Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any linesman here?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
.... The pulling machine?
lol no!

this thang...

get it moving fast and you could lift ur feet sometimes and glide a ways....
Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #22
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
lol no!

this thang...

get it moving fast and you could lift ur feet sometimes and glide a ways....
Oh.. Screw that thing.. That's for telco shit.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #23
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Oh.. Screw that thing.. That's for telco shit.
yea...when I said cable...I meant it no school....just get out there n werk.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #24
txtaco409 is on a distinguished road
txtaco409's Tacoma Gallery
Can't write much now but I've been in line work for a lil over 10 years now. All I can say for the OP is to tell your boy to go to the local union hall and talk to them if he wants to make good money.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #25
TRD Daddy is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Daddy is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Daddy is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Daddy is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Daddy is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Daddy is a glorious beacon of light

TRD Daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I am a lineman for Alabama power and it is a very rewarding job with great pay . Would be a great career choice for your son if he isn't affraid of heights. LOL
Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #26
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
I have a few friends that are linesmen out here in Orange County, Ca. Work for Edison, learned on the the job. Edison took care of the training, as they progressed in the program. They make good money 75k plus.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #27
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=JLink;4373202]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SuperwhiteTRD View Post

its not just 2 years and a test. Its 2 years of lots of tests, then if you graduate and get hired there are 4 more years of apprenticeship where you have lots of tests to take and more training programs to go through. union dues are like $20-$30 a week I think.. but thats nothing compared to what the government takes in taxes!

Overtime is very common in some companies, unfortunately not in mine. We only get overtime when something is really messed up. Usually only during/after big storms. The more seniority you have the more often you get overtime. For example, if there was a car pole accident last night, they would call people in order of their seniority.. meaning I would never get a call.

I would look into the program and make sure you understand everything that it requires. My program was supposed to be 5 years, now its 6. I'm happy to have a solid job, but 6 years is a long time to be stuck in one place.
the program i am looking at is with the local ibew. i called them to get info and to make sure they were approved by the VA so i can use the gi bill and they are(verified with va) so that is good. i checked their pay scale and the rate they said a journeymen makes in Portland and it is correct. they say that the program is a normal 8000 hour program and can be completed in as little as 3.5 years but most do it in 4(and unlike some other programs i was looking at they guarentee a 40 hr week with possibility of overtime and travel). i am trying to get them to give me some credited hours since i have been an Aviation Electrician for the last 9 years but its not guarenteed. I cant wait to be stuck in ONE place since i have moved all over the country and deployed all over the world for so long... and i dont know what i would do with all my free time if i didnt work 60+ hours a week lol.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #28
gonna be a long ride
09sr5 is on a distinguished road

09sr5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtaco409 View Post
Can't write much now but I've been in line work for a lil over 10 years now. All I can say for the OP is to tell your boy to go to the local union hall and talk to them if he wants to make good money.
i know this is old, but..
x2 if he wants a rewarding career with great training.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #29
Even Firemen Need Heroes...
ClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
ClemsonMGM's Tacoma Gallery
im a lineman for a co-op here in sc. We are on a rotation for being on call, and we can usually get 20-25 hours overtime a paycheck(2 weeks). If he likes hard work, when the weather is at its worst, long hours (sometimes 20-30 hours at a time), and having to leave your family to go help other power suppliers, then he should go through with trying to be a lineman. As far as education, our co-op uses the Northwest Lineman Program as a good base to start apprentice lineman. Also they send us to a school each year with other lineman from other co-ops around the state for a week for even more hands on training.

Dont let me talk him out of it. Its really a very rewarding job if you like helping people and working with your hands. I enjoy it, and I think I make good money for a 26 year old with no college degree.

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to hear what he ended up doing...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i met a PG&E supervisor. we run into them all the time with my job.

this supervisor said PG&E is actively looking to fill positions. i am not a union guy, so i may mess up the lingo..but apparently they will sponsor a newb thru the system (whatever that means).

i tried to turn a friend onto the job, but my loser buddy never called.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #31
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
so i am getting out of the marine corps in about 5 months and am still planning on applying for the apprenticeship program back home. question is i am trying to find things to make me more qualified to score higher in the interview. they say that having your flagger cert., cpr qual, and cdl class a or b with air brakes will give you a better chance of getting called sooner. i am planning on having all of that by the time i get out or interview time. but does anyone that has done this before think it would be better to take a heavy equipment operators course or a crane driver course to go above basic requirements? both basic classes are 4 weeks long offered at the same place and both covered by gi bill. but i won't have time to do both before the interview. if anyone has any other suggestions that would be good to. thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #32
ClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
cdl class a is a big plus.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #33
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonMGM View Post
Yep. It sucks having it but atleast it would help me find a job if I had too
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #34

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonMGM View Post
thanks. i am reading the manual now and taking the permit test in march when i go home for a couple weeks. then going to use TA to do a truck driver class. i figure the cdl could help with a couple different jobs while waiting to get indentured. anything else i should try and get done?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #35
Quote:
thanks. i am reading the manual now and taking the permit test in march when i go home for a couple weeks. then going to use TA to do a truck driver class. i figure the cdl could help with a couple different jobs while waiting to get indentured. anything else i should try and get done?
none that i can think of. just prepare yourself for the job. its definitely not your typical 9 to 5...
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #36

Marines:
thanks.. oh and as for 9 to 5 i am not worried about that...as a matter of fact it will be nice to get paid for overtime instead of just working 60 plus hours a week for the same pay. i already finished the math class that i needed since i didn't have the required amount of algebra in high school.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #37
Quote:
thanks.. oh and as for 9 to 5 i am not worried about that...as a matter of fact it will be nice to get paid for overtime instead of just working 60 plus hours a week for the same pay. i already finished the math class that i needed since i didn't have the required amount of algebra in high school.
I had 39 hours OT on this last check...
Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #38

Marines:
damn thats a lot of OT. must make for some nice pay checks.