Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

mill or military

Old 02-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
yota new.o is on a distinguished road

Name: joe
yota new.o's Tacoma Gallery
mill or military

i just recently got hired at collins products here in my local town and after a few days of work im not sure if i can see my self there for a career. ive always wanted to go into the military but things always come up before i plan to go in. i need some help opinions anything imv ery confused right now thanks guys.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Military is downsizing and putting off raises/promotions... Not gonna tell you what to do, but that's something you should be aware of.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
nobody can make up your mind for you, gotta find what you want!

Military's a big deal though.
" things always come up before i plan to go in."
you gotta make sure you're solid on it, or you wont like the next 4 years of your life.

also, make up your mind quick. The military's getting smaller.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I personally wouldn't try to peruse a career in the military being an enlisted.. But Officer? Yes, very so...
Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3
Name: Josh
07NavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
the military IS downsizing, but they're doing from the top. they're getting rid of the guys that have been in for 12 yrs and aren't making rank like they should.

i've only been in for 5 yrs and i'm separating in April. i'm MORE than happy i did it, but i'm also glad it's over. i've learned alot and it has changed my outlook on everything. wouldn't trade my time and experiences for anything.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Military is downsizing and putting off raises/promotions... Not gonna tell you what to do, but that's something you should be aware of.

True, but that's more relevant for career people. They will always need E-1 - E-3 grunts.

I say, buy the asvab idiots guide, study like mad and take the test. Joining the Army opened doors for me that I would never know existed, and still opening doors for me, 17 years after I left...

Good luck with whatever you do!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i agree with krimson, it's not a career of my choice, but it was a very good learning experience.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly 07NavyTaco, I wouldn't trade my experience for anything..

Just whatever you do, don't go in with an Open Contract or Undesignated!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
yota new.o is on a distinguished road

Name: joe
yota new.o's Tacoma Gallery
ive got a great option fro careers i scored an 89 on the asvab and i know what i want to do. if i went in i would like to weld and go into the guard so i can stay here in my town. my fionce has a great job and all of our family is here but i understand what you guys are saying about downsizing. do you think it is more dependable than a mill with this economy
Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #10

For you, i think it could be more stable but you'll probably get paid less. i don't know what you make now, but base pay for E1-E3 is around $1200-$1400 a month.

Here's a real noob question for me. is the national guard a reserves unit? if so, you'll still need a regular job. i'm VERY unfamiliar with the national guard.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
You are WAY to young in been so hang up about trying to stay in your town.

Good luck to you, and yes 89 is a damn good score.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Research very carefully what is available in each branch with your ASVAB score. Pick what you want, and prepare for a culture shock. You'll be a better man for having joined, even if you don't make it a career. It will open the doors you want, but you still have to do the work to make it happen.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
well im sure you get allot of opinions from people who serve which is great, I Have not served but I am a civilian contractor. Its great to serve your country! But the pay just isnt there, you have so many more opportunities to apply yourself outside of the military and advance in pay alot quicker. I feel like i can still serve the men and women who are serving as a contractor because they do rely on us for alot of things and the pay is nominally better. Come to the dark side!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
well im sure you get allot of opinions from people who serve which is great, I Have not served but I am a civilian contractor. Its great to serve your country! But the pay just isnt there, you have so many more opportunities to apply yourself outside of the military and advance in pay alot quicker. I feel like i can still serve the men and women who are serving as a contractor because they do rely on us for alot of things and the pay is nominally better. Come to the dark side!
if i had the option to be a contractor, i'd jump on it now, BUT i feel like i've completed my duty to my country now. it's a very prideful thing to serve.

i'm not hating on anyone that chose not to.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07NavyTaco View Post
if i had the option to be a contractor, i'd jump on it now, BUT i feel like i've completed my duty to my country now. it's a very prideful thing to serve.

i'm not hating on anyone that chose not to.

Actually funny as it is, when I was 18 i had no desire to join the military, now at 23 and being a contractor and learning more about the real world (example: the rest of the world and the people who hate us) Im more inclined to join now! lol
Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Actually funny as it is, when I was 18 i had no desire to join the military, now at 23 and being a contractor and learning more about the real world (example: the rest of the world and the people who hate us) Im more inclined to join now! lol
don't do it. lol you have a good job and your doing your part. i'm 24 and i'm about to go to college. it feels like my time in the navy put my life on hole for 5 yrs. ya know what i mean?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07NavyTaco View Post
don't do it. lol you have a good job and your doing your part. i'm 24 and i'm about to go to college. it feels like my time in the navy put my life on hole for 5 yrs. ya know what i mean?
Oh i know what you mean I work with all the military guys here and I see it everyday. Its great to serve your country but you definiteyl put your life on hold. The only way you can really gain good experience for after the military is get alot of aviation experience, thats about it.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #18

Plus i wouldnt give up the pay haha. I can still help out and make a great living.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #19

i'm wondering what the OP thinks of our conversation.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
I look back and wish I'd checked into the military when I was a young noob.