LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Anybody here have a B.A. degree in Modern Language Studies?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody here have a B.A. degree in Modern Language Studies?

Hi Tacomaworld,

To make my dilemma short (and yes I saw the other thread already ), I've come to the realization (like many others ) that the degree I'm currently working on (B.A. in Kinesiology, Specialization: Athletic Medicine, basically it's only prepping me for Physical Therapy school) no longer interests me or the idea of a job in that field really doesn't "jive" with me anymore. After this semester ends I'll have 80 hours total towards the 120 required to graduate. So I'll only need 40 more to graduate.

I have also realized that I love to learn new languages and that I have a knack for picking them up pretty quickly. Now for my question, well it's in the title to the OP: Does any one here have a Degree in Modern Language Studies? If you do, have you gotten a job related to that degree? oh and what language? Keep in mind that this is a Liberal and Fine Arts degree. So those of you quick to judge on those type of degrees please don't.

I've been studying German on my own time and I have realized that I really love learning new languages more than anything else. Ultimately I would love to be able to speak German, Russian, Korean, Chinese, and Arabic. That is a very long list I know haha.

Spanish is my first language, then English. So right now I'm working on a third on my own time. "Ich bin vier und zwanzig jahre alt."

So if I was to try and do a double major on my current Kinesiology degree, AND a degree in Modern Language Studies with German being my specialization basically all the credits from my Kinesiology degree would roll over into the electives of the Modern Languages, for a total of 78 hours towards the Language degree. That leaves only 42 hours (basically the Core German courses) to finish.

That being said, given the choice, would y'all do a double major if you were in my situation, or just focus on what really interests you (only one degree)?

I feel like if I just dropped my current major to do the other one it would have all been wasted time. I also feel that if I do a double, it might be more advantageous for me in the future, but it would also postpone graduation by atleast a year and a half.

Long rant but I would sincerely love to hear/read all of y'alls opinions on the matter.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Ink...

If you have that much invested in a kinesiology degree, I certainly wouldn't walk away. If a double major is too much, consider a couple minors in languages.

I have a liberal arts degree ... BA in Religious Studies from UC Davis ... and while I actually wouldn't give up my degree for anything (because it's an enduring passion of mine) ... I don't make my money with it. I make my money in computers.

There's an old joke ... What did the liberal arts major say to the engineering major? "You want fries with that?"

While I believe fields like language and cultural studies, philosophy, and other reflective fields are vitally important (and our culture will swing back that way some day), right now today's employers couldn't give a shit.

They want hard skills. Now translation is a good skill. But even translation is becoming a "computer science" field.

"Physical therapy" is a great, in demand fallback to have as you pursue your passion of language studies. It's a nice arrow to have in your quiver, and I'd finish it up.

Our passions often don't become our careers. That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue it. But don't walk away from the investments you've already made. As you pursue your passion over the long term, physical therapy might be what pays the bills.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Jedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 0621 Field Radio Operator, Cpl
Name: Josh
Jedi7Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Coming from an Electronic engineer...

j/k

If you love to learn new languages, then go with that. All depends on what you want to do to get paid and enjoy what you do. I would go with Chinese or Arabic, and really learn it well (speak, read, write). I had a freind in the Marine Corps who got out, went to college, got a liberal arts degree in chinese. Now he is Counter Intel (spy) agent for the CIA, and makes damn good money.

Just a thought.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hey Bryan,

thanks for the words man. I've heard too many stories of people that have Liberal Arts majors and no jobs after college, and it somewhat worries me if I decide to take ONLY THAT route.

I don't know if it's the Chemistry class that I'm currently taking that is making me hate my degree haha. It is the only class I'm failing. I'm taking it again over the summer though, along with two other classes. As for the fall semester I'm still not too sure if I should go for the double major, or sign up for the minor only.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Ultimately I would like to work for the government in some linguistics field. Your friend sounds like a good role model for me.

Speak other languages and get paid to do so, sounds like a great life to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi7Taco View Post
Coming from an Electronic engineer...

j/k

If you love to learn new languages, then go with that. All depends on what you want to do to get paid and enjoy what you do. I would go with Chinese or Arabic, and really learn it well (speak, read, write). I had a freind in the Marine Corps who got out, went to college, got a liberal arts degree in chinese. Now he is Counter Intel (spy) agent for the CIA, and makes damn good money.

Just a thought.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink junky View Post
I don't know if it's the Chemistry class that I'm currently taking that is making me hate my degree haha. It is the only class I'm failing.
Would that chemistry class be Organic Chemistry? O Chem is often used as the "make or break" class. Every field's got one. But you get over that hump, you might find some smooth sailing.

As for languages, Jedi's right on the money with Chinese and Arabic. Those would be the two to specialize in. Both are in demand. You mention that you're already bilingual in Spanish and English. That opens up a lot of doors too.