Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Any carpenters with career advice?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
loaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dalton
loaderman82's Tacoma Gallery
Any carpenters with career advice?

I have been working at a rock quarry for 7 years now and they are cutting back my hours so they don't have to pay overtime. I have always wanted to be a carpenter and I thought this might be my oppertunity to try it out. I called a contractor today and he seemed interested and said he could probably put me to work on the weekends to see how I did and if I liked it. I have helped family build a few houses and have built decks, and other odd job before, but have never done this as a profession. I really want this to work out so I wanted to ask if there was any tips or tricks that I should do to help me out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
loaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anybody?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know how the building industry is around your area but it is horrible pretty much everywhere. I know alot of carpenters looking for work. The pay isn't that great either if you're a grunt. But if you can find someone to latch onto and you do a good job you can become valuable. Most helpers around here are pretty flaky and I always hear of framers looking for helpers.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Construction jobs are at their LOWS right now. I know many that are struggling.
Some have lost their businesses.
If you have a decent job-keep it. Do the construction thing on your off days--see if you like it.
A retired guy I know does small home repairs--he stays very busy.
It depends WHERE you are located and what type of work you are doing.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You won't get rich . Having said that , I love my profession .

Learning from people that know what they are doing is key .
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #6

Yeah I know that building is slow, but this is what I have always wanted to do. The guy that i'm talking to is a multi-millionaire ( he sells oil to the government) and builds big houses for doctors and lawyers and such. I'm not getting rich doing what i'm doing now either, I only make around $30K a year. The guy said he didn't have a problem paying what I already make and even more if it works out. My wife makes good money being an RN, which means that as long as I make what i'm making now i'll be good. I'll be sure to watch the guys who have done it for a long time. What all tools is a must? I already have all my power tools and all the basics.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Hittn' easy steet on mud tires
Jez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jez's Tacoma Gallery
I am a construction manager for a home builder and there are no "quality" positions like mine out there. However there is a big need for skilled labor as there just are not enough people out there who are reliable. I say if your a hard worker and have a good attitude and are reliable you won't have a problem finding work. Like others have said you won't get rich to start but you will be in a good position when/if things turn around. Also try the commercial industry as there is always work there.
I absolutley love what I do...sure you will too.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #8

Thanks man. I hope that one day I can open up my own business. I have also thought about home inspector, appraiser, and real estate license. I am only 30 and want to have a career instead of a job like I have now. I have worked for my current employer for 7 years and haven't got a raise in 4. I think it's cause i'm so easy going that they know that I won't say anything to them about it. I'm excited yet nervous at the same time.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderman82 View Post
Yeah I know that building is slow, but this is what I have always wanted to do. The guy that i'm talking to is a multi-millionaire ( he sells oil to the government) and builds big houses for doctors and lawyers and such. I'm not getting rich doing what i'm doing now either, I only make around $30K a year. The guy said he didn't have a problem paying what I already make and even more if it works out. My wife makes good money being an RN, which means that as long as I make what i'm making now i'll be good. I'll be sure to watch the guys who have done it for a long time. What all tools is a must? I already have all my power tools and all the basics.
Tools depends on your tasks , ie : do you do foundations , framing , siding , finishing , a bit of all ?

I would say a basic kit includes all your own hand tools , a framing square , 4' level , circular saw , drill and a couple power cords .

Reliable transportation to work , a phone where you can be reached and being a bit early and willing to stay a couple extra minutes each day goes a long way .

I always tell my new guys to take pride in whatever task they are asked to do , and do whatever you are working on to the best of your abilities , the new guys seldom get the really fun stuff right off the bat , but the best of the new guys is always first in line when the opportunity arises .

You and your boss can work it out beyond that .
Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Tools depends on your tasks , ie : do you do foundations , framing , siding , finishing , a bit of all ?

I would say a basic kit includes all your own hand tools , a framing square , 4' level , circular saw , drill and a couple power cords .

Reliable transportation to work , a phone where you can be reached and being a bit early and willing to stay a couple extra minutes each day goes a long way .

I always tell my new guys to take pride in whatever task they are asked to do , and do whatever you are working on to the best of your abilities , the new guys seldom get the really fun stuff right off the bat , but the best of the new guys is always first in line when the opportunity arises .

You and your boss can work it out beyond that .
I have all the tools you mentioned and for sure have the reliable transportation. It really sounds like you know your stuff and I will remember all your advice. Hopefully one day I can be giving the advice you have rather than receiving it! Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have all the tools you mentioned and for sure have the reliable transportation. It really sounds like you know your stuff and I will remember all your advice. Hopefully one day I can be giving the advice you have rather than receiving it! Thanks!
I've been a carpenter for 22 years , and have had my own company going on 12 years now . Feel free to pm me if you ever have any questions , I'm glad to try to help .
Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
soap is on a distinguished road
Name: Sop
soap's Tacoma Gallery
Construction and home building is great and all but if I were you, I would look into plumbing, electrical or a trade that involves a licensed individual. It may be a pain in the ass to complete all the schooling etc. but it becomes well worth it once your can officially say your a "licensed plumber, electrician etc." Also licensed professionals can easily charge more money just bc they are licensed. I've been plumbing mansions and estates for the wealthy "1%" for ten years now, and I can say I couldn't be happier. Just some food for thought.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #13

Quote:
I've been a carpenter for 22 years , and have had my own company going on 12 years now . Feel free to pm me if you ever have any questions , I'm glad to try to help .
Will do, thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by soap View Post
Construction and home building is great and all but if I were you, I would look into plumbing, electrical or a trade that involves a licensed individual. It may be a pain in the ass to complete all the schooling etc. but it becomes well worth it once your can officially say your a "licensed plumber, electrician etc." Also licensed professionals can easily charge more money just bc they are licensed. I've been plumbing mansions and estates for the wealthy "1%" for ten years now, and I can say I couldn't be happier. Just some food for thought.
That may be something I look into. I don't care what it takes, I want to do this for a living and be successful at it. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by soap View Post
Worthy advice .

Here in BC , you have to be a Licenced Residential Contractor in order to construct new homes .
Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #16

Hey OZ, being how you are in canada do you watch alot of Holmes on Homes? That is the best show ever IMO. I watch every episode even re-runs.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey OZ, being how you are in canada do you watch alot of Holmes on Homes? That is the best show ever IMO. I watch every episode even re-runs.
Yep , Holmes on Homes , Holmes Inspection , Disaster DIY , and Leave it to Bryan

Lol
Old 02-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Yep , Holmes on Homes , Holmes Inspection , Disaster DIY , and Leave it to Bryan

Lol
He is my hero, I would give anything to be able to work for him. Never seen Leave it to Bryan, i'll have to try to find that one.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He is my hero, I would give anything to be able to work for him. Never seen Leave it to Bryan, i'll have to try to find that one.
He is on HGTV Canada , not sure if it is on in the US
Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #20

Quote:
He is on HGTV Canada , not sure if it is on in the US
Oh, probably not.