Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #41
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
POLICE! Can't beat them, join them!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #42
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 37, and already on my third career. Get at least a two year degree, hopefully a four. It will keep a lot of doors open if you're not sure which direction you're headed. State or federal jobs have greAt benefits and retirement. My brother in law works for the railroad and makes great money, but it's incredibly physically demanding and the hours are crazy. I run a small manufacturing business. Not a ton of money, but it's mon-thurs so three day weekends.
Dent Wizard is a pretty cool organization. Painless dent removal. They train and you pretty much work on your own.
I used to own/operate a mobile recon business doing minor paint, touch up, vinyl, interior repairs for car dealers. I could hook you up with an interior kit that I stopped using about a year ago for $1500 You could go right into business for yourself. At s minimum of $50 per repair, even if you only did 4 per day with a five day week, you could gross $1000 per week. Repairs take about 30-45 minutes start to finish. I did really well with it for a few years.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #43
MakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMakoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
MakoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
1) Try a few different jobs/trades to possibly steer you towards something you enjoy and can make money at.
2) Work hard and without complaint. Keep a good attitude. Ask lots of questions. This will set you above the others.
3) Get an education if you're not sure. It's always a good fall-back and may help steer you towards something you want to do. Not sure what to study? Management is always a good general degree for about any occupation.
4) Know lots of people. It's very possible they may someday help you get a good job.

It's worked for me, I love my job and the opportunities it has thrown me. And I make more money than I thought I would with great benefits to go with it. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #44
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw a piece on the news last night that was interesting. Financial analysts compared the , "get a job and work" to "go to college" folks, and on average, if you go to college you make more, but after factoring the cost of college, the "get a job" crowd ends up capable of saving more money at retirement age than the college crowd.

Many of the wealthiest people chose not to go to college and from my experience, I am far better off in my chosen career than ALL of my college classmates.

One thing to consider also, government jobs come with a pension. Even if you go to college and get a great job, the day you retire that job in most cases will never provide you another penny, while a career with a pension keeps on giving.

I think if you are lost in where you want your life to take you, military is by far a better choice than college. You get paid with full benefits, travel and are exposed to things you never would be otherwise. College is just a money sponge now a days and indeed, so 1980's. If you need college for a career you have already decided on, that is one thing but to go to college just to go to college, very poor financial choice.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #45
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Because engineering is cool and challenging.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #46
BatFan is on a distinguished road

Name: Steven
BatFan's Tacoma Gallery
I started working for an office equipment company working as a field service technician while I was still in school. After I graduated I just kinda stayed cause I couldn't find anything else. Been there 3 years and steady looking for jobs in the school and university systems. I have a Computer Networking degree from a local technical school, Ogeechee Technical College. I have always heard that, around here, companies would hire an IT person from OTC, with a 2 year degree, over graduates from the local university, Georgia Southern University, with a 4 year degree due to the hands on experience at the technical school. Georgia Southern even sends their IT staff out to the technical school to get proper hands on training. I have always loved tearing down and troubleshooting computers, and found networks to be just as much fun, if not more.

Just my own opinion. Computers will always be around and companies will always use them, servers and networks. So if the business thing falls through, look in taking a few IT courses, see how ya like it.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #47
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
After a lot of trial and error, I got back to the basics. What did I always like no matter what? I like to fix things. So I decided to make that my career. There are lot's of kinds of mechanics, so plenty of different ways to make that happen. I finally got myself into a large pharma company as a mechanic. I love it, and it pays very well.

Basics. What do you like to do. There are probably many ways to make that happen.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #48
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I grew up in a very small town where we did not get exposed to much in the line of carreer choices. After school you either go work in the bank or a store, or if you did wel in school you go to college to become a doctor.
So, I did not like the doctor idea, but decided to go to dental school (our dentist had just bought a really nice sports car, so that did it for me). About six months into dental school I realized that I did not want to do this for the rest of my life. They started talking about building bridges (tying teeth together), so I started thinking.. building bridges sounds like a lot more fun. I immediately dropped out and signed up for civil engineering major. I have been a civil engineer for almost 20 years and enjoy almost every day of it. I do construction management so I am out on construction sites quite a bit; I don't have to sit in the office all day.
Moral of the story - find something that you enjoy doing, don't just do it for the money. However, don't make your hobby your carreer, because then you will not be able to enjoy it as a hobby anymore.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #49
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw3685 View Post
I picked one of the things I'd always wanted to do and went for it. Since it turns out Dinosaurs are for dorks, and Male Gigolo is wraught with disease, Fighter Pilot was the next available option.

Besides, Topgun did me in when I was 6, there was no turning back.
I must be a dork? LOL Geology is pretty awesome, and you can call me a dork all day long, I'm laughing all the way to the bank.

