Notices

how did you decide on your career?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #21
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
A passion for the adult entertainment industry caught my interest at a young age. Interesting enough, at this point in my career, I have my sites set on performing in 40 adult entertainment films in one month. I know some of you are saying no way but, we all should be goal oriented in our own occupation. This surley would secure a place for me in the industry's tainted history.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #22
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
Fire/EMS Service for sure...i work with 7 other men that would give their lives for me. we grill every shift, relax on our lazy boys and watch movies on our 50" TV, go into our rooms and play black ops/mw...and giggle like little girls because you just dominated your friend next door...that and well...the fires/ems calls, training, discipline, tradition, and making the Chief happy...it's all awesomeness brah.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #23
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
I always like messing with cars...so i decided i wanted to paint and do body work etc...then i had a bad motorcycle wreck. changed my world broke a few bones etc. now ive gone back to school and im working on my bachelors in nursing ill be able to make really good money and pretty much work anywhere with ease...

personally youre 20 i would get a 4 year degree then go join the military as an officer. you can do something there even put in your years for retirement...a lot of people here are suggesting fire etc. here in GA you can be a volunteer fireman you help out when needed and pay into the the retirement and after 20 you get a retirement. then do something else and put in 20 you could have a bunch of retirements vested before youre 50....

if i was 18 i would have so done that...ive got a buddy who is an officer in the navy hes not active so he gets to pick and choose when he wants to work...he has been in germany for the last year. he works as a merchant marine when hes not doing the navy thing making 100k+ a year...

if you really want a sweet gig youd get into the maritime industry as a river pilot they make a percentage of whatever the ships value is to basically valet park it in the port. here once you become a full fledged pilot starting pay is 500k+ the first year

the railroad is a stable career choice during the depression some of the most well off people were freight workers because the freight still has to move because people have to eat and whatnot...my dad is an engineer and makes about 100k a year to sit on the train and go forward and backwards lol
Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #24
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Got tired of punching the clock 9a-6p m-f with some sat. Started a small business in Pool & Spa Maintenence . Happy .
Old 04-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #25
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Yeah about to start working on my business major
Don't do it. Seriously. Not trying to disparage the business majors of the world, but I have a business degree that is essentially useless. Business degrees are degrees made of hot air and BS. Get a degree with some meat on it: engineering, science, anything technical. No kidding, if I was sending a kid to college and they wanted to major in business I wouldn't help them pay for a dime of it. If you really want to do business, do it as a minor and get an engineering degree. It'll serve you better in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj8259 View Post
Do anything with a state or federal retirement. If public safety isn't for you, look at your local city HR website and apply for anything. I don't know a whole lot of government workers hurting for money. Also, a lot of the time, they pay for school.
You don't know many government workers, do you? Most of them make significantly below what they would make in private industry. My dad worked in state government for 35 years and my first year out of college I made more than he did.

I did a business degree, graduated, found out it wasn't really worth much and on top of that I hated every second of my life working in the business world, and went back to school for another bachelor's. I had loved my geology class when I took it as an elective so I tried another geology course then declared my major. I never regret going back to school, only the time and money I wasted on my business degree. I should have changed my major three weeks into my intro geology class. When you find what you love, you'll know it.

My advice: take a LOT of different classes in your first two years of college. See what you like, see what the opportunities are in each field and where each will be headed in the next 5-10 years. Talk to career services, attend job fairs, do internships and job shadowing. Find something you love, something that you WANT to go to class for, something that is easy for you to pay attention in class and you want to learn more about. Declare that as your major, even if it means college takes an extra year. That extra year will be 100% worth it in terms of loving your life and loving your career. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethes View Post
Don't do it. Seriously. Not trying to disparage the business majors of the world, but I have a business degree that is essentially useless. Business degrees are degrees made of hot air and BS. Get a degree with some meat on it: engineering, science, anything technical. No kidding, if I was sending a kid to college and they wanted to major in business I wouldn't help them pay for a dime of it.
Bingo.

I was totally serious with the "so 1983" comment.

In the 80s, major financial firms were headhunting MBAs right and left, and anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence could net 6 digits their first year.
Not anymore.
The MBA still has some meaning, but the BA is as worthless as a BA in "liberal arts"... It's only positive is that it shows that the prospective employee has the dedication to complete all of the required tasks to complete a 4+ year goal.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #27
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I like this thread. selling Nissan's aint cutting it!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #28
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
I was a mechanic certified by 7 manufacturers. I hated it as a career but it was a great hobby. what finally got me out of it was a car accident where I broke my back and can't wrench full time. I went back to school and am working on two degrees and plan on getting my EED. I'll eventually be a teacher and want to work with at risk youth.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #29
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't do it. Seriously. Not trying to disparage the business majors of the world, but I have a business degree that is essentially useless. Business degrees are degrees made of hot air and BS. Get a degree with some meat on it: engineering, science, anything technical. No kidding, if I was sending a kid to college and they wanted to major in business I wouldn't help them pay for a dime of it. If you really want to do business, do it as a minor and get an engineering degree. It'll serve you better in the long run.

You don't know many government workers, do you? Most of them make significantly below what they would make in private industry. My dad worked in state government for 35 years and my first year out of college I made more than he did.

I did a business degree, graduated, found out it wasn't really worth much and on top of that I hated every second of my life working in the business world, and went back to school for another bachelor's. I had loved my geology class when I took it as an elective so I tried another geology course then declared my major. I never regret going back to school, only the time and money I wasted on my business degree. I should have changed my major three weeks into my intro geology class. When you find what you love, you'll know it.

