Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Murses and Respiratory Therapists?

Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
RollTideRN is on a distinguished road
Army: MP Corrections (VETERAN)
Name: Barrett
RollTideRN's Tacoma Gallery
ER Murse here. From Lower Alabama. RN in 4 states. Paramedic in 2. Its hard to keep up with all the certs...
Old 06-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #22
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma4x4girl View Post
In south MS we also have to take the TEAS test and ACT has to be a min overall and min in math and reading.

I think everything you learn more hands on but can be an RN that way I know it will be hard work, but I know it before starting it.

The main thing I am worried about is I'm 31 going back to do it and I've been told that if you work at it I stand as much of a chance as anyone else at being accepted. I should have done this at 18 but I was hard headed and didn't know what I wanted. My cousin was 41 when she went through it and said she doesn't know anyone that tried that didn't get into it so I hope that is the case.

I know there is a difference now with me than when I was 18, I want it more now.
Both my wife and I are nurses, and my wife went back to nursing school at 34. Age has nothing to do with it, and it would be illegal for a school to discriminate you based on that. Many of the newer type programs have found that adult learners are great students and motivated, even to the point where they cater to them more than the 18 year old groups

I dont know about your area, up here in PA the nursing schools are REALLY short intructors which means there arent as many slots as their could/should be so there can be a waiting list for people to get in. If you work at it, you will definatly be successful.

Dont even consider becoming an LPN, go directly for RN. It is one of the few careers that you can get a diploma or an associates degree and make 50k per year. I am not gonna lie, it is hard work, long days, and many of us start out working nights, but after 10 years working in many different critical care areas I can truly say I love my job and dont regret one second that I chose it for a career.

The other plus is there is are a HUGE number of options once you get done school. You can work ED, ICU, Floor nursing, cath lab, community health, hell you can even get your masters and become a NP making over 100k per year. The opportunities are endless

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nurses in Tacomas are awesome!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Nice set-up Keith!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
poison is on a distinguished road
Name: Keith
poison's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Nice set-up Keith!
Thanks. Just learned that just as I became eligible to go remote, the money for the remote program may have dried up... I told them that's fine. I am one of the top performers in the center. If they would rather replace me than find the money to get me remote, they can do that. They have until 9/1... So it goes...
Old 06-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #25
BigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigAlole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: VAQ-130, VA-155 (Decom)
Name: Al
BigAlole's Tacoma Gallery
1st Time hearing Murse as well....

Been a Murse for 10 yrs. All in the operating room. Been in management for 2 yrs now and looking to get my MBA. Being salaried is nice but sometimes I put in more than 10-12 hrs a day. I think that's because I like to cover down on all my staff across the shifts.
If I may say so... for any folks that are getting ready to go to school or graduate, OR nursing can be very rewarding and is not normally not covered in most accredited BSN programs. Ask your instructors about time in the OR. Like most RN positions the OR is fun but hard to get into unless you were once a Surgical Tech. or Attendant of some sort. OR RNs are highly sought after.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #26
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Keith ,Nice pics also. Digging the RTT.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #27

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlole View Post
Been a Murse for 10 yrs. All in the operating room. Been in management for 2 yrs now and looking to get my MBA. Being salaried is nice but sometimes I put in more than 10-12 hrs a day. I think that's because I like to cover down on all my staff across the shifts.
If I may say so... for any folks that are getting ready to go to school or graduate, OR nursing can be very rewarding and is not normally not covered in most accredited BSN programs. Ask your instructors about time in the OR. Like most RN positions the OR is fun but hard to get into unless you were once a Surgical Tech. or Attendant of some sort. OR RNs are highly sought after.
Oh hell yeah! OR is the best! 8 years and would've been fine to stay longer. When I was graduating the local OR was desperate for help and hired 3 of us and had a tech instructor from a local cc provide extra perjoperative instruction. But yeah I was nabbing all the extra OR time I could during clinical as a student.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #28
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
How many of you guys are murses or RT's here? Im a murse, worked in the ER for a while and got sick of low life scum coming in for some pills and when our hard ass docs didn't give them anything, and then taking shit for it. The last straw was when I had to write an apology note for telling one "I'm sorry, but Im not getting yelled by a doctor because you want something better than a 'hydro'." Now I'm in NICU taking care of their babies hahaha

Level I Trauma Center Emergency Assistant Nurse Manager here.
Bona fide adrenalin junky!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #29
tacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant future
tacoma4x4girl's Tacoma Gallery
Well I hope I do good with it and I'm making the right choice. I wanted a job that would always be around, have plenty of job openings and paid good.
The hospital where I want to work told me the base starting pay and it's nice(we aren't paid down here like other places)for here at least.

I want a nice paying job since I'm single so I can keep getting fine Tacomas and fixing them up, etc.

I had even looked into a computer degree if for some reason I didn't make the RN program, but I keep hearing you need at least 4 four years to make any money with it.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #30
tacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant futuretacoma4x4girl has a brilliant future
I got my official acceptance letter and I turn in a couple of papers Monday morning and I'm in. I register August 16 and start classes August 20.

My prerequisites I can take online. Will it hurt me as far as being that much harder if I do that?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #31
mgfab3 is on a distinguished road
mgfab3's Tacoma Gallery
Im a RT at University of Penn. Up until 4 years ago I had no idea such a position existed. Its amazing how chance encounters can change your life. Best decision I ever made was to go back to school to be a RT. Everyday is different and it keeps me on my toes. And I love being able to challenge the Drs. when it come to mechanical ventilation. Highly recommend this as a career.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #32
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma4x4girl View Post
I got my official acceptance letter and I turn in a couple of papers Monday morning and I'm in. I register August 16 and start classes August 20.

My prerequisites I can take online. Will it hurt me as far as being that much harder if I do that?
usually there is a lot more busy work with online classes, but that doesn't necessarily mean harder.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
usually there is a lot more busy work with online classes, but that doesn't necessarily mean harder.
I've heard just more reading than going on campus all the time. I was thinking till I start my actual nursing classes I could work till then.

I know I want it more now than when I was 18, back then I didn't care as much, my parents weren't rich, but I got alot of what I wanted being an only child so it's different now. I just don't want to mess up
Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #35
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
What classes are you thinking about taking on line? Do you have to take gen ed classes like psychology and english and stuff?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #36
Yes. We have to take 4 prerequisites classes and go through an interview process and all that to be accepted into the nursing program.

Eng Comp I, Psychology, Human A&P I and Microbiology has to be taken before the nursing application is to be turned in.

Then there are more general classes like A&P II, Sociology, etc.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #37

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Comp 1, psychology and sociology could all be taken on line and probably be pretty easy. Micro and AP could be tricky. Usually any class that is required by all majors , gen ed, like english, math, psychology, some sort of fine arts, etc are offered online and are pretty easy
Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #38
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
Online isnt bad, I did most of my bsn that way. Just organize yourself and you will be fine
Old 07-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #39
sandman29306 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
sandman29306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
CRNAs do indeed kill it money wise, but it seems like that would be the only reason to do anesthesia.
Why do you say this?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #40
sandman29306 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
sandman29306's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the murse list too.