LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any linesman here?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Any linesman here?

My son is 15 and I'm thinking of career options of something he may like to do. There is a junior college near by that has linesman courses to earn a degree or certificate for it not sure which. I hear its a pretty good program and lots of companies hire from there nation wide. Other than the job being high risk, working with high power electrical lines and paying pretty good I know nothing of the job. If any of you are a linesman or know someone that is care to share your experiences Id like to hear them.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not, but it was part of my training in school for the air force and I liked doing it. I know a couple linemen and they work a lot, but make good money. Good job in my opinion.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
SmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmEYELey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
SmEYELey's Tacoma Gallery
Good money. He just has to be willing to travel. And sometimes waitimg for jobs
Old 12-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a lineman, per say but where I'm at I do line work all the time.
Can be dangerous at times working with voltages like 480, 2300, 4160, 13.8kv, 69kv, so on.. But there are lots of safety precautions and procedures to ensure safety like, using an insulated bucket truck, using a ground to ground the truck if the line faults, lots of paperwork. Personally I don't like doing it here in Houston mainly because 9 months out of the year it's hot as hell. Anywhere else however, I wouldn't mind, pays good, learn a lot, people are friendly. I can answer more questions if you have any.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My girlfriends stepdad is a lineman. He makes good money. But the best thing to account for is that many of these lineman/skilled jobs are done by the "babyboomers". So with alot of them starting to retire this decade, Demand for these skilled workers will be high and job security could be established.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a lineman and I'd appreciate it if you don't call us "linesmen".

We only work one line at a time lol.

I recommend it and if he loves being outside its the best job in the world. I actually am planning on moving out your way and hopefully working up near Denver or something. Gotta get out of jersey lol.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
recently after the april 27th 2011 tornados that destroyed parts of the south east. lineman from all over the country were here. when there is a disaster just think of the money your son could be making. getting paid to work 80+ hours a week. talk about bank 1500-2500 dollar checks a week. and im not joking.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLift37 View Post
recently after the april 27th 2011 tornados that destroyed parts of the south east. lineman from all over the country were here. when there is a disaster just think of the money your son could be making. getting paid to work 80+ hours a week. talk about bank 1500-2500 dollar checks a week. and im not joking.
That's low pay also, since I'm a lineman / electrician, that's about what I make ($2,440 for 80 hours). If you do strictly line work it's a little more.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses. I realized after I posted it was linemen, sorry about that. At the school there is a 5 or so page list of linemen jobs companies are looking to fill. So it seems to be a pretty good job market.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
Thanks for the responses. I realized after I posted it was linemen, sorry about that. At the school there is a 5 or so page list of linemen jobs companies are looking to fill. So it seems to be a pretty good job market.
Yea as a Journeyman Lineman, you can go anywhere. There is a shortage of Linemen across the country. Pretty much pick a place you want to live and then contact the local utility. Or you can work for the contractors and make some serious money and be able to take off whenever you want.

Have to enjoy heights, being outside, working with big trucks, manual labor.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Jlink did you do an apprenticeship program or college type program? I am about to get out of the Marines in a little over a year and want to do a outside linemen apprenticeship program.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
jakoons86 is a glorious beacon of lightjakoons86 is a glorious beacon of lightjakoons86 is a glorious beacon of lightjakoons86 is a glorious beacon of lightjakoons86 is a glorious beacon of lightjakoons86 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: jason
jakoons86's Tacoma Gallery
lineman

I am a Transmission lineman for alabama power defently a very rewarding job with great pay if go with the right company with great long term benefits would be ok if my own son decided to follow that path.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
My dad was a linesman for like 25 yrs. he worked his flippin ass off. he works in the mtns up 285, so he has to work with snowcats, snowmobiles, 4wheelers and even helicopters. He recently got promoted, now hes the linesmans' boss lol. proof that hard work will pay off. Great business to be in, never gonna die thats for sure. but be prepared to work long, tedious hours. but it eventually pays off
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
mikejbert3836 is on a distinguished road
mikejbert3836's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a lineman at an Airport in MA... if you need info let me know
Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #15

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SuperwhiteTRD View Post
Jlink did you do an apprenticeship program or college type program? I am about to get out of the Marines in a little over a year and want to do a outside linemen apprenticeship program.
I went through a college program. 2 years, half the week in school, half the week in the training yard. No pay till we graduated and got hired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
My dad was a linesman for like 25 yrs. he worked his flippin ass off. he works in the mtns up 285, so he has to work with snowcats, snowmobiles, 4wheelers and even helicopters. He recently got promoted, now hes the linesmans' boss lol. proof that hard work will pay off. Great business to be in, never gonna die thats for sure. but be prepared to work long, tedious hours. but it eventually pays off
What company does he work for? I'm planning on moving out west and I've been thinking Denver would be a cool area. I'd rather be working in the mountains than jersey.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #17
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=JLink;4367457]I went through a college program. 2 years, half the week in school, half the week in the training yard. No pay till we graduated and got hired.

so at the end of the 2 year program where you able to take the test or did you have to work first for a couple years? also how bad are union dues? i have been researching this program for a couple months now and i cant see any bad things about it... it almost seems to good to be true.. not to mention that i get to use the gi bill also. also for any of the linemen is the possibility to work lots of over time normal or does it just happen around storms and stuff.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #18

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=11SuperwhiteTRD;4372744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
I went through a college program. 2 years, half the week in school, half the week in the training yard. No pay till we graduated and got hired.

so at the end of the 2 year program where you able to take the test or did you have to work first for a couple years? also how bad are union dues? i have been researching this program for a couple months now and i cant see any bad things about it... it almost seems to good to be true.. not to mention that i get to use the gi bill also. also for any of the linemen is the possibility to work lots of over time normal or does it just happen around storms and stuff.
its not just 2 years and a test. Its 2 years of lots of tests, then if you graduate and get hired there are 4 more years of apprenticeship where you have lots of tests to take and more training programs to go through. union dues are like $20-$30 a week I think.. but thats nothing compared to what the government takes in taxes!

Overtime is very common in some companies, unfortunately not in mine. We only get overtime when something is really messed up. Usually only during/after big storms. The more seniority you have the more often you get overtime. For example, if there was a car pole accident last night, they would call people in order of their seniority.. meaning I would never get a call.

I would look into the program and make sure you understand everything that it requires. My program was supposed to be 5 years, now its 6. I'm happy to have a solid job, but 6 years is a long time to be stuck in one place.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #19
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
not a linesman but know what chall talking bout I was a ground hand for a cable company in UT for a year...hardest work I've done besides framing custom homes! Never made it to the bucket and never strong enough to climb but the spanner machine was the coolest! Don't think that's what you call it...the cylinder thing that you pull down the base line and it wraps the steel wire around and around...."PULL" the boss used to yell at me all day!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #20

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
not a linesman but know what chall talking bout I was a ground hand for a cable company in UT for a year...hardest work I've done besides framing custom homes! Never made it to the bucket and never strong enough to climb but the spanner machine was the coolest! Don't think that's what you call it...the cylinder thing that you pull down the base line and it wraps the steel wire around and around...."PULL" the boss used to yell at me all day!
.... The pulling machine?