1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Murses and Respiratory Therapists?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by TNDrew, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Jun 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    RollTideRN

RollTideRN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barrett
    Robertsdale,AL Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    custom billet grill, behind grill light bar, 4 hella 500's, custom ham radio install.
    ER Murse here. From Lower Alabama. RN in 4 states. Paramedic in 2. Its hard to keep up with all the certs...

2. Jun 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    Both my wife and I are nurses, and my wife went back to nursing school at 34. Age has nothing to do with it, and it would be illegal for a school to discriminate you based on that. Many of the newer type programs have found that adult learners are great students and motivated, even to the point where they cater to them more than the 18 year old groups

I dont know about your area, up here in PA the nursing schools are REALLY short intructors which means there arent as many slots as their could/should be so there can be a waiting list for people to get in. If you work at it, you will definatly be successful.

Dont even consider becoming an LPN, go directly for RN. It is one of the few careers that you can get a diploma or an associates degree and make 50k per year. I am not gonna lie, it is hard work, long days, and many of us start out working nights, but after 10 years working in many different critical care areas I can truly say I love my job and dont regret one second that I chose it for a career.

The other plus is there is are a HUGE number of options once you get done school. You can work ED, ICU, Floor nursing, cath lab, community health, hell you can even get your masters and become a NP making over 100k per year. The opportunities are endless

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nurses in Tacomas are awesome!

3. Jun 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Nice set-up Keith!

4. Jun 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    poison

poison Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB SR5
    topper, bed cabinet/storage system, roof racks, iPod adapter, rooftop tent
    Thanks. Just learned that just as I became eligible to go remote, the money for the remote program may have dried up... I told them that's fine. I am one of the top performers in the center. If they would rather replace me than find the money to get me remote, they can do that. They have until 9/1... So it goes...

5. Jun 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    BigAlole

BigAlole Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    11PreRunnerSR5
    Been a Murse for 10 yrs. All in the operating room. Been in management for 2 yrs now and looking to get my MBA. Being salaried is nice but sometimes I put in more than 10-12 hrs a day. I think that's because I like to cover down on all my staff across the shifts.
    If I may say so... for any folks that are getting ready to go to school or graduate, OR nursing can be very rewarding and is not normally not covered in most accredited BSN programs. Ask your instructors about time in the OR. Like most RN positions the OR is fun but hard to get into unless you were once a Surgical Tech. or Attendant of some sort. OR RNs are highly sought after.

6. Jun 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Keith ,Nice pics also. Digging the RTT.

7. Jun 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Oh hell yeah! OR is the best! 8 years and would've been fine to stay longer. When I was graduating the local OR was desperate for help and hired 3 of us and had a tech instructor from a local cc provide extra perjoperative instruction. But yeah I was nabbing all the extra OR time I could during clinical as a student.

8. Jun 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's

Level I Trauma Center Emergency Assistant Nurse Manager here.:)
    Bona fide adrenalin junky!

9. Jun 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    tacoma4x4girl

tacoma4x4girl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well I hope I do good with it and I'm making the right choice. I wanted a job that would always be around, have plenty of job openings and paid good.
    The hospital where I want to work told me the base starting pay and it's nice(we aren't paid down here like other places)for here at least.

I want a nice paying job since I'm single so I can keep getting fine Tacomas and fixing them up, etc.

I had even looked into a computer degree if for some reason I didn't make the RN program, but I keep hearing you need at least 4 four years to make any money with it.

10. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    tacoma4x4girl

Member:
    I got my official acceptance letter and I turn in a couple of papers Monday morning and I'm in. I register August 16 and start classes August 20.

My prerequisites I can take online. Will it hurt me as far as being that much harder if I do that?

11. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    mgfab3

mgfab3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Im a RT at University of Penn. Up until 4 years ago I had no idea such a position existed. Its amazing how chance encounters can change your life. Best decision I ever made was to go back to school to be a RT. Everyday is different and it keeps me on my toes. And I love being able to challenge the Drs. when it come to mechanical ventilation. Highly recommend this as a career.

12. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    TNDrew

TNDrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    usually there is a lot more busy work with online classes, but that doesn't necessarily mean harder.

13. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.
    murse here for 6 yrs

14. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    tacoma4x4girl

Member:
    I've heard just more reading than going on campus all the time. I was thinking till I start my actual nursing classes I could work till then.

I know I want it more now than when I was 18, back then I didn't care as much, my parents weren't rich, but I got alot of what I wanted being an only child so it's different now. I just don't want to mess up

15. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    TNDrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    What classes are you thinking about taking on line? Do you have to take gen ed classes like psychology and english and stuff?

16. Jun 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    tacoma4x4girl

Member:
    Yes. We have to take 4 prerequisites classes and go through an interview process and all that to be accepted into the nursing program.

Eng Comp I, Psychology, Human A&P I and Microbiology has to be taken before the nursing application is to be turned in.

Then there are more general classes like A&P II, Sociology, etc.

17. Jul 1, 2012 at 2:20 AM
    TNDrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    Comp 1, psychology and sociology could all be taken on line and probably be pretty easy. Micro and AP could be tricky. Usually any class that is required by all majors , gen ed, like english, math, psychology, some sort of fine arts, etc are offered online and are pretty easy

18. Jul 1, 2012 at 4:35 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    Online isnt bad, I did most of my bsn that way. Just organize yourself and you will be fine

19. Jul 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    sandman29306

sandman29306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Icon COs and rear resis, Deaver leafs. ARB locker in rear. ARB front bumper...Pissed at Gadget for abandoning the Rotrex 3.4 supercharger.
    Why do you say this?

20. Jul 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    sandman29306

sandman29306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Icon COs and rear resis, Deaver leafs. ARB locker in rear. ARB front bumper...Pissed at Gadget for abandoning the Rotrex 3.4 supercharger.
    +1 on the murse list too.

To Top