Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Painting Business, Ladder rack or trailer

Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Canadian Bacon
spares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spares's Tacoma Gallery
Painting Business, Ladder rack or trailer

This coming summer I am going to be operating a painting franchise in my area, the issue at hand is should I buy a ladder rack for my truck and put paint/ supplies in the bed. Or i have sourced a 6x12 enclosed trailer for about 150 bucks per month.

Comparison of observed details

BackRack headache rack
Pros;
Cheaper ~ $300 for rack
Savings in fuel milage
Cons;
miscellaneous wear and tear in/around bed
having to unload supplies whenever leaving truck unattended
Ladders are quite long therefore with 5 foot bed there may be quite an overhang front and back

Trailer Lease
Pros;
Save wear/damage on truck
Ladders will sit nicely on roof mounted ladder racks
Place to store all supplies and be locked
Cons;
Higher cost, ~ $150 per month, 600 for the summer
Reduced gas milage (unknown how much)

From anyone's experiance, will it be a pain in the ass to work from a trailer, having to haul it around when transporting ladders?

TL;DR
Trailer lease for ~600 or Headache rack for ~300

Any other input is appreciated! thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
757southpaw's Tacoma Gallery
My vote is for the enclosed lockable trailer!

I used to install electronic systems out of the back of the truck. Quickly learned that a topper was needed and then graduated to a Leonard trailer.

I found that it was much easier working out of it. Supplies were more accessable and protected from teh elements. On several occassions I was given permission to leave it on the job site. Either way I could use the trailer for work and the bed of the truck for personal and I could leave the trailer at home when not needed.

Edit: If im not mistaken, you can write of the lease as a business expense
Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Night In The Ruts!
09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about09DC4X4 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
09DC4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Enclosed trailer for sure.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Have you considered a cap/shell? There are tons of used ones out there for cheap. You can easily put cross-bars on the top and cary quite a few and long ladders on your roof. And they can be locked down easily. And of course the shell/cap will lock protecting your stuff inside.

I've got to say that besides the trailer option the cap/shell is the #1 way I see painters operating. And those with a trailer also seem to have a cap/shell for more gear..

Anyway, it's a cheaper alternative as you get started. And much more secure then a rack.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
trailer. nothing worse than coming home from a long day and having to unload a truck to get it ready for hunting/fishing/camping/date-night...