Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Murses and Respiratory Therapists?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #41
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman29306 View Post
Why do you say this?
Oh the old saying is anesthesia is 99% utter boredom and 1% shear terror....I've known alot of crnas over the years and very few seem happy with their jobs. Most are very sharp and do a great job however.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #42
CallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the roughCallMeCesar is a jewel in the rough
CallMeCesar's Tacoma Gallery
Interested In Nursing or RT

Hey I was looking into possibly starting a new career. I've been working in a steel mill for the past 12 years and i'm ready to move on. I was EMT certified about 5 years ago when I thought I may be laid off. I didn't lose my job so I never applied anything I learned. But the medical field has been in my head ever since I have been told about RT and Nursing can you guys recommend one or the other. Schooling needed, expected income, i'm in So Cal I would really appreciate some info on schools with a good reputation. Any info would be really appreciated.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #43
sandman29306 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
sandman29306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Oh the old saying is anesthesia is 99% utter boredom and 1% shear terror....I've known alot of crnas over the years and very few seem happy with their jobs. Most are very sharp and do a great job however.

As a CRNA I found your first post about my job amusing, talking about how the money was the only reason you would see going into it.

Its always enlightening to see how others view my job. Mine is one in which most people don't have a clue about in general and especially about what goes on in the OR in detail.

Most CRNAs, at least in the southeast, are pretty damn happy.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #44
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As a CRNA I found your first post about my job amusing, talking about how the money was the only reason you would see going into it.

Its always enlightening to see how others view my job. Mine is one in which most people don't have a clue about in general and especially about what goes on in the OR in detail.

Sandman, do you ever work in L&D OR? If so, probably been in there with you a few times.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #45
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
Flight Murse here.

Background of ER for 5 years, flight nurse for 3 years, paramedic for 3 years.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #46
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
Applying for CRNA school next Feb.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #47
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport11 View Post
Flight Murse here.

Background of ER for 5 years, flight nurse for 3 years, paramedic for 3 years.

Flight murse was pretty much my goal from the time I applied to nursing school. Things changed tho, closest thing I'll get to that is maybe being on my units transport team one day. Went to school with a flight medic trying to get his nursing license. He said it was the same job description at a pretty good pay raise.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #48
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yeah, I probably way over-generalized my statements. Most of the negativity I see (especially recently) is due to dipshit administrators trying to make them do more work and take more risk and more call with no change in compensation. I've also witnessed a great deal of resentment towards many ologists as well. I'm sure these are just typical issues that any group deals with and we always like to "poke the bears" so to say.

Really though, I'm just jealous of the dough y'all command. 7-8 years ago crnas around here were starting at $150k, way more than any other midlevel positions. Our group here does an outstanding job however and deserve what they get. I wouldn't trade jobs however, no thankyou.....
Old 07-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #49
poison is on a distinguished road
Name: Keith
poison's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
Flight murse was pretty much my goal from the time I applied to nursing school. Things changed tho, closest thing I'll get to that is maybe being on my units transport team one day. Went to school with a flight medic trying to get his nursing license. He said it was the same job description at a pretty good pay raise.
I too wanted to be a flight nurse early on. Then I received report from one in the ER one night on a "stroke alert". They had flown over the continental divide, and back, in a rain storm, at night to get this guy who had onset of symptoms 2 weeks ago. Basically the doc at this rural hospital just freaked and called for a helicopter as soon as he heard "right sided weakness" on the ambulance report.

I know if I had risked my neck for that kind of nonsense, I'd have ripped that doc a new asshole... And then gotten fired the next day. Better to leave that job to someone with way more patience than me.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
Sandman, do you ever work in L&D OR? If so, probably been in there with you a few times.
I don't know how you do it. I had my name in the hat for the OR / OB hybrid system we run and decided not to.

I'm a few floors down from that dreadful place you work....slummin it in the main OR.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport11 View Post
Applying for CRNA school next Feb.
Good luck.

If its UTC's program, shoot me a PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Yeah, I probably way over-generalized my statements. Most of the negativity I see (especially recently) is due to dipshit administrators trying to make them do more work and take more risk and more call with no change in compensation. I've also witnessed a great deal of resentment towards many ologists as well. I'm sure these are just typical issues that any group deals with and we always like to "poke the bears" so to say.

Really though, I'm just jealous of the dough y'all command. 7-8 years ago crnas around here were starting at $150k, way more than any other midlevel positions. Our group here does an outstanding job however and deserve what they get. I wouldn't trade jobs however, no thankyou.....

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just giving you crap man. You at least seem to have a clue at what goes on.

Most people don't and your comment is the #1 bashing statement I hear.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #53
BRUINS 4 LIFE
drade is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrade is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrade is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrade is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrade is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrade is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrade is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrade is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrade is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrade is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrade is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
drade's Tacoma Gallery
Mursing student here University of Southern Maine. On my 3rd year (60+ credits at this point) and start my clinical in the spring at Maine Medical Center. I have been sitting in lectures and labs for too long now and want to start treating and educating patients. Something I lack in life is the ability to give valuable advice. When spring comes, I hope to achieve more in the last two years of my schooling compared to the last six years of my life presently. Nursing is a great field, filled with great people.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #54

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know how you do it. I had my name in the hat for the OR / OB hybrid system we run and decided not to.

I'm a few floors down from that dreadful place you work....slummin it in the main OR.
Theres nothing like the smell of a c-section at 6 in the morning. Makes breakfast so much easier to eat. Haha
Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #55
Member...?
Hank4444 will become famous soon enoughHank4444 will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
Hank4444's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideRN View Post
ER Murse here. From Lower Alabama. RN in 4 states. Paramedic in 2. Its hard to keep up with all the certs...
I've been a murse for 5 yrs in the ER in lower Alabama... I'm at South..where are you?

Quote:
Good luck.

If its UTC's program, shoot me a PM.
Any advice for someone getting prepared for CRNA school?
GRE is coming up...
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #56
RollTideRN is on a distinguished road
Army: MP Corrections (VETERAN)
Name: Barrett
RollTideRN's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Hank4444;5595163]I've been a murse for 5 yrs in the ER in lower Alabama... I'm at South..where are you?

was a paramedic for newmans and Mobile county then worked as a medic at sacred heart. got my nursing degree and worked at south baldwin and sacred heart.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #57
TiYo is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
TiYo's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a newly graduated Murse. Not and RN yet though, just LVN. I'm in the process of taking my boards or more like I've been putting it off. But yeah, hopefully soon and then I can try to work. Then only thing that concerns me is the lack of experience I think I've had. I haven't had any cases during my rotatins when inserting "this" or "that". So that really is nerve recking and a confidence killer. But hopefully I'll be up to the challenge.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #58
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
I install nurse call systems. What do you guys think of them and how can they be improved?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #59
RollTideRN is on a distinguished road
Army: MP Corrections (VETERAN)
Name: Barrett
RollTideRN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
I install nurse call systems. What do you guys think of them and how can they be improved?

i smell a troll.....
Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #60
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
haha I wish I knew what you ment by that.