with with debt and no degree.

9. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    I have been in FBLA at school for four years, and competed at state the last three so far. ( Future Business Leaders of America)

Idk if you guys have heard of it, but I have been thinking about going in for business, then for drafting. I would like to get into my dads business and one day take over for him, but I dont want to be one of those kids who relies on his parents to get by in life. He owns a welding and fabricationg business in Redmond, WA. He specializes in building bridges and parts for ferry terminals and other structural jobs.

10. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    rhion82

rhion82 El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    TN/GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco
    Yeah I was in FBLA too (sports management). But taking over the family business is not relying on them to get by in life. If I had a son and owned my own business I would actually expect him to take it over one day. But to each is their own.

11. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Well there's your answer then! Taking over your parents business isn't "mooching" off of them; it would be a continuation of your father's interests/ideals.

12. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Well there's your answer then! Taking over your parents business isn't "mooching" off of them; it would be a continuation of your father's interests/ideals.

13. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    MMazz365

MMazz365 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    -flowmaster dual side exit exhaust -3 inch lift -cb radio -scanner -DTRL's -Fogs Anytime -Truxedo Soft Tonnahu Cover -eyelids -grillcraft upper and lower -fogs behind the grill
    Honestly bud, you sound just like me. I am just finishing my first semester in college next week. I was a vol fire and vol ems all through high school. You are best off going to college and figuring it out there. I am not good in school either but many schools with accept you. if anything, save money and go to community college. I am waiting for the FDNY and NYPD test to come up so i can take them. alot of schools have ems and the local fd. I am joining both here. so honestly go away to college, bec its the best choice. I am also looking into joining the national guard but id wait till i graduate college bec you always need a degree afterwards.

14. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    Im in your same position man. I've been thinking about joining the Marines tradition in my household, but i've decided this: ive always wanted to be a firefighter. I filled out local scholarship forms for the closest university (Florida Atlantic University). And if i dont make it..so what? i'll go for a community or state college. Im hoping everything will fall into place because... im slackin off my senior year

15. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Do you know what you want to major in? You can go in undeclared, take a couple of classes to broaden your horizons, and pick a major that interests you.

Trade jobs can pay just as good or even more so than jobs with a college degree. You'll get into the work force quicker and be earning cash faster. Electricians, plumbers, mechanics, specialty fields are in demand.

16. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Not only would it be really cool to continue the family business that he and his brother started, but.... i would make bank, which I don't have a problem with. I worked there almost everyday all summer, and everyday during school breaks, busting my ass trying to make enough money to buy little things for my truck and have the money to get around.

The coolest thing would be to run that company one day.

17. Dec 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind :p
    talk to your folks, see what you need to be successful and go for it!

My dads pushed me to take over his private practice for years...but im not smart enough. Haaaaaaaaaa

18. Dec 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    hahaha yeah I could never get into anything like that, brains are waaay below standard lol

19. Dec 6, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    azntha1one

azntha1one Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner
    A few
    go the college. through your GE requirements you may find something that interests you and you may want to pursue. if your not sure about the military, considering getting a degree first so you can become an officer going in. not a lot of people get to live the college life.

20. Dec 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    OP, sounds like you could use an intent to become more involved in the family business to craft your next moves... i.e. maybe start w/ community college, and get a degree that compliments the tradecraft of your dad's company... keeping a family business in the hands of the family seems cool to me, ...but you need to demonstrate you have met certain credentials, and earn your way into it ;)

To Top