1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any carpenters with career advice?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by loaderman82, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bryan is funny... i love it when he bags whoever he is helping because of their shitty work.

2. Feb 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Personally, I would stay away from home inspection because of the liability. I would shoot for home appraisal if you wanted to go that route.

If you want to get into the building industry and have a great attention to detail I would work towards finish carpentry. I really enjoy trim work, cabinet installs, etc. Plus you're not likely to get drenched or burned.

3. Feb 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I like Bryan Baeumler too , haha he looks like me

4. Feb 14, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    Jez

Jez Hittn' easy steet on mud tires

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    K&N air intake, Fox 2.5 coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expo rear leaf pack, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Diff Drop, U-Bolt Flip kit, Drive Shaft shim kit, Weathertech's, Borla cat back, Ultra Gauge,Clarion Radio, 18% tinted windows all the way around, smoked tail lights and rear break light, painted front chrome grill black, stained yellow fog lights, black head light mod, Interior LED kit, LED reverse lights, black leather arm rest mod
    You just need to be confident and sell yourself to some companies to get your foot in the door. You can go the home inspector rout or the appraisal rout but you will have a tough time transferring into the actual industry without practical experience.

5. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    loaderman82

loaderman82 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Flippin, AR
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off-Road

That makes sense. Thanks!

6. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    Darth_Yota

Darth_Yota I intend to live forever, or die trying.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam-moron
    Somewhere USA
    Vehicle:
    Dented, broken-down ‘08 hoopty
    Ain’t good’nuff for insta
    I would suggest trying a sort-of-apprentiship with a skilled carpenter. Someone who does millwork, and fine woodwork. That stuff comes in handy in almost all construction situations, and doesn't limit what you can do. Not to mention there aren't enough truly talented woodworkers out there... Almost a dying breed. Where I live and work the best carpenters are all retired or current boat builders with years of training, on and off site, not too sure what you're looking for.

Might I suggest shingling as well? Not so much carpentry, but everyone needs their roof re-shingled at some point. Pays good too! And depending where you work, pretty awesome views!

I don't know if this is helpful or not... But good luck!

7. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    loaderman82

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Flippin, AR
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off-Road
    Everything everybody is telling me is helpful. I can use all the info I can get on this. The guy that i'm talking to about a job does mostly framing, but if I can just get my foot in the door maybe I can work my way up to the finishing work or a specific skill. Thanks man.

8. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    VermonterLost

VermonterLost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    Not a bad job if you like it. Probably not bad down where you are but up here in New England it sucks working in the winter. I've done it on and off for the past 6 years, on right now. It's like any job, some parts are awesome, some suck.

I work for a general contractor right now and general means GENERAL! 2 weeks ago I was doing finish trim, last week I was gutting an old music store, and today I was laying a pine floor. Trying to get into a woodworking shop right now, something more of what I like (went to college to be a woodshop teacher).

Best thing to do is work for someone who does good work, is knowledgeable, and willing to take the time to teach. These guys are out there, sometimes hard to find, but they exist. Great way to learn. Can't say the only way, but nearly the only way to earn a decent living in this field is to work for yourself.

Can't say as this is the info you're looking for, could just be my ass rambling. But if you think you like it, only one way to find out for sure.

9. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    loaderman82

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Flippin, AR
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off-Road

:thumbsup:

10. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    mjm540ii

mjm540ii Ding Dang Dee

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oxford, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport AC V6
    Fog light mod, interior LED's, illuminated switch, B110 5100's in the rear, Satoshi Grill, Hella 500's, 4X Innovations sliders, rear diff breather mod, painted rocker panels, bhlm, yellow wire mod, CB, Wheeler's 2"aal, Allpro diff skid, ubolt flip, LR UCA's, 885X's w/ 13mm spacer on 5100's, Spydertrax spacers, Relentless IFS/ mid/ T case skids, 255/85/16 KM2s, block heater, DTRL mod, T2 eyelids, Wheelers Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines, ATO shackle flip kit,1" 4Crawler BL, Elite fr plate bumper, Flyzeye LEDs, Drilled and slotted rotors, 20" LED bar
    I will not knock the show, but holmes on homes is not really practical. When you are playing with old work, you will need to do alot more than what is seen on the show. Ever set up a transit to shoot heights that may affect you 2 months from now? I have been working under my dad, who has 30+ years experience in carpentry and general contracting, and even he will never say that he is a master. I learn something new almost every day, and am thankful that I have a job.
    Take in what you learn, but do not try to read minds. If you want to take my advice, fine, if not, fine as well. Ive tried to be a step ahead of my dad many times, but there is always something you forget, even if you have done it many times over. I thin it is a good profession to get into. However, getting steady work and good, steady help (if you strike it out on your own someday) may be sparse.

11. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Without a doubt Holmes on Homes is just a tv show that is not the be all and end all of construction .

When you deal with renos , you can rarely set everything dead level like you would in new construction .

12. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    VermonterLost

VermonterLost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    My girlfriend loves that show. I have to then spend half the show explaining to her everything they aren't showing and how they do it. Good show, I like it, would love to work for the guy, but never gonna happen. The amount of add ons and change orders they go through, it'd be cheaper and easier to burn it down and start over.

13. Mar 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    3rd gen carpenter...contractor...homebuilder here.

40 years at the trade.

as others have posted...you will not get wealthy at it (although I have made some serious bank building custom homes)

however, it WILL wear you out physically and mentally (especially if you are the general contractor)

and in most states, you must be licensed & insured to contract and pull permits. although you can do carpentry for others as a sub contractor with minimal to no licensure requirements.

my advice...RUN do not walk from the idea. yes, it has been good to me, but the trade is a shadow of its former glory days.

when my dad was working at it and I was a helper...carpenters made more money than ball players...and were more respected.

today...not so much.

14. Mar 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Who's going to build the future homes if no one takes up the trades ?

15. Mar 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    good point.

although not may homes are "built" anymore...they are thrown together.

it has, and will become more in the future...a low paying, labor position. where it used to be a highly respected position to be a tradesman.

sadly. :(

16. Mar 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    There will always be a demand for skilled trades building custom homes , maybe a smaller niche than in the past but there is no chance it will disappear

17. Mar 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I agree. there are some things machines & computers can not do.
    :cheers:

To Top