LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

looking to change careers IT to auto-mechanic

Old 03-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
ajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajan246 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ajan246's Tacoma Gallery
looking to change careers IT to auto-mechanic

Hey Everyone,

I recently graduated school with a bachelors in computer information systems, and i'm working for a small petroleum company now. However my passion has always been with working on cars and repair/performance. Recently i've started to realize that the information technology field is not for me. I am way toooo bored here. Anyway wanted to check with any of you guys on advice on getting my foot in the door. In a perfect would I would love to get a job at a shop and learn with OTJ training. I just spent 5 years in college I kind of don't want to go back. But let me know what you guys think. Also (a shot in the dark) if anyone on here reads this and has a shop, i'm asking for a shot to prove myself. I may not know everything but what I can guarnatee is a work ethic and burning desire to succeed and learn from anyone who will teach.

thanks guys!
ajan246
Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Driving a tacoma is a lifestyle
09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all

Name: Jason
09tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
the easiest way to become a auto-mechanic would be to become ASE certified doesn't take to long to get done i was gonna become certified but decided to take a different route incase i get bored. I will always have a passion for working on cars so when i head back to school i will probably get a minor in automotive technology aside from my major which is yet to be determined!

look into becoming a certified mechanic you learn all your basics from your prior knowledge no need to go back for a full degree!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Stay in IT for the money, work on cars in your spare time.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Since I'm sort of in the field I will give one bit of advice...

If you love something, don't make a career from it...you will grow to not enjoy it

I work at an offroad shop and as I still love it, I don't wnjoy working on my truck as much as I did previously.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=08pretaco;4684810]
If you love something, don't make a career from it...you will grow to not enjoy it.QUOTE]

X2

Keep your passions that, not a job
Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would argue have many passions, but only make one of them a career. I did it with exercise science, but I left rock climbing, autos, guns, and technology as hobbies.

When something becomes a job, suddenly you have deadlines, assignments, and superiors, and it's not enjoyable at the same level as when you were doing it on your own terms.

It's not *bad*, per se, but it's not what made you fall in love with the subject in the first place.

If you like your current work and can live off it, stay with it. It's almost impossible to get past "like" with your work. The grass is always greener until you get there.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
They say do what you enjoy and you will never "work " a day in your life. Go for it and good luck
Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Stay in IT for the money, work on cars in your spare time.
x2 Why work on cars wen your going to not make much money.

I am electrician, almost done with trade school. I am currently back in college to earn my BS in Mechanical Engineering. I always ask myself why didn't I go straight to college once I graduated high school.

One of the reason I am going back to college is because I will be making a lot more money in the engineering field than the electrical field.

EDIT: I don't even know where I was going with this statement. I guess what I trying to say is use the degree you majored in for work and work on cars as a hobby.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
I am w/jandrews--IT for the MONEY--CARS for fun. changs locations--SHITLOADS more money in IT.
Hell- DEVELOP something for cars computers--On the fly eco-booster or something new for the LEAD FOOT.
You do not need to get your hands dirty--UNLESS you WANT TO.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
Palooka is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
Palooka's Tacoma Gallery
^ Funny you say that... I am a sparky too. It would be a pay-cut for quite a while if I decided to go to engineering.

No one can tell you whether it's a good idea to follow your passion as a career or a hobby. I know people that wish they wouldn't have, and others that are so happy with their job they'll do it on their free time. Its up to the person...

I say do it. I am thinking of changing over to a mechanic career instead myself. The only thing stopping me is the thought of a large pay decrease to become and oil change monkey for 2 years.... odds are that's what your looking at.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Poser Truck

Mechanics can make damn good money once they own their own shop and have loyal customers in an area and several techs working for 'em. Like, six figure yearly gross money.

It's a long road to get to that point though, and many never do.

You're already in IT, which pays pretty well. You're probably better off from a financial perspective advancing your career now with raises rather than resetting back to entry level in a new field for less starting pay.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
I was an ASE mechanic from about 1988 to 1994. I left because I can't stand dealing with the public when they are pissed at you before they even meet you because their car is broke, then no matter what you fix, everything that breaks after that is your fault. I have been a chief engineer at a manufacturing facility since then. Best move I ever made. I still love working with my hands AND brains.