LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Looking to start a business... Need some advice

Old 12-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to start a business... Need some advice

Hey Fellas,
Im a recent college grad and Im looking to start up a business. I want something with low overhead and that can be run from home.

Any advice/ideas?

This is what i have so far:
1. Landscaping
2. Car Detailing
3. Carpet Cleaning

Thanks for looking!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTaco View Post
Hey Fellas,
Im a recent college grad and Im looking to start up a business. I want something with low overhead and that can be run from home.

Any advice/ideas?

1. Landscaping
2. Car Detailing
3. Carpet Cleaning

Thanks for looking!
Do you have any background in any of those things?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on where you are. In my community I would go landscaping because of the older retired people who live in gated communities with manicured lawns.

Personally I would rather do car detailing. Thought about trying to start something with detailing myself on the side and see where it goes.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
So you want almost 0 overhead then? Are you afraid of committing to a shit job for a while, or is this something that you want to be doing the rest of your life?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
AndrewPiering is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
AndrewPiering's Tacoma Gallery
Well, with car detailing and carpet cleaning, you will need insurance. I have a carpet cleaning business. Most places require $1,000,000 coverage. And its not exactly something you can start over night. You will need to learn the process and the overhead isnt exactly cheap. Car detailing is a low overhead, but look into the insurance just to cover your ass. Landscaping is seasonal. I actually just started a Janitorial Business. Very low overhead, just needed the insurance (if you have employees then you will need to be bonded) and basic supplies. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
So you want almost 0 overhead then? Are you afraid of committing to a shit job for a while, or is this something that you want to be doing the rest of your life?
No its just that I need some extra cash on the side and I have different career goals, but being that the economy is not doing so well right now I am forced to put those of for a while.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewPiering View Post
Well, with car detailing and carpet cleaning, you will need insurance. I have a carpet cleaning business. Most places require $1,000,000 coverage. And its not exactly something you can start over night. You will need to learn the process and the overhead isnt exactly cheap. Car detailing is a low overhead, but look into the insurance just to cover your ass. Landscaping is seasonal. I actually just started a Janitorial Business. Very low overhead, just needed the insurance (if you have employees then you will need to be bonded) and basic supplies. Good luck!
Thanks,
Reguarding the janitorial gig, How did you get your word out? Did you go door to door asking for business?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #8

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtigerfan View Post
Depends on where you are. In my community I would go landscaping because of the older retired people who live in gated communities with manicured lawns.

Personally I would rather do car detailing. Thought about trying to start something with detailing myself on the side and see where it goes.
The thing with landscaping is that the tools required can add up pretty quickly and its a very competitive field here in socal. My advantage is that I'm bilingual and can communicate much more clearly than the other gardners.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The thing with landscaping is that the tools required can add up pretty quickly and its a very competitive field here in socal. My advantage is that I'm bilingual and can communicate much more clearly than the other gardners.
You should have the tools necessary to do it by yourself for a while. You said you want to do this on the side so I'm assuming you don't have the time to manage a bunch of sites and workers. Unless you work out work vehicles or pay for them to drive their own you're trucks going to be the one hauling the trailer of tools and workers. In SC there are mostly hispanic landscapers too and language skills are really useful
Old 12-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
have you considered house painting? those guys make a fortune. and you can do it on the side.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
clean pools... you get the perks...
Old 12-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey Fellas,

Any advice/ideas?

1. Landscaping
2. Car Detailing
3. Carpet Cleaning

Thanks for looking!
What is your new degree in?

Seems like whatever it is it should prepare you for more than the 3 options above...unless they have degrees in those things now...wouldn't surprise me.

Whit
Old 12-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #13

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhart View Post
have you considered house painting? those guys make a fortune. and you can do it on the side.
Good idea, thats actually a pretty nice side gig.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #14

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post
clean pools... you get the perks...
LOL I looked in to that but its really hard to get on your feet, and have absolutely no idea how to do it.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #15

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitster View Post
What is your new degree in?

