Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

KPT's Earth thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Origin:
1375–1425; Middle English quarey (noun) < Medieval Latin quareia, variant of quareria < Old French quarriere < Vulgar Latin *quadrāria place where stone is squared, derivative of Latin quadrāre to square

Hmm, just learned something. It's good day.

So, 16, how many rocks have you managed to set on fire or clog your toilet with?
Thanks for clearing up my queries about quaries.

Keith, I went backpacking in New Mexico and was advised to crap under large rocks to keep from animals rooting through it and eating it. Does this hurt the rock's feelings?

Another time I was camping and threw a rock down at a tree and my friend walked out from behnd the tree and it smacked him in the head. My friend was fine but did we need to get the rock medical help?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
Tortoise*
IndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AJ
IndigoTac07's Tacoma Gallery
Can rocks fly planes?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #23
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Hello curious rock and mineral enthusiasts! I am out drinking tonight and will respond to your queries when I return.
hello?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #24
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
is dirt just tiny rocks?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #25
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoTac07 View Post
Can rocks fly planes?
But I have met some pilots that resembled rocks.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #26
gbjr78 is on a distinguished road

Name: Gary
gbjr78's Tacoma Gallery
I love lamp... uuuh i mean rock.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #27
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Why is it bad to be stuck between a rock and a hard place?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #28
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
What quality of drill and bits do I need to drill a 5/8" hole into precambrian rock?
What type of rock? Why does it matter that's it Precambrian age? a masonry bit shoud work fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I can get you some awesome radiolarian chert from the Franciscan Assemblage. Serpentinite, too. Chicks dig it. "Ooooh, it's so smooooth."
I did my masters thesis in Franciscan Group. I have several of the cherts and serpentinites, and a reall awesome pillow basalt altered to greenstone.

Btw, fun fact of the day: Serpentinite is what they make asbestos out of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
do you study crack rocks?
[QUOTE=95SLE;4745330]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhaul-n-azz View Post
This about sums up what I do.
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Geologist[/QUOTE]

LOL

Geologists are 'scientists' with unnatural obsessions with beer and rocks. Often too intelligent to do monotonous sciences like biology, chemistry, or physics, geologists devote their time to mud-worrying, volcano poking, fault finding, bouldering, dust-collecting, and high-risk colouring. One of the main difficulties in communicating with geologists is their belief that a million years is a short amount of time and their heads are harder than rocks. Consequently, such abstract concepts as "Tuesday Morning" and Lunchtime are completely beyond their comprehension. (This difficulty generates problems particularly when dealing with the girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse and attempting to explain why you were "gone for so long" or why something is taking "so long to occur.")
beer and rocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
I tried to pick this up as a souvenir last summer but it wouldn't fit in the truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
why does it burn when i pee?
I blame Lisa's huge rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
What happens if you Microwave a rock?
The rock will get warmer. Unless it has metallic minerals in it, and then it will spark, and potentially hatch dinosaurs that will trash your house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunner03 View Post
Thanks for clearing up my queries about quaries.

Keith, I went backpacking in New Mexico and was advised to crap under large rocks to keep from animals rooting through it and eating it. Does this hurt the rock's feelings?

Another time I was camping and threw a rock down at a tree and my friend walked out from behnd the tree and it smacked him in the head. My friend was fine but did we need to get the rock medical help?
The rock was attacking him as revenge for your defecation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
is dirt just tiny rocks?
Yes, it is. It's recycled from what used to be solid rock, and is now weathered down to dirt and dust by various erosional processes.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #30
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Any more questions? I've invited our other TW geologists, BenWA, geotaco, and bethes, to stop by as well. Bout to be some learnin going on in here!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #31
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, it is. It's recycled from what used to be solid rock, and is now weathered down to dirt and dust by various erosional processes.
What kind of rock makes the best gardening soil? You know... after said erosional processes...
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #32
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You can compress Rock, but not water....therefore, water is harder....
Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #33
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Was this in response to a question?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #34
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
What kind of rock makes the best gardening soil? You know... after said erosional processes...

Quote:
actually, "hardness" is the resistance of a rock to being scratched. You are thinking of the poissons ratio of the two materials. Water has a higher poissons ratio, meaning it translates deformation in one dimension to the other two dimensions rather easily.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #36
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

actually, "hardness" is the resistance of a rock to being scratched. You are thinking of the poissons ratio of the two materials. Water has a higher poissons ratio, meaning it translates deformation in one dimension to the other two dimensions rather easily.
You ever tried to scratch water?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #37
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You ever tried to scratch water?
Water, sir, is a liquid @ STP
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #38
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What happens if you Microwave a rock?

Are Rocks really Pets?
Yes, but be sure you get your pet rock from a reputable geologist, make sure it did not come from a pet rock mill. Usually those rocks are treated, and because they deal with so many rocks, you never really know if it truly is moss agate or phiroza agate or some sort of mix.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #39
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of rock is Nibiru made of and what is the effect of man-made global warming on mantle of the Earth ?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #40
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunner03 View Post
Why is it bad to be stuck between a rock and a hard place?
Why is this even a question, it is clearly better to be stuck between a rock and a soft place.

Let's stick to real questions please, not ones that common sense could give you a simple answer for.