Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Student behavior

Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Student behavior

Hey, guys need some advice and I know several of you guys are still in school and several off you teach school.

Here is my situation, I'm going to be long term subbing in a classroom where the teacher is going to resigning this year. Basically I need to kick ass and get this job.
However, I have a two classes where there is a couple kids who are problems.

One class its just one student who constantly feels the need to open his mouth and ask stupid questions, talk to me about stupid stuff, etc. The rest of the class is very quite and ignores his remarks.

Opinions on what to do with this student, I.E what do your teachers do etc.

Second class, this class is a group from hell. About half of this class are on IEP's and are discipline problems. Why the all got stuck in the same class who knows...
The principal and the teacher who was in this classroom before have long since given up their behavior. What would you do to this class?

I also really would prefer to keep these students out of the office as much as possible, the less the administration see the students the better off it reflects on me.

Keep in mind corporal punishment is illegal in Ohio.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
I feel like this is not a good idea.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
X2
Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Well when I was in Junior High, one of my teachers used too make us stand in the corner and face the wall, it was awkward...
Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
watch stand and deliver

then do what that guy did

No really I have nothing, Im curious to see the other responses though.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
Because fuck you that's why...
Trigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
Trigo's Tacoma Gallery
what age group of students we talkin about?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Were you ever taught proper M of I (method of instruction) techniques? If not try to get a copy of something from your Armed Forces. Obviously teaching children is not the same but the methodology would still work. And one piece of advice I can give is never EVER ask the prisoners how to run the prison.

Frank
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sophomores in American History.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Trigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trigo's Tacoma Gallery
what you should do IMO is talk to them at the beginning of the class and tell them they can either behave themselves so they can have a more free going class where they can have group like activities or they can do individual work for the whole period... somthing along those lines
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
For the one idiot, I would say in front of the class something that is funny with the jist that he would be kicked out of the class if he continued down the "idiot" road...

For the other class I would do something like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigo View Post
what you should do IMO is talk to them at the beginning of the class and tell them they can either behave themselves so they can have a more free going class where they can have group like activities or they can do individual work for the whole period... somthing along those lines
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Call out the kid who talks all the time, embarrass him. He will shut his mouth
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
For the one class that is full of hell:

Just walk into class and just begin whatever you do, I assume they'll begin to talk. Pick out the kid that is the loudest or talking the most and just straight say go to the office. Send him to the office to do the classwork alone. Nothing sets the mood in a classroom like that.

I'm a Sophomore in highschool.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PkTaco View Post
One class its just one student who constantly feels the need to open his mouth and ask stupid questions, talk to me about stupid stuff, etc. The rest of the class is very quite and ignores his remarks.
Invite him to continue his extended discussions with you after school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkTaco;4982404
Second class, this class is a group from hell. About half of this class are on IEP's and are discipline problems. Why the all got stuck in the same class who knows...
The principal and the teacher who was in this classroom before have long since given up their behavior. What would you do to this class?
They all got stuck in one class to contain the problem to one room. Better to have one just one classroom that suffers instead of 20 or 30. No clue how to handle that one.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
PinkTaco24 is on a distinguished road
PinkTaco24's Tacoma Gallery
you get what you expect. if they see you have high expectations of them, and IF you can exercise a little patience while grooming them into the adults they are to become (as is a large part of a teacher's responsibilities), then maybe you will have something to work with. this is not just a job. if it is, then perhaps you should consider another profession. keeping the kids out of the office because it reflects poorly on you should not be the reason you want to keep the kids out of the office; you should want to have as much interaction time with them as possible. kids have such a greater keen insight than adults realize. they pick up on gestures, facial expressions, voice tones, body language....everything. in all you do, stay positive and it will eventually rub off. just don't do like the rest of society and "give up" on them, because that's the whole problem now and they understand this; therefore, they do what is expected of them, which is often times absolutely nothing.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigo View Post
I hate doing group activities. I'm a very authoritative teacher. I like my classes quite. This will not work well for my teaching style what so ever.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #17

Trigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I hate doing group activities. I'm a very authoritative teacher. I like my classes quite. This will not work well for my teaching style what so ever.
well it doesn't have to be full on group activities it could just be letting them chat at a controlled volume while they do there work
Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTaco24 View Post
you get what you expect. if they see you have high expectations of them, and IF you can exercise a little patience while grooming them into the adults they are to become (as is a large part of a teacher's responsibilities), then maybe you will have something to work with. this is not just a job. if it is, then perhaps you should consider another profession. keeping the kids out of the office because it reflects poorly on you should not be the reason you want to keep the kids out of the office; you should want to have as much interaction time with them as possible. kids have such a greater keen insight than adults realize. they pick up on gestures, facial expressions, voice tones, body language....everything. in all you do, stay positive and it will eventually rub off. just don't do like the rest of society and "give up" on them, because that's the whole problem now and they understand this; therefore, they do what is expected of them, which is often times absolutely nothing.

I get what your saying for sure! I realize that I shouldn't want to send them to the office for my own benefit. However, realize where I'm coming from with my argument on the situation.
I love teaching and I don't mind the b.s. that occasionally comes with it from students. Often times the problem students become some of my favorite students.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
PinkTaco24 is on a distinguished road
PinkTaco24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I get what your saying for sure! I realize that I shouldn't want to send them to the office for my own benefit. However, realize where I'm coming from with my argument on the situation.
I love teaching and I don't mind the b.s. that occasionally comes with it from students. Often times the problem students become some of my favorite students.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler1 View Post
Rewards go farther than punishments. Stupid stuff too. I use fake money as rewards for getting to class on time, right answers on board work, and a fat reward for 100's. They use this money to buy trinkets or tickets to weird party's I throw (said party can be a 2 minute Popsicle speed eating thing, or just a bag of popcorn poped when they get there). I took over a tough group this year and we are making it. We still have our moments but a rigid schedule and lots of different rewards keeps blood out of the water. Treat junk behavior like junk mail. Throw it away and keep moving. If they can get you out of your groove with little stuff it will make for long days. Let them vote for trivial stuff. Pick out two acceptable outcomes and let them pick one sometimes. It will give them a little ownership and still take you where you wanted to go.
What grade did you take over?

I agree with giving kids ownership of the classroom in controlled amounts for sure.