Seems like whatever it is it should prepare you for more than the 3 options above...unless they have degrees in those things now...wouldn't surprise me.

Whit
Believe it or not, I have an accounting degree and graduated top 5 percent of my class from one of the best business schools in the world. Thing is accounting isn't what im looking to do. My dream is to become a police officer but no departments are hiring right now because of budget cuts.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
how much $$$$ do you have to invest and get started?>
Old 12-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
MakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
MakoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't recommend car detailing if it's ultimately about cash. While on the surface it seems like easy money, fact is it is tough to turn cars quickly - proper detailing takes several hours (wash/wax/sweep/carpet clean/engine bay/door jams/rims/tires) and unless you charge a premium it wouldn't be worth your time. If you charge a premium, you better have the tools and knowledge and product - and to charge a premium, you would want a clientele of owners of high-end cars and planes. And if you fuck up a car, it's a big and professional expense, especially the higher-end car you go. Landscaping is easy to fix, and carpet has more room for error. I detailed cars in high school/college and spent HOURS detailing dirty-ass cars that just didn't justify the time put in. People are cheap - they'll pay to go to the local car-wash vs. your premium. They'll also pay cheap for you to lay mulch, but there's more room for profit here and it's a quick and easy job... AND they're less picky (I also did landscaping in high school/college). My vote is landscaping: overhead is low, and it's easier to control your time invested and thus, your expenses. It was always quick and easy dollars for me... In the time I put into detailing a car I could've mowed 3 yards and made more profit. Plus it was easy to fit a job into a smaller window than it was to fit a car detailing.

Your being bilingual is a great asset in the landscaping business. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #18

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoTacoma View Post
Wouldn't recommend car detailing if it's ultimately about cash. While on the surface it seems like easy money, fact is it is tough to turn cars quickly - proper detailing takes several hours (wash/wax/sweep/carpet clean/engine bay/door jams/rims/tires) and unless you charge a premium it wouldn't be worth your time. If you charge a premium, you better have the tools and knowledge and product - and to charge a premium, you would want a clientele of owners of high-end cars and planes. And if you fuck up a car, it's a big and professional expense, especially the higher-end car you go. Landscaping is easy to fix, and carpet has more room for error. I detailed cars in high school/college and spent HOURS detailing dirty-ass cars that just didn't justify the time put in. People are cheap - they'll pay to go to the local car-wash vs. your premium. They'll also pay cheap for you to lay mulch, but there's more room for profit here and it's a quick and easy job... AND they're less picky (I also did landscaping in high school/college). My vote is landscaping: overhead is low, and it's easier to control your time invested and thus, your expenses. It was always quick and easy dollars for me... In the time I put into detailing a car I could've mowed 3 yards and made more profit. Plus it was easy to fit a job into a smaller window than it was to fit a car detailing.

Your being bilingual is a great asset in the landscaping business. Good luck!
Thanks for the great advice man, I have some experience in landscaping so I was already leaning that way.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #19

OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
how much $$$$ do you have to invest and get started?>
I would like to keep start up costs as low as possible, mainly because I want to turn a profit as soon as possible.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #20
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Hate to be "that guy" but you are almost certain to lose money in these endeavors as well as any others that you take on with the attitude (just need some money on the side). To make a business work you either have to have a passion for the job, have lots of experience in the job, or have the $$ and sense to hire someone who does and let them run it. You would be much better served to get a temp to hire job while waiting for the PD hiring to pick up.

Just FYI.
My dad was the head carpet tech for a company for most of my childhood and had his own business for many years. I worked with him like a grown man from the time I was 13 and it is not just showing up and collecting money. You have to know your shit and even then you will just scrape by considering the gear to get started is around $150K (not including business licenses, insurance, etc).

Good luck with what ever you do but don't think just because you "start a business" you'll have any side money, personal time, etc. Chances are you won't have any. Of course it is a great learning experience...

Products Discussed in this Thread