Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Need advice from firefighters/EMS personnel

Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Justin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Squad Leader D co 52nd Infantry (AT) "Hellcats"
Name: Justin
Justin W's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin W
Need advice from firefighters/EMS personnel

Hello everyone,

I am currently on active duty in the Army serving abroad in Afghanistan. Im an infantryman,and have served for 6 years. Firefighting has always been something that i have wanted to do. I have served multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. I want begin a new chapter in my career. Anyways here is a link to the program i want to enroll in: http://www.laniertech.edu/AcademicPr...lyers/s-35.pdf

Please guys any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Do it. It's a rewarding career. I love my job, I love working with Fire and Police and there's nothing like parting traffic like Moses and the red sea.

Good luck with it!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Justin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of lightJustin W is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks man!!! If you dont mind me asking what is the pay like? am i gonna be struggling living pay check to pay check with a meager salary?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I'm up in Canukistan and we make very good money for what we do. Specially when you start tagging shift premiums in there. You'd have to wait for some of the other EMS/Fire personal from the states to answer that, cause I'd hate to pull a number from my ass and be completely wrong.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Like most jobs your pay will depend on where you work, who you work for(local/hospital ambulance company, national company like AMR), and what level of EMT you are. Without overstepping my bounds, I've heard firefighters get paid based on specialty knowledge as well (high angle extractions, swift water rescue, HAZMAT) but I'm sure someone else can correct that if I'm wrong.

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll love the field!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #6

Cool bro! Like I said earlier im open to any and all advice, input, 2 cents, etc. It is all appreciated!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #7

C'mon dudes i know there are more of ya'll out there. Let me hear your input!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Snoyota will become famous soon enoughSnoyota will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Taylor
Snoyota's Tacoma Gallery
The pay depends on where you work and what type of skills you have, I work in the Norcal/ SF are and the pay ranges from 75,000-100,000$ a year and that is without overtime or holiday pay.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
here it can start out from 20000 full time to triple digits, depending on where what position OT ect...
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #10

ok. what certs do you guys recommend that i get so i can be competitive?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin W View Post
ok. what certs do you guys recommend that i get so i can be competitive?
depends on the agency, some it doesnt matter one bit what experiance you have others preffer firefighter I&II and EMT-B....if youre gonne get certs get your emt...
Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #12

alright did you get a chance to look at the link i posted? that is what im looking at doing.
I also really appreciate this feedback!!