1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking to change careers IT to auto-mechanic

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by ajan246, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    ajan246

ajan246 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey Everyone,

I recently graduated school with a bachelors in computer information systems, and i'm working for a small petroleum company now. However my passion has always been with working on cars and repair/performance. Recently i've started to realize that the information technology field is not for me. I am way toooo bored here. Anyway wanted to check with any of you guys on advice on getting my foot in the door. In a perfect would I would love to get a job at a shop and learn with OTJ training. I just spent 5 years in college I kind of don't want to go back. But let me know what you guys think. Also (a shot in the dark) if anyone on here reads this and has a shop, i'm asking for a shot to prove myself. I may not know everything but what I can guarnatee is a work ethic and burning desire to succeed and learn from anyone who will teach.

thanks guys!
    ajan246

2. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    09tacorunner

09tacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duke City
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    the easiest way to become a auto-mechanic would be to become ASE certified doesn't take to long to get done i was gonna become certified but decided to take a different route incase i get bored. I will always have a passion for working on cars so when i head back to school i will probably get a minor in automotive technology aside from my major which is yet to be determined!

look into becoming a certified mechanic you learn all your basics from your prior knowledge no need to go back for a full degree!

3. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Stay in IT for the money, work on cars in your spare time.

4. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Do you have the "hands" needed to be a mechanic? It's not only being smart.

5. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Since I'm sort of in the field I will give one bit of advice...

If you love something, don't make a career from it...you will grow to not enjoy it

I work at an offroad shop and as I still love it, I don't wnjoy working on my truck as much as I did previously.

6. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control

7. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I would argue have many passions, but only make one of them a career. I did it with exercise science, but I left rock climbing, autos, guns, and technology as hobbies.

When something becomes a job, suddenly you have deadlines, assignments, and superiors, and it's not enjoyable at the same level as when you were doing it on your own terms.

It's not *bad*, per se, but it's not what made you fall in love with the subject in the first place.

If you like your current work and can live off it, stay with it. It's almost impossible to get past "like" with your work. The grass is always greener until you get there.

8. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    They say do what you enjoy and you will never "work " a day in your life. Go for it and good luck

9. Mar 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    x2 Why work on cars wen your going to not make much money.

I am electrician, almost done with trade school. I am currently back in college to earn my BS in Mechanical Engineering. I always ask myself why didn't I go straight to college once I graduated high school.

One of the reason I am going back to college is because I will be making a lot more money in the engineering field than the electrical field.

EDIT: I don't even know where I was going with this statement. I guess what I trying to say is use the degree you majored in for work and work on cars as a hobby.

10. Mar 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    I am w/jandrews--IT for the MONEY--CARS for fun. changs locations--SHITLOADS more money in IT.
    Hell- DEVELOP something for cars computers--On the fly eco-booster or something new for the LEAD FOOT.
    You do not need to get your hands dirty--UNLESS you WANT TO.

11. Mar 5, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    Palooka

Palooka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Crescent Valley, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    ^ Funny you say that... I am a sparky too. It would be a pay-cut for quite a while if I decided to go to engineering.

No one can tell you whether it's a good idea to follow your passion as a career or a hobby. I know people that wish they wouldn't have, and others that are so happy with their job they'll do it on their free time. Its up to the person...

I say do it. I am thinking of changing over to a mechanic career instead myself. The only thing stopping me is the thought of a large pay decrease to become and oil change monkey for 2 years.... odds are that's what your looking at.

12. Mar 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Mechanics can make damn good money once they own their own shop and have loyal customers in an area and several techs working for 'em. Like, six figure yearly gross money.

It's a long road to get to that point though, and many never do.

You're already in IT, which pays pretty well. You're probably better off from a financial perspective advancing your career now with raises rather than resetting back to entry level in a new field for less starting pay.

13. Mar 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I was an ASE mechanic from about 1988 to 1994. I left because I can't stand dealing with the public when they are pissed at you before they even meet you because their car is broke, then no matter what you fix, everything that breaks after that is your fault. I have been a chief engineer at a manufacturing facility since then. Best move I ever made. I still love working with my hands AND brains.

To Top