But then, I went with invertebrate paleontology because dinosaurs don't pay very well and it's hard to get a job in vertebrate paleo (as in there just aren't that many).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoTacoma View Post
1)
3) Get an education if you're not sure. It's always a good fall-back and may help steer you towards something you want to do. Not sure what to study? Management is always a good general degree for about any occupation.
As discussed, that was true in the 1980's, it's not true now. A general business admin/management degree is virtually worthless.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #50
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I was working some lame ass boring job at a bank...applied for a bunch of different jobs within the bank...didnt get any of them...had a buddy who works for my current department tell me i needed to apply bc they were hiring and it was a ton of fun...applied and had a new job within a month...havent looked back
Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #51
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
I already have a job and I'm a pharmacy technician at Walgreens. Always figured I'd go into management so I figured the business degree would look good
Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #52
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
I already have a job and I'm a pharmacy technician at Walgreens. Always figured I'd go into management so I figured the business degree would look good
Keep in mind that no matter what you do in life, you almost always end up in some kind of management position (unless you choose not to take any advancement opportunities) where you need business skills.
So even as a civil engineer, a large part of my daily work is project management which also includes the business side of it.
So, even if your goal is not to be in a business position, getting business education is not a complete waste of time.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #53
Muscles is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Load Master
Name: Kyle
Muscles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
I was a mechanic certified by 7 manufacturers. I hated it as a career but it was a great hobby. what finally got me out of it was a car accident where I broke my back and can't wrench full time. I went back to school and am working on two degrees and plan on getting my EED. I'll eventually be a teacher and want to work with at risk youth.
how bad did you break your back? Did you try to go back to wrenching full time and it was bothering you? Im asking cuz i had 2 compression fractures in my spine 2 weeks ago and i work at UPS loading boxes...i wonder if ill be able to go back to that :/
Old 04-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #54
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
I did a ride along with the local PD on the night shift and loved it. Rest was history.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #55
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Oh, you're set then. Did you finish a four year? If not, I would do that. Doesn't matter in what. Maybe you can move up in Walgreens???
Old 04-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #56
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles View Post
how bad did you break your back? Did you try to go back to wrenching full time and it was bothering you? Im asking cuz i had 2 compression fractures in my spine 2 weeks ago and i work at UPS loading boxes...i wonder if ill be able to go back to that :/
I got hit at 35 MPH and it broke off the facets on my T-5/6 vertebrae I had to wear a TSLO brace for 8 months. This was 2 years ago and it still bothers me to this day unfortunately. there was also some permanent nerve damage. I can work on something for a few hours before it really starts to bother me; The next day is even worse. I take muscle relaxers and painkillers on a daily just to make it though the day. I will never be a career mechanic again. I'm going in to Special Education. I'd like to work with people who have acquired disabilities and show them that even though life dealt them a shitty it's not the end of the world.

I hope that you have a speedy full and complete recovery!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #57
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
For me it was a two step process, and I highly recomend this process:

Step 1: How long can you put up with school? (for me, 4 years)

Step 2: find the top 10 paying degrees with that education and pick the one you like the most (I chose mechanical & aeronautical engineering)

Picking work you love is a little BS because even if you "love" your work, you could be teamed with an asshat, so you might as well make some money.

Plus although engineering is not "fun", you do make some cool shit. The economy is tough for everyone though.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #58
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
For me it was a two step process, and I highly recomend this process:

Step 1: How long can you put up with school? (for me, 4 years)

Step 2: find the top 10 paying degrees with that education and pick the one you like the most (I chose mechanical & aeronautical engineering)

Picking work you love is a little BS because even if you "love" your work, you could be teamed with an asshat, so you might as well make some money.

Plus although engineering is not "fun", you do make some cool shit. The economy is tough for everyone though.
Of course if you hate your job and you're teamed with an asshat... oh God. I have been teamed up with good and bad co-workers. When you have a good one it's awesome. When you have a bad one it really helps to like your job, because it's that much easier to push yourself to prove you're better than the asshat.

You will spend almost 1/2 of your time awake for the next 40 years doing whatever you pick (or you'll decide you can't stick with it and find something else). You might as well be happy with it; money isn't everything.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethes View Post
Of course if you hate your job and you're teamed with an asshat... oh God. I have been teamed up with good and bad co-workers. When you have a good one it's awesome. When you have a bad one it really helps to like your job, because it's that much easier to push yourself to prove you're better than the asshat.

You will spend almost 1/2 of your time awake for the next 40 years doing whatever you pick (or you'll decide you can't stick with it and find something else). You might as well be happy with it; money isn't everything.
^^^this
Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #60
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethes View Post
I went with invertebrate paleontology because dinosaurs don't pay very well and it's hard to get a job in vertebrate paleo (as in there just aren't that many).
My invert paleo instructor was a former chief geologist for one of the oil companies before he retired and became head of the a geology department; he sort of said the same thing. I had a friend in college who got a MS in vertebrate paleontology and now works checking air conditioning vents for mold.

Products Discussed in this Thread