1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

mill or military

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by yota new.o, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Good luck to you! The military isn't for everyone. My twin brother finished college at 22, got into the tech sector in the early 90s, and has made a fantastic living for himself. We each have our own paths.

Hard work and a willingness to make sacrifices to get ahead will always pay off. Currently, I work for the Texas Workforce Commission and the biggest problem with most people searching for careers is their UNWILLINGNESS to be flexible and relocate to accept a job. Just because a person accepts a certain job/career does not mean they will be in that situation forever. An individual is only limited by their own fear and their willingness to accept a certain amount of risk.

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    07NavyTaco

07NavyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, short bed, 4x4, bilstein 5100s
    billy 5100s @ 1.75, black grill and lower valence, tinted windows
    i agree, i haven't been in combat, but if i felt the navy needed me, i'd stay and do whatever was asked of me.

3. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    sinaptic

sinaptic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Twin Cities, MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab V6 4x4
    Fog lights, back-up camera, TRD cat-back exhaust, towing package, int. wiper stalk, Weathertech floor liners, color-matched the front bumper and grille, TSB leaf packs, Front Bilstein 5100's at 0", Eibach/Toytec coils (approx 1.25" front lift - sits almost level), rear Bilstein 5100's.
    As many have said, think about it carefully (it is quite a commitment) and consider all options - not just the 2 you listed. Sometimes you can find an opportunity for a career where you least expect it...

I personally regret not serving while I had the chance. But, you're still young - you have some time to figure things out. Whatever you do, make these life decisions for yourself, don't let anyone decide for you.

Good luck with whatever you end up on! :D

4. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    Wichitaco

Wichitaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner
    Debadged, painted doorhandles, painted wheels, painted grill, Fox 2.0 with resi's in rear, Toytec coilovers in front.
    As a currently serving Marine, I can tell you straight forward that life in the military will NOT be an easy one. Plain and simple, but at 18,19 years old you need to get out and experiance the world. There is no better way to do that than join the military. 07NavyTaco is exactly right, they are cutting the headshed, not the worker bees. You'll do just fine either way I'm sure, but the military is a stable option in today's unstable economy.

5. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    07NavyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:
    what this guy said. :thumbsup:

you also need to discuss it with your fiance. some people can't handle the long distance stuff. i had a gf for 3 yrs, thought i'd marry her. she's now married to another man and has a 18 month old kid. :rolleyes:

just be sure to look at EVERYTHING.

6. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    This^

I did 4 years and I am glad I did it too.

7. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    We like the current slam just fine. :D

8. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    07NavyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:
  9. Feb 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Consider a civil service job with the military. In addition to civilian skilled labor (facility maintenance, etc), the military also employs several hundred thousand, highly skilled (advanced degree, etc), civilian engineers, scientists, analysts, and so on. Cutbacks here are not nearly as dramatic. At the same time, you gain many of the same benefits (travel, facility access, retirement, etc), with pay similar (skilled labor) or somewhat below (engineers, analysts, etc) the civilian sector.

10. Feb 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    As several others have indirectly indicated ... if you do get injured on active duty ... the DoD/DVA is pretty good about taking care of you. They are much more generous than the "civilian sector" when it comes to "on the job injuries". ... :D

Also, most "civilian companies" do not have the retirement plans that they used to have either.

Good luck in whatever you do ... :D

PS ... rleeharris ... made some excellent points to think about when it comes to $$$ for military retirement and military injuries.

11. Feb 10, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    yota new.o

yota new.o [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    fabtech dirtlogic coilovers with all-pro a-arms chevy 63" leaf springs billi 5125 12" extended bore shockins in rear headache rack duplicolor bed armor bumpers kc daylighters front fenders corbeau racing seats custom bed rack
    wow you guys really give a kid alot to think about. ive made my first choice i need to wait and see if i get a chance at this apprentice program before anything. and monday my parents are taking to their financial guy to set up a roth ira. he gave me the numbers and if i put 2000 a year into this thing with compounding interest by the time im 55 ill have 1.2 million dollars of tax free money thats a damn good retirement. again thank you guys for all the info im really caught up on what to do i appreciate it. on a lighter note truck goes in monday for 5% tint all around and march 14th for full suspension upgrade ha ha

12. Feb 10, 2012 at 2:06 AM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    Well coming from a Millwright of 12 years it is one of the most demanding and hazardous jobs in this economy. I am now a winery maintenance technician and its much easier to do. I worked for Collins in Lakeview Oregon for 5 years and it damn near killed me. My Dad worked for Collins Pine for 12 years. I would not recommend staying with them as the lumber mills our dying out. I also worked for Sierra Pacific which is quite a bit bigger than Collins is. Ya the money might start out good for the area but it will suck you in and before you know it you are buying things and not able to get out. Dont get me wrong it was a good experience but a Sawmill is a very hard life and Dangerous. I've had my hand crushed and a very severe head injury that I still have problems with. And these happened about 12 years ago. If you can try and look into some other things other than this apprentice program and I mean if you like mechanic things the winery's pay way better than the sawmills ever will. When I started in the sawmill I was only making $14 an hr. for a millwright apprentice and I had 4 welding certifications as well. The winery that Im at now you can start out at $20 an hr and work up to over $40 an hr for a seasoned mechanic. Also the benifits are way better than the sawmills. I have over 3 weeks payed vacation and have only been here 6 years. Let me know if ya need any more info and I will be glad to answer them.

13. Feb 10, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    There are plenty of up and coming companies in the civilian side that do offer great benefits and retirement... and pay. I know because im lucky enough to have a job at one. you just have to do a little research and see which ones have big long term contracts with the military.

14. Feb 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    Wichitaco

Wichitaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner
    Debadged, painted doorhandles, painted wheels, painted grill, Fox 2.0 with resi's in rear, Toytec coilovers in front.
    IF you do choose the military, make it Marines kid. You'll be glad you did! Semper Fi.

To Top