Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any Railroaders here?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
My dad use to drive one of these before he passed away. They were bought and sold a few times and are now Railtex I believe. It was fun as a young kid ridding on the locomotive.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #22
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I heard BNSF was hiring.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #23
jblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT United States Marine Corps
jblaze805's Tacoma Gallery
BNSF anyone got some questions for you
Old 03-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #24
SpaghettiWestern is on a distinguished road
SpaghettiWestern's Tacoma Gallery
I work for a short line in the upstate of South Carolina. We have pretty much designated hours and if there is a schedule change we know about it in advance. Right now I am off 2 days a week and on call the day after my 2 days off. Salary, benefits, etc. It's awesome. I tried getting on with NS and CSX with no luck after 2 years of trying. Not even called to a hiring session, but glad this worked out. It's a small family type atmosphere and I'm not union either. I get to pretty much learn everything as it comes along. We interchange w/ another short line and CSX. From our personal customer switches, we receive daily freight from a CSX local for our customers/ourselves, receive up to +/- 5 unit trains a month as well as build/send out the empties when we are finished with them using CSX power.

I really enjoy my job and can't wait to see where it goes. I've been doing it for almost 6 months now and love what I do. It's got it's days just like any other job. One thing is for sure. I really do enjoy clear (weather) days and nights a lot more now.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
WizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WizzyTRDTXPRO's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a second generation conductor been there for 8 years and no plans to go for my engineer card. I am in the Powder River Basin hauling coal.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
31 years with TTX corp. working as a railcar mechanic. Repair and welding of piggybacks, boxcars, rackcars, gondolas, and well cars. We did special modification of flatcars for clients to carry most any thing. We built cars to carry truck and suv frames from the manufactor to major automotive plants. I have done 15 years in the truck shop and built trucks and pressed and removed roller bearings from wheels. I have done all work but didn't get airbrake certification. Let go during the present president's reign, and will not be able to return to work. Only 5 more years till I am old enough to retire.
It's hell to earn your retirement and be too young to collect it. Railroad retirement requires you to be 60 years old and have 30 years active rail service to retire. I am too young to collect.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #27
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
This thread has me thinking... My great grandfather was an engineer if I remember right. I think it would be a really fun job.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #28
WizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WizzyTRDTXPRO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga tacoguy View Post
31 years with TTX corp. working as a railcar mechanic. Repair and welding of piggybacks, boxcars, rackcars, gondolas, and well cars. We did special modification of flatcars for clients to carry most any thing. We built cars to carry truck and suv frames from the manufactor to major automotive plants. I have done 15 years in the truck shop and built trucks and pressed and removed roller bearings from wheels. I have done all work but didn't get airbrake certification. Let go during the present president's reign, and will not be able to return to work. Only 5 more years till I am old enough to retire.
It's hell to earn your retirement and be too young to collect it. Railroad retirement requires you to be 60 years old and have 30 years active rail service to retire. I am too young to collect.
I will know that feeling when I have 30 years of service in I hired out when I was 22. But I can hold almost any job I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
This thread has me thinking... My great grandfather was an engineer if I remember right. I think it would be a really fun job.
It's a good career path if you can handle never sleeping in your bed every night, being on call 24/7, eating out of a lunch box every day, the Union/company drama, and etc. I do like the people and my job I just hate the crap that goes with it. If you want to get a Job on the railroad and go into pulling throttle if you have any questions I'd happily answer them.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #29
SpaghettiWestern is on a distinguished road
SpaghettiWestern's Tacoma Gallery
...you could just do research and find a non union shortline. Depending on a lot of factors you may luck out and have you a "9-5" and be in your bed at home every night. I am on a shift and go in everyday at the same time, Monday through Thursday. Off on Friday and Saturdays, on call on Sundays.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #30
BLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKSR5TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
BLKSR5TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I don't work directly for the railroad but i do work for Plasser American Corp in the engineering dept. We manufacture the machinery that does the maintenance on all the rail lines in North America. This is the machine that you will see most of out on the lines.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #31
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Missed this thread up until now. I got a job with BNSF and start in June. Super excited!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #32
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Bump.

Looking into working for the railroad. Ive got a friend that works for BNSF and he loves it but his work schedule is something like 8 days on 6 days off based out of Ft worth, TX.

Union pacific is another company Im looking into. Does anyone here have any inside info or experience with UP?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #33
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Hey there. I am settled into my role with BNSF. If you wanna chat about the opportunities let me know. Im more than happy to give you info.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #34
African Light Infantry
09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of

09TRDSpt's Tacoma Gallery
Former NS Conductor, played around in Intermodal Operations after that. Presently with GE re-engineering railroads from an IT perspective. Great field to be in, once its in your blood you cannot get out.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #35
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery

Subbed. I've perused the UP site a few times, and since the demise of SP and WP, they are the only major game in town here, but BNSF has a smaller presence. I live very close to the old SP locomotive shops and the Cal State Railroad Museum, where they hace Central Pacific No. 1 and Southern Pacific No. 1. And the last remaining articulated cab-forward.

UP has a big sorting yard and maint facility in Roseville, so that offers possibilities other than running trains at all hours (although that sounds like the funnest part). Problem is, it sounds like after training, they pretty much relocate you to wherever they need you geographically which would not work for me. The other possibility is the small short line California Northern, and even the Northwestern Pacific has made noise about restarting (Nor Cal coast).

I am looking into volunteering at the museum, where they do have opportunities to work in the restoration shops and actually run some of the excursion trains along the river. That could lead to something very cool and local.