Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

What if i told you

Old 12-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
03DBLCABTACO's Tacoma Gallery
What if i told you

What if I told you I was going to quit my job as a Chevy mechanic and go to sell Toyotas at the dealer down the road??? Am I crazy??
Old 12-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
03DBLCABTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have input???
Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
eddyb22 is on a distinguished road

eddyb22's Tacoma Gallery
what ever makes the most $$$$$
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Can always fall back on turning a wrench.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do it. Be prepared to print out hundreds of TSBs.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
l1tech is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
l1tech's Tacoma Gallery
Can't say I blame you for wanting to try something different. After turning wrenches for the last 25 years, I have considered making a career change too. Just got to find something that's fun and not just a job.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
If went to sales from wrenching at least you would know what you were talking about when it came time to sell a car/truck. I had a salesman tell me once that a BMW had over 1,000 foxpowers.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Wren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Wren's Tacoma Gallery
If you enjoy working on Chevy's and only want to sale Toyotas because you drive one than I would say No unless you really like sales which to me seems uncommon in mechanics, unless you want to tell them how superior a Tacomas are. If you like working on vehicles, I would wait till a toyota mechanic job opens up if you feel like your being disloyal to Toyotas. For any consolation if I had to pick another truck brand it would probably be a Chevy. Dodge are great power wise but their interior sucks, Nissans are Nissans, Fords are nice interiors but I hate fords (at least the newer ones). I'm not doing any towing or heavy stuff so i'm not looking for the power of Dodge. Just thought i should clarify.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have any experience selling cars?

A co-worker of mine (a Machine Operator) quit his job to become a car salesman.

Two years later....he came back to the factory and he's currently in a lesser position than what he left with.

So, if you don't have any experience selling cars.....I'd leave it alone!!!

And in fact, a bunch of people left our company (good paying machine Operator positions) and have recently come back.
So - if you think about leaving your current job, think LONG & HARD about it.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:37 AM   #12
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
How's business been lately?.. cause I've heard for mechanics, really, really shitty. So if you're confident in your abilities to sell a car, go for it. It'll make money to pay the bills.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Resident crazy cat lady
NewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Becca
NewTacomaGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to NewTacomaGirl Send a message via Yahoo to NewTacomaGirl Send a message via Skype™ to NewTacomaGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario Runner View Post
Whatever makes you happy, that is what really matters.
They also say "dont turn your hobby into your job or eventually you will end up hating it."

unless you have a giant passion for it I guess.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
A few things to think about-

As a former mechanic, your knowledge and honesty can and will get in the way of selling a car. You can't have an opinion that a certain model breaks down all the time and steer people away from it. You need to move inventory or you don't get paid. You have to learn to balance your conscience and honesty with your need to survive the game.

Can you adjust your expenses so that you can live off of a commission check? That check is usually an unknown amount at the beginning of the month which makes it hard to plan. You'll need to have substantial savings.

They will most likely carry you for 3-6 months until they set you free. Once free you'll get $500 a month draw. That draw comes out of your commission check. If you sit on draw for 3-4 months they'll take all of that out of your next commission check as well. I doubt you'd still be employed there if you went that long but that's another conversation.

It's super competitive, especially the used car side. You're not only fighting every other car lot in town but you're fighting every the guy standing next to you. You'll find you have no friends in that business.

Can you handle working every weekend and holiday? I hope so because they're mandatory. In car sales you'll get 2 days off per week and they are quite often not in a row.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
sales is a very challenging job as you always have to maintain quotas #1 to keep your job and #2 to make a decent paycheck. but if you like the idea and you become good at it, you can make a lot of money too. depends on what you want in life.