My advice: take a LOT of different classes in your first two years of college. See what you like, see what the opportunities are in each field and where each will be headed in the next 5-10 years. Talk to career services, attend job fairs, do internships and job shadowing. Find something you love, something that you WANT to go to class for, something that is easy for you to pay attention in class and you want to learn more about. Declare that as your major, even if it means college takes an extra year. That extra year will be 100% worth it in terms of loving your life and loving your career. Good luck!
I agree. However, there is nothing wrong with declaring a business degree to start and then exploring all options. There's more flexibility starting out with a major declared in business. And it's quite common for people to declare it and then transfer over to another major they like better. I did the engineering bit for a while....takes a real special person to do it. You either love it or hate it. And it'll work you hard. I was working on a Civil Engineering degree. Realised finally it wasn't for me. As of right now, I'm considered a Business Communications major, however I will eventually be in the Computer Information Systems programme and will graduate with a degree in that (eventually). Just need to raise the GPA and take some exams to get in. Only went with the B.C. first because it's a super easy switch into CIS. Now to just continue to get the rest of my shit together so I can switch.

And OP, I love business, economics, international business, and CIS. CIS will serve me best though, and it's easy to do up a minor in any of those.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #30
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
I agree. However, there is nothing wrong with declaring a business degree to start and then exploring all options. There's more flexibility starting out with a major declared in business. And it's quite common for people to declare it and then transfer over to another major they like better. I did the engineering bit for a while....takes a real special person to do it. You either love it or hate it. And it'll work you hard. I was working on a Civil Engineering degree. Realised finally it wasn't for me. As of right now, I'm considered a Business Communications major, however I will eventually be in the Computer Information Systems programme and will graduate with a degree in that (eventually). Just need to raise the GPA and take some exams to get in. Only went with the B.C. first because it's a super easy switch into CIS. Now to just continue to get the rest of my shit together so I can switch.

And OP, I love business, economics, international business, and CIS. CIS will serve me best though, and it's easy to do up a minor in any of those.
True! Both my universities would allow you to continue through your sophomore year without declaring a major. Some don't let you do that, so you pick a major by throwing darts at a board then go take classes to figure out where you really belong.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #31
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
True! Both my universities would allow you to continue through your sophomore year without declaring a major. Some don't let you do that, so you pick a major by throwing darts at a board then go take classes to figure out where you really belong.
True. Ive just found that declaring a business major allows for more flexibility to explore other areas. When I was an Engineer, there was a strict schedule we all had to follow. I'm lucky enough to be at one of the most prestigious business schools in the world. And even with a CIS degree, I'm still in the school. It's an easy switch, just requires a bunch of high standards to get in the CIS programme. The requirements are oddly higher than what they were when I was a Civil Engineer.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #32
Surfinpig is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: 88 MP is the patch but many other units
Name: Eric
Surfinpig's Tacoma Gallery
POLICE! Can't beat them, join them!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #34
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to sound like a recruiter but if you are not really sure of what you want to do the military is definitely something to consider. Even if you are still undecided as to what to do after you get out, the educational benefits will allow you considerable freedom to try different things and not get bogged down in student loan debt.

If the military doesn't appeal to you then I'd recommend a two-year AAS degree from a college that has close ties (and, preferably a paid internship with) the surrounding business community. I've taken three such courses and, not only were they a lot of fun, they all got me jobs. From the AAS you can go right to work or to a higher degree, or both.

Edit:

A third route to a career is to find an entry-level job with an employer who is willing to give hard workers the flexibility to chose their path within the company and to even foot the bill for more education. This might be a rare thing to encounter in today's economic times but it's not unheard of, especially if you are willing to work very hard. I have a cousin who worked his way up to an excellent career in the aircraft industry.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #35
Khmer Member
tacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
tacowestley's Tacoma Gallery
Great topic! 2nd year of college and I have tried out Engineering and Architectural drafting so far...I hope I have enough time to try other stuff too cuz im also getting my ge courses outta the way
Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #36
Señorita Member

bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
POLICE! Can't beat them, join them!
No!!! There's always a better choice

(Just kidding.

Sorta.)
Old 04-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #37
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
I found a job without much in common with any of my real world interests. I made sure it had solid hours, good pay, and is large enough to not go downhill without its employees seeing any signs. I made sure it is challenging, but not stressful.

Throughout my childhood I remember everyone (teachers, parents, friend's parents, friends, etc) saying to find a job doing something I love. Then I started talking to people who have had jobs I thought I would love and have been doing it for 10+ years. Racecar builders, mechanics, fabricators, construction, driving, etc. More often than not the people i talked to and through personal experience i found that jobs like these will drain the passion to do this stuff on your own time.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #38
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I welded in high school ag class in 11th grade and said I could do this for 40+ hours a week and get paid? It always interested me as to how metal could be melted and fused with electricity, needless to say the science behind it isn't cool but any time I weld a section of pipe or support and it holds and is sturdy I'm still impressed by welding.

Most important find something you like
Old 04-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #39
mrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Single Anchor Single-Seat Master Race
mrw3685's Tacoma Gallery
I picked one of the things I'd always wanted to do and went for it. Since it turns out Dinosaurs are for dorks, and Male Gigolo is wraught with disease, Fighter Pilot was the next available option.

Besides, Topgun did me in when I was 6, there was no turning back.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #40
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
You'r 20 what ever you do right now will change before it's all said and done, number one get an education in the future it will open doors in what ever line of work you decide on.

Products Discussed in this Thread